1st ever Glasto tips?

Steveb72

Take lots of hats, take fancy dress that isn’t a particular outfit more a mismatch of multiple ones you don’t mind ruining.

take a few beers a box of wine and a bottle of spirits decanted out of the glass bottle.

eat in the green fields area never around the main stages.

talk to strangers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kashkin said:

Each to their own of course, but this sounds a great deal less convenient than cans to me...

Try getting a 3ltr bag of cider and then comparing the size and weight to a 6 pack of 500ml cans. You may change your mind. And the cider will still be stronger, so you're really talking 8 cans.

27 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Take lots of hats, take fancy dress that isn’t a particular outfit more a mismatch of multiple ones you don’t mind ruining.

take a few beers a box of wine and a bottle of spirits decanted out of the glass bottle.

eat in the green fields area never around the main stages.

talk to strangers

Never say never at Glastonbury.

When you go through the gate on Wednesday it will be like dying and going to heaven. When you leave on the Monday it’s like someone has just revived you and you head back to your normal life, but with a headful of incredible memories and a burning desire to return the following year.

enjoy every second you are on site

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

has just revived you and you head back to your normal life

This usually happens at some point in July for me. I leave the festival an empty, hollow shell of a human that has had the best week ever.

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Try getting a 3ltr bag of cider and then comparing the size and weight to a 6 pack of 500ml cans. You may change your mind. And the cider will still be stronger, so you're really talking 8 cans.

Okay but the original comment mentioned '35 pints' which is about 20ltr - massive. And the point of the cans, for me, is you just put a couple in your pockets when you go out and the rest remain in your tent. I wouldn't really be carrying a 6 pack around site.

How lucky to be a newbie.  Just drinking in the sights, sounds and smells for the first time is a never-to-be-forgotten experience.  You will walk for miles, probably 10 or 12 a day, so make sure your walking boots are worn in beforehand.

Explore as much as you can - particularly areas like the Green Fields.  Enjoy sitting and chilling.  I carry a fold up camping chair just to sit and watch the world go by - especially useful if the ground is damp.

If you are camping make sure you know where you've pitched you tent.  Locate it relative to fixed things like roadways and pylons.  Don't rely on it being next to the big blue tent because when you come back in the dark it will be surrounded by hundreds more big blue tents.

Make friends with your neighbours.  Offer them a drink or a bite to eat.  They'll keep an eye on your tent and you can do the same for them.

A headlight is very helpful in the dark to avoid tripping over guy ropes.

Enjoy new experiences.  The food at Glastonbury is superb.  Avoid burgers but enjoy eating from around the world.  The same with bands.  Make a point of seeing bands you've never heard of, don't just stick to what you know.  The circus and cabaret areas are well worth a visit too.

Pace yourself and enjoy.

22 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

How lucky to be a newbie.  Just drinking in the sights, sounds and smells for the first time is a never-to-be-forgotten experience.  You will walk for miles, probably 10 or 12 a day, so make sure your walking boots are worn in beforehand.

Explore as much as you can - particularly areas like the Green Fields.  Enjoy sitting and chilling.  I carry a fold up camping chair just to sit and watch the world go by - especially useful if the ground is damp.

If you are camping make sure you know where you've pitched you tent.  Locate it relative to fixed things like roadways and pylons.  Don't rely on it being next to the big blue tent because when you come back in the dark it will be surrounded by hundreds more big blue tents.

Make friends with your neighbours.  Offer them a drink or a bite to eat.  They'll keep an eye on your tent and you can do the same for them.

A headlight is very helpful in the dark to avoid tripping over guy ropes.

Enjoy new experiences.  The food at Glastonbury is superb.  Avoid burgers but enjoy eating from around the world.  The same with bands.  Make a point of seeing bands you've never heard of, don't just stick to what you know.  The circus and cabaret areas are well worth a visit too.

Pace yourself and enjoy.

Some burgers are pretty damn great.

20160625_170139.jpg

I agree that you can find excellent burgers but the point I was trying to make was that Glastonbury can be the chance to try new things, whether it's acts you've not seen before or food you've never tasted before. 

Don't take a pop up tent unless you want to have a terrible time. mine blew away on the first night I went. Don't take a hold all to carry your stuff in, your hands WILL feel like they're going to fall off and you'll end up crying (or maybe that's just me?). Really worth investing in a proper backpack with steel poles in people take travelling, even the cheapest one. Your back will thank you. 

Do take bin bags so you can sit anywhere even if it's a wash out. Earmark some money to have a nice cold pint, it's a refreshing change from the hot cans you'll be carrying around (although I think I have now conditioned myself to prefer it that way). Take trainers or normal shoes as well as wellies if you can as if it's dry/hot you will look enviously at the non sweaty feet and calves of others. 

All sounds much more complicated than my last visit in 94. Just pay the man £10 to use his ladder to get over the fence and drink and stuff for the next 5 days. I’m looking forward to experiencing it 25 years later. 

12 hours ago, Bennykill said:

All sounds much more complicated than my last visit in 94. Just pay the man £10 to use his ladder to get over the fence and drink and stuff for the next 5 days. I’m looking forward to experiencing it 25 years later. 

1995 - you could have saved that £10 if you waited until the Friday  - that was one of the years ' part of the fence came down ' - its claimed there was 80,000 Tickets sold and a estimated 80,000 none ticket holders - I missed the whole thing as I was working in the Guest Bar so only found out about if from Security.

Your going to find a lot of changes ' but don't expect to find some joker with a ladder '

In your day pack should be:

• A torch
  • Waterproof wear
  • Travel Johns (x 3)
  • The drinks you will drink for that day without paying for them
  • A spork
  • Hand sanitiser
  • Your last lock up receipt
  • Your phone (if you must) in an inside pocket
  • Money (obtained from a lock up) in at least two different pockets
  • A notepad and pen (interesting Green Fields talks or someone's number, if you get lucky)
  • A case for your sunglasses
  • Toilet roll or tissues. Double what you think you can get away with
Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 2