Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

So we're thinking that this year we're going to camp in a totally different area and try and get into Big Ground, mix it up a bit after years of Dairy/Paines. 

Our mates will be getting there early doors Wednesday and taking our tent, but we won't be arriving until midday Thursday. 

Will we still be able to park in the East car park and get in via Ped Gate B? Or does that fill up by then? 

Thanks. 

On 5/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, kalifire said:

We've decided we'd like to camp close to the Park, green/healing fields, but I'm concerned my friend may have an issue if Pennards gets too lively. It's her first time so I'm in charge of picking the field. I've only ever camped at Pennards and noise has never been a huge bother to me, but I'm not as sensitive to it.

What's South Park 1 or 2 like? Does anyone have any experience? Is it really that much quieter / less busy?

This is admittedly going back quite a bit, but we camped in South Park 2 in 2011 when we had 30 of us wanting to camp together and couldn't get in anywhere remotely central by the time we got through the gates at 11am on the Wednesday.

Pros:  Got everyone camped together, no through traffic (apart from those camped near you), good views of the site, didn't get really muddy unlike more central camping parts, was quieter if you wanted a good kip (especially in the daytime), was near ish to The Park (Arcadia was still in the SE Corner back then)

Cons: Was a long way from the Pyramid, JPT, SE Corner, Acoustic etc, if you wanted to watch something on the Pyramid and were at camp you had to give it at least an hour, was uphill so hiking our kit to and from East Car parks was quite painful, not many toilets as was (then) in the corner of the site but I think that's improved since then, hardly any food stalls, again I think that's improved now Cinemagaddon is there, nearest ones were in The Park,  quite a long trek back each night from SE Corner which sobered you up.

I think now its a bit more of a central spot given the site has expanded and Arcadia is now in the middle of Park Home, did feel a little that we were on the outskirts of the festival and a bit out of the way but it was 11 years ago and things have changed since then. 🙂 

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

This is admittedly going back quite a bit, but we camped in South Park 2 in 2011 when we had 30 of us wanting to camp together and couldn't get in anywhere remotely central by the time we got through the gates at 11am on the Wednesday.

Pros:  Got everyone camped together, no through traffic (apart from those camped near you), good views of the site, didn't get really muddy unlike more central camping parts, was quieter if you wanted a good kip (especially in the daytime), was near ish to The Park (Arcadia was still in the SE Corner back then)

Cons: Was a long way from the Pyramid, JPT, SE Corner, Acoustic etc, if you wanted to watch something on the Pyramid and were at camp you had to give it at least an hour, was uphill so hiking our kit to and from East Car parks was quite painful, not many toilets as was (then) in the corner of the site but I think that's improved since then, hardly any food stalls, again I think that's improved now Cinemagaddon is there, nearest ones were in The Park,  quite a long trek back each night from SE Corner which sobered you up.

I think now its a bit more of a central spot given the site has expanded and Arcadia is now in the middle of Park Home, did feel a little that we were on the outskirts of the festival and a bit out of the way but it was 11 years ago and things have changed since then. 🙂 

Hope that helps.

On the topic of South Park fields, can you cut through the bit in my picture>>>my addled mind can't remember from last time!!!

park-cutthrough.jpg

1 minute ago, Camden Leisure Pirate said:

On the topic of South Park fields, can you cut through the bit in my picture>>>my addled mind can't remember from last time!!!

park-cutthrough.jpg

No you can't...which is quite annoying!

That bit is vehicle gate access only.

Edited by gooner1990
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

No you can't...which is quite annoying!

That bit is vehicle gate access only.

Aaaah bugger! I had a feeling that was the case! Thanks G! 

To be fair it would be a bit more of a prime spot otherwise, back to Paines for me😂

7 minutes ago, Camden Leisure Pirate said:

Aaaah bugger! I had a feeling that was the case! Thanks G! 

To be fair it would be a bit more of a prime spot otherwise, back to Paines for me😂

I usually camp against the fence next to that grey line going towards Paines....its 100% vehicle access only!

22 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I usually camp against the fence next to that grey line going towards Paines....its 100% vehicle access only!

Thats a great spot! we have been in the second field near the T junction for the last couple, but I did wonder about the fenceline thought that may be a bit of a hidden gem! good for the water tap too!

41 minutes ago, Camden Leisure Pirate said:

Thats a great spot! we have been in the second field near the T junction for the last couple, but I did wonder about the fenceline thought that may be a bit of a hidden gem! good for the water tap too!

Its good - you can sit in your campsite and watch Arcadia/Pangea. 🙂 

Looking at trying the bottom of Lime Kiln behind the lock ups as per picture below. Anyone got any experience of camping here. As far as I can tell it's public and not part of hospitality/family camping. Think it is reasonably flat that far down

image.jpeg.9e80bea72fe398bd957ae0f4aae01873.jpeg

Edited by mazola

Tending to arrive quite late/from far away/by public transport , we camped a couple of times around Pylon, which was totally fine. Then we tried WV for the first year, where I had no complaints (luckily I drink just enough for it to give me courage for the climb but not as much as to find it painful). At that time the shuttles were not really working so crossing the whole site back and forth did hurt.

We did camplights a couple of times, which honestly was brilliant, but yes it takes some prime space away. I found it quite quiet for a "Pennards" location.

I do like to be as close as possible to the south side so WV it is this year as camplight is just a ghost on the map, though the cost is starting to hurt. Finishing the day at Strummerville or Park, and breakfast in the Greenfields is just perfect.

Evening troops, just a quick one 

there’s 7 of us going (5 tents in all)- 3 of the tents will be arriving on-site Wednesday afternoon, and the other 2 of us are contemplating doing Tuesday overnight just for a decent enough spot

What’s the realistic chances of getting pitched up  Oxylers with 2 tents , then waiting for the others to arrive with adequate space left over for the other 3? 

2 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

there’s 7 of us going (5 tents in all)- 3 of the tents will be arriving on-site Wednesday afternoon, and the other 2 of us are contemplating doing Tuesday overnight just for a decent enough spot

What’s the realistic chances of getting pitched up  Oxylers with 2 tents , then waiting for the others to arrive with adequate space left over for the other 3? 

Take all the tents tuesday night and give your mates the sleeping bags / crates / chairs. Or take like 2 each so 4/5 are pitched and then you could easily save room for the last one i' m sure

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Take all the tents tuesday night and give your mates the sleeping bags / crates / chairs. Or take like 2 each so 4/5 are pitched and then you could easily save room for the last one i' m sure

Ah cheers yeah that was potentially on the cards just unsure if we’ll see them beforehand to get the tents and stuff as they’re coming from elsewhere , but thanking you! 

14 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Ah cheers yeah that was potentially on the cards just unsure if we’ll see them beforehand to get the tents and stuff as they’re coming from elsewhere , but thanking you! 

No worries, note that i haven't been before but we were looking at midday for oxylers with 5 tents so pretty similar situation and told unlikely 🙂 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Obiginnaw said:

I would say you have a pretty good chance. We would do overnight on Tuesday, get a spot in oxylers and manage to save at least two tent spaces for either Wednesday evening arrivals, or in one case a Thursday morning arrival. I think we may have pegged out a spare inner for the Thursday space. You do have at least one person hanging around though to keep the space. Oxylers fills up quick, but keeping that space for Wednesday afternoon arrivals shouldn't be a problem. 

That said, last time I camped in oxylers we had some ladsladslads arrive overnight on Wednesday and pitch their tent over our tent door - how we didn't hear them I don't know, but I was pissed off at just how inconsiderate it was - a corner of their tent was fully in our porch. Got up, opened the door, got out and accidentally tripped straight on to their tent/bodies, much to their sleeping shock. They had left a bunch of room on the other side to have a communal area with their mates next door, so I told them that I was moving them. Their tent wasn't pegged down, so I dragged it in to that space, went to the loo, then we got up and made breakfast.

Moving their tent became a bit of a game over the rest of the festival. They were late risers, so we were generally able to have our breakfast in the space and go out for the day, then when they got up they would move their tent back in our space, then we would move it back when we came for resupplies etc.

The system actually worked alright, but was a good lesson that even if you think you couldn't possibly be leaving room for someone to stick a tent in your little communal area, you're wrong. 

16 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Where abouts is the BBC studio usually situated on the map? It looks like its next to the tipi village?

When I was working on the Stonebridge bar last year as I was serving people I had The Park main stage on my right, ribbon tower in the middle and the BBC broadcast studio on my left, few of the presenters and crew came down to our bar for drinks on occasion.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, nikkic said:

So we're thinking that this year we're going to camp in a totally different area and try and get into Big Ground, mix it up a bit after years of Dairy/Paines. 

Our mates will be getting there early doors Wednesday and taking our tent, but we won't be arriving until midday Thursday. 

Will we still be able to park in the East car park and get in via Ped Gate B? Or does that fill up by then? 

Thanks. 

Anybody got a clue?! 

18 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Its good - you can sit in your campsite and watch Arcadia/Pangea. 🙂 

You know I hadn't even considered that! but now it will definitely be a consideration when pitching! I do like early eve walk in past Arcadia as well, always gets the excitement going for the eve ahead! 

12 hours ago, Obiginnaw said:

They could post/courier them to you? Might not be too pricey an option for the convenience of guaranteeing all tents pitched in a  prime location by mid morning Wednesday. 

6 hours ago, blutarsky said:

They could post/courier them to you? Might not be too pricey an option for the convenience of guaranteeing all tents pitched in a  prime location by mid morning Wednesday. 

yeah did think about this, i mean we're not hell-bent on getting Oxylers, but if there's an option to not be fully in row Z with an hour to walk anywhere then we'd take it! I'm presuming Big Ground fills up just as quickly as well, but maybe a bee-line to dairy grounds with 2 or 3 tents might be the way to go and still have space in the afternoon, as i don't want to set up at 8am then sit there for 6 hours telling people they can't camp here because i'm waiting for mates 😂

On 5/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, mazola said:

Looking at trying the bottom of Lime Kiln behind the lock ups as per picture below. Anyone got any experience of camping here. As far as I can tell it's public and not part of hospitality/family camping. Think it is reasonably flat that far down

image.jpeg.9e80bea72fe398bd957ae0f4aae01873.jpeg

Interested in this as well. 

Additionally, any insight as to when Lower Mead fills up? Will just be me and my tent so probably don't need too much space. Coach leaves London at 11am, not sure when I can reasonably expect to get in. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a quick question for those who have camped in Bushy Ground that last few festivals. Are there urinals set up alongside the main compost toilets in the centre of the field?

We've camped in Rivermead the last few fests and having these at the bottom of Pylon have been a godsend when the queues build up in the mornings. With Pylon now mostly staff camping, it looks like these will no longer be available sadly.

Does anyone know when the gate from campervan to the site opens usually, what are the queues like and would we be able to take tents in from there after camping outside our friends van? 

Edited by Filthy