The 2019 Food Thread

The Nal

30 minutes ago, Boris said:

White sauce no.. but The Nal... that's way better value than Le Grand Ripoffe (I assume the usual ample bacon is concealed beneath the extreme cheese) ... Waistline wise it may not be so good ;) Mind you the Sausage-misers probably cook everything in butter/ oil anyway.

Oh sure, neither are healthy! 

On 3/8/2019 at 1:03 PM, H.M.V said:

Not sure if it's crates or not but they had to do something. Was a proper pool in front of them. 

DSC_0139.JPG

I meant wooden pallets but at time of writing my post, but I couldn't remember what they were called lol 

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In that case Kerrygold isn't the final destination  I find that you can't go wrong with some Beurre d'Isigny.

Don't get the Hats started on Kerrygold! I mean I'm Irish so it's pretty much in my dna but Hats is rather fond of the stuff. (when I say fond I mean obsessed) 

It should come to the surprise of absolutely nobody that I do strongly favour a pie. I miss Pieminister though, they did a great breakfast pie. I had one in 2008 on the Saturday morning, watching the Bedouin Jerrycan Band, with a pint of pear cider. A wonderful hangover cure and I was a very happy man until some bellend stood right in front of me: 

there was only about 300 people in the field! You’d have to go some to get in anyone’s way! 

So I encouraged said bellend to get out of my bloody way, and he apologised and moved. It was then I noticed it was the Arctic Monkeys singer fella. He’s very small, but I’ll not slag him off because let’s be fair, he did get out of the bloody way ??

Anyways: I digress. Pie. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cb4747 said:

On average how much does everyone spend on food at the festival? (Also very hungry from this thread)

We do one meal out a day so probably 10 each a day. We are working so get breakfast and lunch free - or dinner but we aren't normally back in the crew field for that. We also bring a lot of snacks so don't buy them. And a flask for tea. Rock and roll. 

11 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

It looks like Square Pie have closed their shop since the last festival and they seem to be selling in Waitrose etc rather than serving direct. :(  I'd be surprised if they are at the festival this year.

A quick google search and it seems they went into administration and have been taken over by beat  foods whoever they are. So probably are now just a wholesale brand. Pity, will be missed 

[Annual rant about Glasto food alert in your vicinity:]

No more Square Pies! Wah!

Also my goto after Pieminister lost their places.

Way too much proliferation of poncey, overpriced, pretentious food, rather than sensibly priced, comfort food staples for my liking over the years.

Bloody hipsters! Sausage(s) mash & peas for a reasonable(ish) price is harder to find than a Les Grand Bouffe equivalent at £9 a pop these days (though their sausages are legendary).

I generally just want a burger and chips. But you can't get just a simple burger and chips (easily) at Glasto these days without going on a trek (if you're not immediatly next to the Pyramid/Other). Oh yeah, I can still get just a burger and chips, but you're still going to charge me the same tenner you would've if I'd actually wanted the unwanted salad, and the over complicated choices of relishes, and the slice of pineapple/mango/strawberry/whatever pretentious ingredient you've added to what used to be a simple festival staple. Gourmet burgers my arse. It's still just a burger. Adding a slice of something shouldn't somehow double the price. Stop taking the piss.

I'll bet you'll be hard pushed to find a bacon/sausage roll and a cup of tea for breakfast for a fiver this year.

Sorry. That turned into a bit of a rant didn't it.

Seriously though, for those asking about budgeting per day:

Probably the said fiver minimum for breakfast. I like to add an elevenses smoothie to that (because veg intake (£3-£4)). You're presumably going to want at least one "proper" meal a day, so add another £7.50-£10.00 for that (and that's just for a burger/hog roast etc.). Plus your lunch/tea (a slice of cake, or a crepe, or a sandwich/roll will set you back £3-£4). Plus random teas and coffees or whatever soft drinks. Plus snacks. Plus are you adding your alcohol bill to this?

Please don't take me wrong. I honestly think they should add the words, "and Food" to the title "The Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts": There is that much variety there these days. More varied than some proper food fesivals I'd bet. But it's been at the expense of reasonably priced basics.

Thank whoever your god is that they still let you take your own in.

[/Annual rant about Glasto food alert in your vicinity:]

Yes. I am a fussy eater.

12 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

It looks like Square Pie have closed their shop since the last festival and they seem to be selling in Waitrose etc rather than serving direct. :(  I'd be surprised if they are at the festival this year.

Dammit. A pie brought me back to life last time after a few days of little sleep. I'm kind of more excited about the food than the line up right now.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Annual plea for more breakfast options than just five quid streaky bacon rolls.

Not sure if its been there since as I have had a couple of years off but there was a place at the entrance to the Park that did amazing bubble & squeak, with thick cut fried ham, poached egg and lots of Sriracha. It was the best thing I ate that year!

I like the tapas place with the flamenco dancer statue on top and there was a really good pizza place near Williams Green too.

I can't wait for the food!