Night bus to Glastonbury

Sasperella

I'm moving to Glasgow soon, most likely before the festival. Unfortunately, as I won't have been working at my new place long, I think I need to cut back the days holiday I take to four (which, rather distressingly, means being back in work on suicide Tuesday). I think the coach leaving Glastonbury around 9am sounds like the best choice (I hate Castle Cary for a start) but because the bastards charge the same for a single as a return, I'm thinking of getting the coach down too... 

There's a bus leaving Glasgow around 11pm which arrives around 8/9am. Has anyone ever got this bus or a similar long-ass night bus to the farm? Will it have nice, at least marginally reclining seats and be sleepable? Or am I going to turn up completely fucked if I go for that option?

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I'm moving to Glasgow soon, most likely before the festival. Unfortunately, as I won't have been working at my new place long, I think I need to cut back the days holiday I take to four (which, rather distressingly, means being back in work on suicide Tuesday). I think the coach leaving Glastonbury around 9am sounds like the best choice (I hate Castle Cary for a start) but because the bastards charge the same for a single as a return, I'm thinking of getting the coach down too... 

There's a bus leaving Glasgow around 11pm which arrives around 8/9am. Has anyone ever got this bus or a similar long-ass night bus to the farm? Will it have nice, at least marginally reclining seats and be sleepable? Or am I going to turn up completely fucked if I go for that option?

I was on the SEE coach in 2016. Ignoring how long it took (due to the weather that year) it was fine but don't think the seats reclined as was a fairly standard old coach. 

If I remember rightly everyone was full of energy to begin with but after the first service station stop, most went to sleep. When we started to get closer (maybe around Bristol) about 6/7am people started to waken.

I struggle to sleep on planes, buses etc but had a few drinks (beforehand) to help me sleep and managed to get some rest.

Edited by cammie81

12 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

I was on the SEE coach in 2016. Ignoring how long it took (due to the weather that year) it was fine but don't think the seats reclined as was a fairly standard old coach. 

If I remember rightly everyone was full of energy to begin with but after the first service station stop, most went to sleep. When we started to get closer (maybe around Bristol) about 6/7am people started to waken.

I struggle to sleep on planes, buses etc but had a few drinks (beforehand) to help me sleep and managed to get some rest.

Ah cool, thanks! Good to hear from someone who has done it. Was your coach particularly busy? And also, do you happen to know if the showers are open at the festival from the Wednesday? I've never showered at Glastonbury before but might in this case....

I got the bus from Edinburgh a couple of years ago, the seats went back a teeny bit but you were essentially sitting up all night... I brought a neck pillow and eye mask to block out the sun in the morning and was fairly comfy and got what I think was a fairly decent amount of sleep - but I can normally sleep anywhere, the other people I was travelling with said they didn't sleep that well. You do end up getting woken up every couple of hours for a stop at a services. It is nice just being taken directly there though, I would totally do the overnight coach again, the loss of sleep is balanced out by the journey being no hassle in my opinion :) 

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Ah cool, thanks! Good to hear from someone who has done it. Was your coach particularly busy? And also, do you happen to know if the showers are open at the festival from the Wednesday? I've never showered at Glastonbury before but might in this case....

It was just about full but there was space for everyone and all of their stuff (many had trolleys with cases of beers strapped on etc.). I'm not sure about the showers but would image they would be open on Wednesday.

I've not travelled from Scotland but from the North-West, with a similar total travel time (1hr on the last train out, a good wait at the coach station, then 0130 coach arriving on site roughly 7am).  Usually on the night coaches people are trying to sleep. I've always made sure I have headphones and an eye mask. Seats not the most reclining but not terrible. My coach normally makes 1 stop on the way before heading to site. People start to wake up around 6:30/7ish due to the sun coming up but mood is pretty chilled. On the final approach there's usually pressure on the driver to put the radio on and the spirit lifts. Getting onto the site quickly, pitching up and getting a beer inside makes it worth it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 2:06 PM, Tartan_Glasto said:

I just booked the Glasgow to Glastonbury NE coach. A littler nervous for it cause never been on a bus for that long and you never know who’s gonna be on it with you!

The convenience makes up for it though providing it all goes to schedule.

Should be one of them festival types. You’ll be fine. 

I recently flew home from Japan and clocked a “festival type” at the same airport going through security. Hope I sit next to her I thought as after 3 weeks solid working there I could do with some English company. 

Turns out she was one the same flight AND was sat next to me.  I actually wonder if BA has some sort of seating algorithm that matched us from our internet searches. We talked pretty much non stop for 13 hours.