The 2019 Food Thread

The Nal

3 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I had it, was looking forward to it having heard about it beforehand. Was woefully disappointed. Tasted like crap frozen chips and gravy. Maybe it was an off batch and willing to give it another try possibly. Unless there is another poutine van there and I'm getting the wrong end of the chip. 

Just back from Canada where poutine's a really big thing. I thought it was going to be a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. It wasn't.

43 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

OMG, have you not tried it? I nearly drowned in 2016 getting some of their grub. There was a bench nearby and the puddle was soo deep when I tired to navigate to it that everyones face looked in horror as it looked like I was about to create a tidal wave cos I wobbled so much. Managed to steady myself and sit down and get that lovely food down me gullet. 

39 minutes ago, Quark said:

Every year I have to hunt for the bastard rac shack cos I'm normally seven shades gone when I get that stodgy craving and I can never remember where it is! Glorious stuff, worth the queue 

I have confirmation that they will definitely  be back this year, phew!! I will let you know if they confirm their location. :)

16 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I have to say I have never tried it, walk by it a lot but it just doesn't appeal to me. Haven't tried the Goan fish curry or the Halloumi in the cones thing. 

I love my stodge so its all about Le Grande Bouffe, Annies MacNCheese and Le Rac Shack for me. 

See Le Grande Bouffe is one that everyone raves about that I had an awful experience with and have never been back. I got a pile of lukewarm hard potatoes that I threw away and ended up having to buy something else. Can just be bad timing or just not to your taste. Uncooked potato is one thing I cannot abide. The starch in it makes me heave! 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

See Le Grande Bouffe is one that everyone raves about that I had an awful experience with and have never been back. I got a pile of lukewarm hard potatoes that I threw away and ended up having to buy something else. Can just be bad timing or just not to your taste. Uncooked potato is one thing I cannot abide. The starch in it makes me heave! 

Potatoes in their raw form are poisonous so not surprised you near heaved. I have had a disappointing plate of food from Le Grande Bouffe but I just love creamy potatoes and bacon. It's my ultimate comfort food at Glastonbury. Problem with the gravy place were it was frozen chips being offered. I'll be swinging by again this year to see if things have improved and will be totally thrilled if it tastes even marginally better than last time. If not Le Rac Shack will be soaking up my dollars. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Can't say I can place this. What does it do? 

25 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Can't say I can place this. What does it do? 

Williams Green :)

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dosas?

Indeed! And very good ones! :D

15 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Proper dosas, not fake chapatis!! Here is a menu from last year. :D

Screenshot_2019-03-31_201617.jpg

Sweet! There's a really good dosa stall in our local market on a Saturday, will make sure I give this a go in the interests of scientific enquiry :P

6 hours ago, Simsy said:

Dosas are like a kind of Indian pancake, they do them with spiced potatoes or cheese. Think they are somewhere near William's green normally.

Thanks. Sounds right up my street but living in the sticks have not heard of Dosas. Miss London and being ahead of the trends but hey ho.... 

Edited by Beerqueen

7 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Thanks. Sounds right up my street but living in the sticks have not heard of Dosas. Miss London and being ahead of the trends but hey ho.... 

Haha, I only know about then from spending 5 days a year in a field in Pilton!

9 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

There’s a place in Chester that does great dosas. Well worth a visit if you’re nearby.