The 2019 Food Thread

The Nal

10 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Bubble and squeak is a great way to use up left over mashed potatoes and traditionally fried with cabbage to add the squeak. Gorgeous with a fried or poached egg on top. 

Poutine is the Canadian name for chips, cheese and gravy. ?

Excellent, thank you. It’s clear now why I never knew anything about bubble and squeak as anything containing cabbage has no place in my life. 

Cheese, chips and gravy however is another thing altogether. First experienced in the northern half of your fair isle somewhere around the mid 90’s I had absolutely no idea such a thing existed and I’ve been a fan ever since!?

Edited by MilkyJoe

1 minute ago, MilkyJoe said:

Excellent, thank you. It’s clear now why I never knew anything about bubble and squeak as nothing containing cabbage has no place in my life. 

Cheese, chips and gravy however is another thing altogether. First experienced in the northern half of your fair isle somewhere around the mid 90’s I had absolutely no idea such a thing existed and I’ve been a fan ever since!?

Excellent strategy.

2 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Excellent, thank you. It’s clear now why I never knew anything about bubble and squeak as nothing containing cabbage has no place in my life

I said cabbage is the traditional mix but I'm pretty sure that other stuff is used. But it's basically fried left over mash with crispy bits and is delicious. 

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

I said cabbage is the traditional mix but I'm pretty sure that other stuff is used. But it's basically fried left over mash with crispy bits and is delicious. 

Well I could probably be persuaded to try it if they made the squeak out of Halloumi...

5 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Still haven't tried the halloumi cone. Not sure if I should. Mixed reports. ?

No me neither. I have heard heard about them but from what I’ve read I wouldn’t go out of my way for one. I’ve never seen Strunpets with Crumpets at Glasto either but they used to do a decent Halloumi Crumpet when they were at Kendal Calling. And if you’re ever at Hawkshead brewery in Stavely, if they still do them, the little artisan bakery next door used to do a fabulous bacon, halloumi and rocket sandwich with hummus. It’s in my top 5 sarnies of all time!

1 hour ago, MilkyJoe said:

Excellent, thank you. It’s clear now why I never knew anything about bubble and squeak as anything containing cabbage has no place in my life. 

Cheese curds are used in Canada. My wife shuddered at the thought of chips and gravy - her first introduction to English food was school dinners, so is somewhat mistrustful even now - but actually tried some when we were in Montreal and literally had to eat etc.

6 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Despite nearing 50 years on this planet I genuinely do not know what Bubble and Squeak is. I have a feeling it’s something to do with potatoes but I honestly don’t know.

I would add to this and say basically anything left over from a roast, all diced up, chucked in a pan and fried. I tend to add an egg or two to bind it all together, so it’s a little bit like a roast dinner frittata... Served with a pouring of gravy, bleddy handsome. ?

16 hours ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

Here's my updated list based on recent posts in this and related threads and with some updated locations.  Not limited to traders who have confirmed for 2019. 

This is going to printed and laminated along with my clashfinder. 

Excellent work ?

2 hours ago, dccool said:

This is going to printed and laminated along with my clashfinder. 

Excellent work ?

I was thinking I'll add notes to my itinerary exported from clashfinder to google calendar.

It'd be great to  have a clashfinder app with a layer mapping food on the different areas, right? Maybe people could add scores/reviews. Where are all the festival(s) obsessed coding wizards?

Edited by Gabi_says

What's the best bang for your buck festival food? I reckon pie and mash will keep you going all day, while a burrito is made up of stuff that is actually borderline good for you. If you have to get something down quickly - chips or nachos.

44 minutes ago, Homer said:

What's the best bang for your buck festival food? I reckon pie and mash will keep you going all day, while a burrito is made up of stuff that is actually borderline good for you. If you have to get something down quickly - chips or nachos.

Long live the oggie 

Edited by The life of Pablo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I had one of their black pudding scotch eggs late at night, easily the most enjoyable thing I ate last festival.  Really hit the spot!  Happy they are back.

1 minute ago, al_coholic said:

Growler is so bad but so good at the same time. Not sure if they are still there by The Other Stage though

No the growler went a few years ago. Very good cost per calorie but that’s probably all it had going for it