Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

23 hours ago, Divein said:

This has just reminded me to re-ignite my campaign to have two separate entry queues, one for anyone with anything being wheeled/dragged and one for people carrying their stuff. This is what makes these queues go so slow, is the stopping and starting as people struggle to drag their stuff.

This looks like Gate A and I bet I'm in there somewhere.

My god I’d be behind that campaign. If you wanna bring 10 crates, a massive tent per person, enough food to feed an army, camping chairs and the kitchen sink with you be my guest but do it somewhere else.

one tent bag, a few drinks for set up and everything else stuck on my backpack. 

Do a second trip to the car in the afternoon for everything else when there’s no queue 

16 hours ago, Padgey said:

Michaels Mead every year, pitch up at the top of the hill near the ITV West setup. Always been a good place for us as the ground doesn't get bad with the bad weather, and it not full of them rowdy young folk!! Great view over the site as well. Last year we parked West and it was a much better route to where we camp, although Gate A was a nightmare at 10:30am.

Do you think if arriving WED afternoon is still possible place two small tents in Michael's Mead?

Edited by AlexOvd

I've always camped at Darble just facing the property lock up because by the time I get to gate A I can't be bothered going any further (especially 2016, nearly died pulling my trolley through the trenches to gate A). Staying at WV this year though, looking forward to it.

5 hours ago, McCor said:

As with every year, we’re coming by coach from Oxford, should arrive weds mid afternoon.

Breeze through gate A then take a right and a nice easy walk to Darble / Pylon.

I'm on the coach from Oxford this year, not been on the coach since 2015. 

Does it still depart from outside the Playhouse?  What were the departure/return times in more recent years?

2004 - Top Webbs Ash

2005 - Kidney Mead

2007 - Big Ground

2008 - Kidney Mead

2009 - Kidney Mead

2010 - Big Ground

2011 - South Park 2

2013 - Hawkwell

2014 - Hawkwell

2015 - Park Home

2016- Park Home

2017 - Park Home

2019 - Crew Camping

Will be aiming for Park Home again this year (the part sandwiched by The Park and Arcadia/Pangea)

19 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

Do you think if arriving WED afternoon is still possible place two small tents in Michael's Mead?

It doesn't fill up as quick as other fields and there are usually little bits of spare space dotted around on Wednesday afternoon, usually full up by Thursday though.

Happy to give you the heads up on the day.

Edited by Padgey

Been twice & called Oxlyers my home both those years, really enjoy the location & waking up to the Other Stage soundcheck to remind you that you're at Glasto. 

Was lucky enough to get a coach ticket, although it's leaving london at 12, so imagine I might not see the farm till about 5. 

Feeling like Oxlyers may be at capacity by that time, so may need to find a new place to camp, thinking we may end up closer towards PHG or Paines. 

We do have some first timers driving up, just not sure if I can trust them to find a spot for us. Worried they may end up on the wrong side of the farm. 😂

2019 was my first Glastonbury, and I camped in Oxylers. However, it was right on the edge of the path by the ice cream van at the back of the Other Stage field. What a mistake that was. My tent got absolutely wrecked form people stepping/falling on it all weekend. The noise was constant, so got barely any sleep. For some of the more popular sets (Lewis Capaldi), the crowd were even stood in our camp watching the gig.

So this year, I don't care where I'm camped as long as it's not right next to one of the busiest paths in the whole festival!

21 minutes ago, Diamond24 said:

2019 was my first Glastonbury, and I camped in Oxylers. However, it was right on the edge of the path by the ice cream van at the back of the Other Stage field. What a mistake that was. My tent got absolutely wrecked form people stepping/falling on it all weekend. The noise was constant, so got barely any sleep. For some of the more popular sets (Lewis Capaldi), the crowd were even stood in our camp watching the gig.

So this year, I don't care where I'm camped as long as it's not right next to one of the busiest paths in the whole festival!

Wow that sounds absolutely brutal. I've never been attracted to camping somewhere to central. Would much rather an extra 15 minute walk for peace and quiet, even when I was younger.

15 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m still undecided yet as too many variables and we have a big tent. I’m not an overnight queue camper but I plan to get there around 8am. Could be in the queue for hours so basic plan is probably head for gate D, turn right and get as far down as we possibly can.

First time visit for my group this year - is there an average queuing time for people arriving around 8am? I think our bus gets in at 8.45am

40 minutes ago, Diamond24 said:

If you camped in the second part of Oxylers behind the path that dissects it from the section you camped in then you’d have pretty much all the positives but none of those negatives. But that said there are plenty of other campsites close enough by that aren’t nearly as hectic anyway.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

25 minutes ago, AshwaGandhi said:

Wow that sounds absolutely brutal. I've never been attracted to camping somewhere to central. Would much rather an extra 15 minute walk for peace and quiet, even when I was younger.

Our coach was really late, and our friends said they had a spot for us. That ended up being the spot! It was the path that was the killer. The fear of someone falling on you as you sleep was horrendous. You had a tiny bit of time between say 5-7am where there would only be dribs and drabs walking past, but other than that it was very busy,

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you camped in the second part of Oxylers behind the path that dissects it from the section you camped in then you’d have pretty much all the positives but none of those negatives. But that said there are plenty of other campsites close enough by that aren’t nearly as hectic anyway.

Yeah, I was happy with how close Oxylers was to everything. Very convenient to get everywhere. So I may consider camping further into Oxylers, away from the main path, this year. Depending on what time I arrive.

26 minutes ago, northernringo said:

First time visit for my group this year - is there an average queuing time for people arriving around 8am? I think our bus gets in at 8.45am

You’ll be fine if you’re on the bus, difficult to say exactly how long because it depends on how many coaches arrive at that time but they get a separate queue at gate A, which will be much shorter than the one for everyone arriving by car which I’ll be in.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I can’t remember exactly where on site it was but I think the worst camping spot I’ve ever seen was someone basically camped more or less in the entrance to a urinal. Wish I’d taken a picture. 

Some people are so desperate to camp in certain fields that they do this. Have seen people camp really close to the longdrops a few times.

58 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes, once you've figured out whether you want to be central or in the burbs, where you camp in your chosen field is probably more important than which field you camp in, to be honest. That's something you fine tune over more than one festival. I find people are loathe to share such specific information, especially when they're sitting on a sweet little spot they want to reclaim!

About two thirds up Pennards, a couple of tents in from the path that runs across the middle, and towards the Park field is my sweet spot. There are no trees for shade and no notable benefits on paper, however most people who leave the Park field do so at the top towards the Stone Circle (walking along the path separating Pennards from the Tipi fields) or at the bottom towards Arcadia, making the paths along those sides the busiest.

The path across the middle has fewer passing traffic and is mostly people camping in Pennards. Same for the path running down the middle of it. It takes time for most people to reach the Park field, meaning the toilets at the top of Pennards can often be relatively quiet and clean.

Does anyone have a very specific spot they've discovered?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Yes, once you've figured out whether you want to be central or in the burbs, where you camp in your chosen field is probably more important than which field you camp in, to be honest. That's something you fine tune over more than one festival. I find people are loathe to share such specific information, especially when they're sitting on a sweet little spot they want to reclaim!

About two thirds up Pennards, a couple of tents in from the path that runs across the middle, and towards the Park field is my sweet spot. There are no trees for shade and no notable benefits on paper, however most people who leave the Park field do so at the top towards the Stone Circle (walking along the path separating Pennards from the Tipi fields) or at the bottom towards Arcadia, making the paths along those sides the busiest.

The path across the middle has fewer passing traffic and is mostly people camping in Pennards. Same for the path running down the middle of it. It takes time for most people to reach the Park field, meaning the toilets at the top of Pennards can often be relatively quiet and clean.

Does anyone have a very specific spot they've discovered?

It is definitely a fine art which I guess a lot of is down to personal preference. For example if you take Oxylers as an example, it always surprises me that it generally fills up from the middle out. Now I get the benefits of that, you’re further away from the path so less noise and you have less people having to walk past your tent to get to theirs, but equally being right in the middle must be an absolute nightmare navigating to and from your tent. I would’ve thought the sweet spot would be maybe 3/4/5 tents from a path, but it appears not from the way the fields fill up.

4 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

Been twice & called Oxlyers my home both those years, really enjoy the location & waking up to the Other Stage soundcheck to remind you that you're at Glasto. 

Was lucky enough to get a coach ticket, although it's leaving london at 12, so imagine I might not see the farm till about 5. 

Feeling like Oxlyers may be at capacity by that time, so may need to find a new place to camp, thinking we may end up closer towards PHG or Paines. 

We do have some first timers driving up, just not sure if I can trust them to find a spot for us. Worried they may end up on the wrong side of the farm. 😂

I arrived at around 6pm in 2019 and I was able to get my three man tent into Oxlyers relatively easily. Although partly because friends had arrived earlier that day and secured a spot.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It is definitely a fine art which I guess a lot of is down to personal preference. For example if you take Oxylers as an example, it always surprises me that it generally fills up from the middle out. Now I get the benefits of that, you’re further away from the path so less noise and you have less people having to walk past your tent to get to theirs, but equally being right in the middle must be an absolute nightmare navigating to and from your tent. I would’ve thought the sweet spot would be maybe 3/4/5 tents from a path, but it appears not from the way the fields fill up.

I did 3 years in a row about 3 tents back from the path directly in the middle of the other stage field. Even that far back from the path when Blondie played there were people all around our tents. The Sunday night in 2016 I was woken up by 2 girls pissing on the side of the tent. Like said previously it seemed noisy all the time due to people walking back and forth either from Silver Hayes or Arcadia etc... My friends all wanted to camp there every year and the protestors were outnumbered. Well never again for me!!

I heard that you can arrive at the car parks from Tuesday evening? I'm driving from Kent so this would be ideal to get an early spot in the queue Wednesday.

Has anybody done this and could say whether or not it's worth the kip in the car? Makes minimal odds imo if i'd have to be up at the buttcrack of dawn to get to the farm by 8am.

10 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Past 3 or 4 years I've camped at the back of Oxylers, and I've had enough of it to be honest. It takes a good 10 minutes of Krypton Factoring to get to the tent from the path, and a decent route never seems to establish itself. Trouble is the group I'm with is pretty big now what with friends of friends being added to each year, really it's 3 or 4 groups with lots of overlaps, and as we've been able to camp all together no one wants to change.

I've said I wanna move further out, I've suggested Lime Kiln on the grounds that it was empty when we walked through it on the Wednesday last time and we'd all fit, but people are complaining it's too far. Think we will end up splitting the group up, but it's messy as the people are all parts of various sub groups if that makes any sense. 

We did have a good spot at Park Home but where we were is now on the main path to Pangea/Arcadia so that's out of the window

14 minutes ago, George1399 said:

I heard that you can arrive at the car parks from Tuesday evening? I'm driving from Kent so this would be ideal to get an early spot in the queue Wednesday.

Has anybody done this and could say whether or not it's worth the kip in the car? Makes minimal odds imo if i'd have to be up at the buttcrack of dawn to get to the farm by 8am.

Car parks open at 9pm. Probably easier arriving around then, having a kip in the car. But the queues will be starting to get big from around 4am.

But if you aren't fussed about camping in one of the main areas, then I would leave it till Wednesday morning and arrive about 10:00am and you should just about walk straight in