Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

4 minutes ago, Filthy said:

Does anyone know when the gate from campervan to the site opens usually, what are the queues like and would we be able to take tents in from there after camping outside our friends van? 

The gates all open at the same time. 8am on the Wednesday. The queues will be mental, people queue all night but it should die down about 10am. Yes you can take tents in. 

3 minutes ago, Filthy said:

Does anyone know when the gate from campervan to the site opens usually and would we be able to take tents in from there after camping outside our friends van?

Assuming you mean CV East, there’s no dedicated campervan gate, access to site is through Pedestrian Gate C along with everyone else.

Can’t imagine there would be the slightest issue with taking tents in, but if you’re trying to get in early to bag a good spot then you’d need to queue up from v early hours of Weds morning. 

54 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Assuming you mean CV East, there’s no dedicated campervan gate, access to site is through Pedestrian Gate C along with everyone else.

Can’t imagine there would be the slightest issue with taking tents in, but if you’re trying to get in early to bag a good spot then you’d need to queue up from v early hours of Weds morning. 

Thanks mate, thought we'd found a loop hole for a minute 

21 minutes ago, Filthy said:

Yep, alas not that way. 😉

Think the only real loopholes are to have mates volunteering or working on site who can get a tent in early - pretty sure they can’t put them up before gates opening time though or they get removed. 

Might also work having friends in Worthy View or Sticklinch, but would owe them a fair few ciders asking them to get down to the gates for 8am with a tent 😂

5 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Yep, alas not that way. 😉

Think the only real loopholes are to have mates volunteering or working on site who can get a tent in early - pretty sure they can’t put them up before gates opening time though or they get removed. 

Might also work having friends in Worthy View or Sticklinch, but would owe them a fair few ciders asking them to get down to the gates for 8am with a tent 😂

The same mates of ours always do the overnight queue and bring the tents in, we stay in a b&b and leave at 5am to join the queue and help them once we get in. We were trying to find them an easier method 

33 minutes ago, Filthy said:

It was sort of a loophole when CV West existed as it was much smaller. The one time I stayed there, there was a large number of people with friends who were going in to pitch tents. 

If it's my choice: Pylon. Mainly out of laziness lugging stuff from the coaches, but my mates and I usually arrive at different times across the Wednesday and it fills up a little slower than most. Bit quieter at night too.

It's also not bad at all for JP, FKA Beat Hotel, and Silver Hayes, which is where we typically end up a lot of the time. Not too shabby for Pyramid/Other, either. Just a total mission from the SE Corner, but you can't win 'em all.

1 hour ago, foggy1010 said:

Pylon Ground - This decision is kinda forced as we're getting a Thursday Coach and prefer to get set up asap. We did the same in 2019 and don't mind the walk back from SE corner etc

Is Pylon Ground as loud as some posts seem to suggest? The humming?

On 5/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, kalifire said:

We've decided we'd like to camp close to the Park, green/healing fields, but I'm concerned my friend may have an issue if Pennards gets too lively. It's her first time so I'm in charge of picking the field. I've only ever camped at Pennards and noise has never been a huge bother to me, but I'm not as sensitive to it.

What's South Park 1 or 2 like? Does anyone have any experience? Is it really that much quieter / less busy?

It is deffo quiter. We are gunning for either of those again this year.  I got there Thursday a few years ago and still found space a plenty

On 6/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, TownesMR said:

Is Pylon Ground as loud as some posts seem to suggest? The humming?

Camped there nearly every year (and Rivermead) and never noticed the sound of the pylons tbh, not worth noting anyway. Only problem we ever found is if you camp to the east of the field next to the fence, then traffic coming down the path early in the morning can wake you up sometimes at 7am. Wont be a problem this year as that part is staff camping now

... so are we certain there won't be any public toilets in Pylon/Rivermead, so nearest are at the top of Darble or across the stream in Bushy? They are going to be rammed, there were massive queues when they had bogs in Pylon so not sure what they are going to be like now?

24 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

... so are we certain there won't be any public toilets in Pylon/Rivermead, so nearest are at the top of Darble or across the stream in Bushy? They are going to be rammed, there were massive queues when they had bogs in Pylon so not sure what they are going to be like now?

So there was an ariel photo from Twitter on here somewhere and it showed the new crew camping section in Pylon and the toilets were outside of the fenced off area and on the opposite side of the path to where they usually are

26 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Nah, I reckon that if these loos were for crew they wouldn't be on the public map.Screenshot_20220613-194610.thumb.png.0fc802d6514b9b9cdf6c8ce9712dfe7f.png

18 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

So there was an ariel photo from Twitter on here somewhere and it showed the new crew camping section in Pylon and the toilets were outside of the fenced off area and on the opposite side of the path to where they usually are

Not sure if this will work, #technophobe was in Glasto Cam thread!

Slightly different angle taken today

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/192662-glastocam/?do=findComment&comment=6384001

used to be little field just off the family field right next to the fence (which is now gated and used by staff of some sort) tried dragon field for a couple of year but have been in row mead for over 10 years now, hopefully back in there again this year 🙂

28 minutes ago, broken monkey said:

Can anyone remember is Bushy had gents urinals in 2019? This usually helps alleviate toilet queues. 

Yes there were urinals at the bottom of Bushy in 2019. There was a turd in the grill in one of them last time, stayed for many days, still haunts me now...

12 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

Yes there were urinals at the bottom of Bushy in 2019. There was a turd in the grill in one of them last time, stayed for many days, still haunts me now...

12 hours ago, The Other Steve said:

Yeah they definitely did, just to the left of the compost loos

Thanks for the replies. Great to know and may be enough to tempt us back to Bushy after Rivermead for the last few fests.

Looking for a general idea on where to camp. I'm driving down on wednedsay with no specific time to arrive. but probably 11am ish.

2 friends coach arrives around 4pm wednesday and I have 3 more coming on thursday.

I've only ever camped in Oxlyers but I'm going to assume that'll be impossible.

67 robberies committed at glastonbury in 2019, 25 of them were in the field I camped in (including us) - I had nothing taken but they took my mates whole bumbag and tried to rob someone else's phone but he sat up (still asleep) and I guess they ran. I believe we were in Baileys - we were v close to cinamageddon but round the corner. I think it is the luck of the draw tbh but also I feel some of the outlying campsites could be tempting for thefts because they are so quiet. Probably the last time I wear earplugs at a festival, but just something to be aware of, we are fairly sure we worked out who it was because after my friend got understandably upset everything bar her cash magically turned up... If it was who we thought it was, they just brazenly camped a few tents away for the rest of the time. It didn't spoil our time because nothing possibly could.