Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

On 4/7/2022 at 6:29 PM, Pinhead said:

Fucked off with that Gate D queue - always made worse by the topography- up a bloody hill than through 2 snakes at a slant...

Did B last time and was immeasurably better on the level.

Oh that bloody hill in 2011.  I could have cried.

2 minutes ago, Harry_W01 said:

I've never actually camped Penards before, I've seen a lot of people say it is the place to camp? is that because it's quite central to a lot of things? never really understood it?

Generally attracts the late night crew due to close proximity to the SEC and Silver Hayes etc. Pre-kids that was our go-to. Good being on the hill in case it rains a lot, too. 

1 hour ago, Harry_W01 said:

my group are hoping for Pennards this year (our coach arrives at 6am so fingers crossed) Park Home as a backup, solem reason is the co-op is nearby and in 2019 that was a lifesaver for scran and ice

I camp in Park Home - the co-op only came in 2019 but it was a blessing for ice! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CurrySauce said:

Apologies if this has been asked before but what time would you say oxylers is full by? Only three tents, but in 2019 we defo couldn't get in but I can't for the life of me remember what time we arrived.

Hoping to be at castle cary at 8:45 this year

You’ll be able to sneak 3 tents in if you’re there by midday, but probably not in a nice little circle.

• Thanks 1

We've decided we'd like to camp close to the Park, green/healing fields, but I'm concerned my friend may have an issue if Pennards gets too lively. It's her first time so I'm in charge of picking the field. I've only ever camped at Pennards and noise has never been a huge bother to me, but I'm not as sensitive to it.

What's South Park 1 or 2 like? Does anyone have any experience? Is it really that much quieter / less busy?

Hi all,

First glastonbury after trying to get tickets for like 10 years and trying to work out where to camp. 

Theres a group of 10 of us in 5 tents and liking the look of big ground, webbs Ash or pylon (but it seems to have been cut in half by staff camping). 

A couple of us will be arriving at around 5am on the Wednesday morning with all 5 tents to try and secure a spot at big ground/webbs ash but unsure how likely this is as I know they both very popular?

Any advise would be great. Cheers 

4 minutes ago, Charliehmiller said:

Hi all,

First glastonbury after trying to get tickets for like 10 years and trying to work out where to camp. 

Theres a group of 10 of us in 5 tents and liking the look of big ground, webbs Ash or pylon (but it seems to have been cut in half by staff camping). 

A couple of us will be arriving at around 5am on the Wednesday morning with all 5 tents to try and secure a spot at big ground/webbs ash but unsure how likely this is as I know they both very popular?

Any advise would be great. Cheers 

You’ll be fine in webs ash I’d say camped there in the past and it starts looking busy around 11 from memory 

We have always tried to get into Kidney Mead. Getting there early a must, queueing up at about 4am. Easy access to Pyramid and track leading to food and main drag towards West etc. Also not far to go if you manage to get through Gate C.

Aside from this year as we are at WV I’ve always camped in Dairy. Close to other and close-ish to park and not too much of a trek back from SE corner. Stayed there once since Arcadia moved and it was a bit louder but not too bad.

in 2015, when I camped with a few not so close friends who set up before I arrived in Oxlyers, which I didn’t really enjoy. Possibly because I got really sick one night and ended up having a fever in the tent at about 11pm with Chemical Brothers shaking the very ground below me.

33 minutes ago, ghandi said:

We have always tried to get into Kidney Mead. Getting there early a must, queueing up at about 4am. Easy access to Pyramid and track leading to food and main drag towards West etc. Also not far to go if you manage to get through Gate C.

We normally arrive between 7-8am and have always managed to get in and set up in Kidney Mead by about 10am. This year due to mobility issues have gone for Sticklinch with car park next door. Won’t be the same but couldn’t face that trek through the campervan fields to gate C and  Hill of death ! 

I camped once on Pennards Hill. Never again. My tent got damaged (drunk person fell on it) and came back from SE corner one morning to find a turd outside the door of our tent. Absolute animals.

Usually camp in worthy view now. I actually think the ~£150pp is worth it for the extra daytime value you get from the ticket after a decent night’s sleep.

(Just to say I am the most happy camper- done lots of unsupported multi-day hikes in the mountains - Pennards was just feral)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sedra said:

We normally arrive between 7-8am and have always managed to get in and set up in Kidney Mead by about 10am. This year due to mobility issues have gone for Sticklinch with car park next door. Won’t be the same but couldn’t face that trek through the campervan fields to gate C and  Hill of death ! 

My brother who is the top organiser should do it for a living, is trying to plan a route to gate B (?) , at the top of Big Gound for easier access. Don't think you get much choice though? Don't fancy lugging our cart up the hill from C to Kidney mead although getting there is better than leaving.

6 hours ago, Heather90 said:

Does anyone have any experience of how quick Row Mead and the lower parts of Hawkwell fill up?

We are on the 7am coach from London. Optimistically hoping to be in by midday

If you’re arriving at midday, the lower parts are likely to be full but you should be able to get in higher up. It’s a good spot, the two you’ve mentioned plus Michael’s Mead. There’s a lock up and and a great 24hr cafe there. The higher up, the better the view across the site too

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2022 at 3:11 AM, CurrySauce said:

Apologies if this has been asked before but what time would you say oxylers is full by? Only three tents, but in 2019 we defo couldn't get in but I can't for the life of me remember what time we arrived.

Hoping to be at castle cary at 8:45 this year

You should be fine. And as stated by mid day is about the cut off. In 2017 I arrived by coach around 11am and the rest of my group had gotten to the car park about an hour prior. By the time they got all their stuff in and I had collected my ticket and walked over  after entering it was almost noon and iirc I saw the camp site signage and it showed oxylers over 90% full. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

I camped once on Pennards Hill. Never again. My tent got damaged (drunk person fell on it) and came back from SE corner one morning to find a turd outside the door of our tent. Absolute animals.

Usually camp in worthy view now. I actually think the ~£150pp is worth it for the extra daytime value you get from the ticket after a decent night’s sleep.

(Just to say I am the most happy camper- done lots of unsupported multi-day hikes in the mountains - Pennards was just feral)

My 20 year old is going alone but his much older brother is camping at oxliers. I keep saying camp with your brother and his mates and then wander off to find your random friends (they are good brothers but very different fish) but wonder if oxliers would be the place where he would find similar age people. 

On 5/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, kalifire said:

We've decided we'd like to camp close to the Park, green/healing fields, but I'm concerned my friend may have an issue if Pennards gets too lively. It's her first time so I'm in charge of picking the field. I've only ever camped at Pennards and noise has never been a huge bother to me, but I'm not as sensitive to it.

What's South Park 1 or 2 like? Does anyone have any experience? Is it really that much quieter / less busy?

We camp at south park 2 and yeah it is pretty quiet up there, you couldn't be any further out of it as your next to the back fence.  You can sort of cut through to JP and Park.  We like it.  It is miles from SE Corner, to the point where you sober up by the time you get 'home'

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, kalifire said:

Yes, heaps quieter than the likes of Pennards. Have camped in South Park 1 a lot over the years.

Pros would be: quieter, so easy to fit in late arrivals on Thurs/Fri. Arcadia and Park will be on your route home to tempt you to keep the night going with a short walk home after. Cineramageddon = a stall for some basic food and drink (having a cold beer readily available after setting up in the heat one year was amazing). Stand-alone tap for filling up water carriers. 

Cons: a trek to Pyramid/John Pee or Gates B and C (do everything to enter via D if driving). Always a bit of a morning queue for long drops at point SP1 meets SP2, has urinals tho and compost toilets by Cinema. And can easily walk on to Arcadia area if cannot stomach queue and you'll find plenty free (with more stalls for food on return trip).

Last camped there 2017 so not the most up to date review. We only changed due to being in a smaller group and entering via Gate A so decided to mix it up. If I were in a large group arriving by car would defo head there again.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1