Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

Just now, The Nal said:

I should add that in addition to human and cow excriment and urine, Oxylers also smells of industrial dye, biocides, pungent industrial "fragrance" and surfactants 24/7.

Its an awful place to walk past never mind camp in for 5 days. 

Yeah I can never see the appeal.

Sure they all just wake up, inhale a balloon and then descend en masse to the Beat Hotel. 

1 minute ago, mazola said:

Yeah, I've suggested this to our lot. Had to walk through it a couple of times last festival to get to my shift on the vehicle gate, and was pretty empty still late Wednesday night. Nice toilets there as well by the JPT.

My group aren't convinced, reckon it is too far away. It is about as far away from the SE corner as you can get

Agree about the SE corner bit, but it’s close to food outlets, good toilets, decent crowd, nice views, well drained  and milky milky tractor every morning. 

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

That's no small thing, though. If you don't beat the queue, it's likely you'll end up in something like this...

ABB51670-C3C3-47EF-AAAC-19D000E31D06.jpeg.9a05f91cdda73227462109c4d4babea8.jpeg.10f3d0704f559005f3c0db48ece8f3d8.jpeg

...which I happily lose a few hours sleep to avoid.

But it's more than just being able to camp where you want (which minimises long treks at inconvenient times of the day, for all five days).

To me, getting up in the middle of the night provides some Glastonbury magic unique to that moment. The closest feeling like it is Christmas Eve as a child. It's still dark outside. Everything is quiet and calm. There's no clue whatsoever of the world you're about to have access to.

For me, it starts with a 3:15am taxi to the drop off centre. The unusualness of a taxi arriving at that time adds to the anticipation. There's hardly any traffic on the roads, and I'm essentially being driven to the middle of nowhere, except... ah, the first sign name-checking the festival. The first sight of a high-vis. A few extra cars appear. Then we've reach our destination and the taxi drives off leaving me in the care of the festival. The night air gives way to a tired but tangible buzz. Bleary eyed strangers who just know what's coming exchange excited smiles as we sit in the shuttle, silently willing it to set off. The atmosphere grows as we strain for our first glimpse of the site, and then... there she is. The lights to the paths still illuminated as the first shards of daylight emerge, like the unwrapping of a present you've waited - in this case - three years to enjoy.

As the coach pulls in to PGA, nobody can disembark quickly enough, and as we make our way towards the fence, at about 4:30am, this is the queue we're greeted with:

1372749669_queuepga.thumb.jpg.7c37dfddc45af71072800046be8cd574.jpg

Arriving just a few minutes before the NE and See coaches are scheduled to start arriving, this is about as good as it gets. Some in the queue are dozing, others can't for the excitement. Stewards are observed with wide eyes as those of us waiting start chatting about where we've come from, what we're most looking forward to, and speculating on the movements of high vis jackets and people with walkie talkies.

Along with others, I feed back real time info and shots of what's happening to the eFests threads about the different queues. eFesters from different gates start posting and there's a fantastic sense of community all across the perimeter of the site. Just a few feet away from being inside!

Daylight breaks as the relentless parade of coaches deliver the masses, and the queue extends beyond the horizon. Things get louder now, with the arrival of overnight coach riders, some of whom spent the trip drinking. Everyone is in a great mood.

PGA is the first gate to open, in 2019 a good half hour before the others. Michael Eavis comes out to welcome us to his home, to huge cheers. Things move pretty quickly towards the front of the queue, as we soak in the excitement coming from the entire team, and the novelty - at that stage - of checking tickets and attaching wristbands.

Aside from the on-site crew, the overnighters enjoy the luxury of a near empty site, and the sense that we're the first to tread these hallowed grounds this year. Every public camping field is available, with hardly a soul on any one. In 2019, this was my view of Pennards on Wednesday morning:

pennards.thumb.jpg.380640a62ee2ae2aa7a05a53100f36db.jpg

Within a couple of hours, the field was starting to look full.

Do I start the festival tired? Yes. But once I'm set up, valuables in the lock up, sitting on the hill with a couple of cheeky cans, the last great privilege of the overnight experience is upon me - being able to see a site of green fields transform into a bustling city of people about to have five of the best days of their year - for some, memories they'll treasure for the rest of their lives. Watching that take form is a true pleasure. Waking from a little nap on the hill and remembering where I am is everything.

Early hours queueing isn't for everyone, but it's a real pleasure for me at least, and provides a magical start to the festival.

Great post, you're really tempting me to move my 7am Weds National Express coach from Bristol to an earlier one (arrives 8.15am, bought a flexi-ticket though so it can be changed).

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

That's no small thing, though. If you don't beat the queue, it's likely you'll end up in something like this...

ABB51670-C3C3-47EF-AAAC-19D000E31D06.jpeg.9a05f91cdda73227462109c4d4babea8.jpeg.10f3d0704f559005f3c0db48ece8f3d8.jpeg

But it's more than just being able to camp where you want (which minimises long treks at inconvenient times of the day, for all five days).

To me, getting up in the middle of the night provides some Glastonbury magic unique to that moment. The closest feeling like it is Christmas Eve as a child. It's still dark outside. Everything is quiet and calm. There's no clue whatsoever of the world you're about to have access to.

For me, it starts with a 3:15am taxi to the drop off centre. The unusualness of a taxi arriving at that time adds to the anticipation. There's hardly any traffic on the roads, and I'm essentially being driven to the middle of nowhere, except... ah, the first sign name-checking the festival. The first sight of a high-vis. A few extra cars appear. Then we've reach our destination and the taxi drives off leaving me in the care of the festival. The night air gives way to a tired but tangible buzz. Bleary eyed strangers who just know what's coming exchange excited smiles as we sit in the shuttle, silently willing it to set off. The atmosphere grows as we strain for our first glimpse of the site, and then... there she is. The lights to the paths still illuminated as the first shards of daylight emerge, like the unwrapping of a present you've waited - in this case - three years to enjoy.

As the coach pulls in to PGA, nobody can disembark quickly enough, and as we make our way towards the fence, at about 4:30am, this is the queue we're greeted with:

Arriving just a few minutes before the NE and See coaches are scheduled to start arriving, this is about as good as it gets. Some in the queue are dozing, others can't for the excitement. Stewards are observed with wide eyes as those of us waiting start chatting about where we've come from, what we're most looking forward to, and speculating on the movements of high vis jackets and people with walkie talkies.

Along with others, I feed back real time info and shots of what's happening to the eFests threads about the different queues. eFesters from different gates start posting and there's a fantastic sense of community all across the perimeter of the site. Just a few feet away from being inside!

Daylight breaks as the relentless parade of coaches deliver the masses, and the queue extends beyond the horizon. Things get louder now, with the arrival of overnight coach riders, some of whom spent the trip drinking. Everyone is in a great mood.

PGA is the first gate to open, in 2019 a good half hour before the others. Michael Eavis comes out to welcome us to his home, to huge cheers. Things move pretty quickly towards the front of the queue, as we soak in the excitement coming from the entire team, and the novelty - at that stage - of checking tickets and attaching wristbands.

Aside from the on-site crew, the overnighters enjoy the luxury of a near empty site, and the sense that we're the first to tread these hallowed grounds this year. Every public camping field is available, with hardly a soul on any one. In 2019, this was my view of Pennards on Wednesday morning:

Do I start the festival tired? Yes. But once I'm set up, valuables in the lock up, sitting on the hill with a couple of cheeky cans, the last great privilege of the overnight experience is upon me - being able to see a site of green fields transform into a bustling city of people about to have five of the best days of their year - for some, memories they'll treasure for the rest of their lives. Watching that take form is a true pleasure. Waking from a little nap on the hill and remembering where I am is everything.

Early hours queueing isn't for everyone, but it's a real pleasure for me at least, and provides a magical start to the festival.

Loved this! Still not sleeping in a queue mind. 

47 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I should add that in addition to human and cow excriment and urine, Oxylers also smells of industrial dye, biocides, pungent industrial "fragrance" and surfactants 24/7.

Its an awful place to walk past never mind camp in for 5 days. 

I’ve camped in oxlyers a few times and have never noticed that! 

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

This has just reminded me to re-ignite my campaign to have two separate entry queues, one for anyone with anything being wheeled/dragged and one for people carrying their stuff. This is what makes these queues go so slow, is the stopping and starting as people struggle to drag their stuff.

This looks like Gate A and I bet I'm in there somewhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bradders said:

We’re driving from London this year rather than overnight coach, is there any way you can ensure you end up in the West Car Park rather than East? Or will you just get funnelled one way or the other?

Depends where you are in London, but being East London we always went M25, M4 rather than M3, A303. Means you come down via Frome to Shepton, then a trick route in Shepton to get you on B3136 on route to the West Car Parks.

We tend to travel overnight by coach and set up early doors in oxlyers. Usually camp the opposite end of the field to silver hayes and although it’s busy I’ve never found it to be rowdy. 

If we got a Wednesday morning coach we wouldnt arrive till quite late afternoon as we travel from Newcastle. 
Travelling overnight doesn’t bother me because I wouldn’t be able to sleep much on the Tuesday anyway as far too excited and also nervous about sleeping in and missing my coach or forget ticket etc etc. 

First festival in 2009, arrived on the Thursday afternoon. Briefly tried Dairy (as was), but was right next to a walkway, then  someone said there was a field with loads of room just a bit yonder. Lovely little field, oodles of space, wasn't named on the map. Quiet but friendly more of a 30+ crowd, super chilled.

Even though we go fairly early Wednesday now, we go back to virtually the same spot every year, so much so mates we go with separately head to that spot when they arrive (after we have set up all the tents) and there we are😀.

Baileys always Baileys. ♥️

Edited by Levitz

3 hours ago, Bradders said:

We’re driving from London this year rather than overnight coach, is there any way you can ensure you end up in the West Car Park rather than East? Or will you just get funnelled one way or the other?

I take a back route from Shepton Mallet and come down a road called The Somerset Levels, turn right at the bottom of there onto Whitstone Hill Road and that takes you through Pilton to the West car parks.

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

Great post.

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to get on site before it opens on the Wednesday but not sure I would want to queue for hours to get in.  Probably due to the fact that I'd most definitely need the loo at some point and that seems to me would be a bit of hassle getting out the queue to do so!  So if I was going on a normal ticket I'd probably leave it later in the day and accept that my choice would be lessened but totally get where you are coming from.

2 hours ago, Divein said:

This looks like Gate A and I bet I'm in there somewhere.

Yeah - definitely looks link Gate A 2019.  Horror show.  We turned up just before 8am wanting to head to Gate D but were turned around by security who said Gate D was crazy busy and Gate A was good.  Guess coaches started arriving in force and the queue barely moved for about 3 hours.  As we got in Gate A and arrived to pitch in Dairy about 11.30 we met people that had turned up at Gate D at 10.30 and walked straight in!

Normally we have a decent spot behind the lock ups in Paines which has served us very well for many years and tends not to get busy even late into Weds - this year however it's just the two of us and the rest of our mates are in Worthy View, so we were thinking squeezing a single tent somewhere in Pennards.

Obviously I know it has a bit of a rep from my time at Glasto but it gets us nice and close to some of our favourite areas in greenfields, plus our mates in WV - my question is, is Pennards as bad as people make out?? We tend to be out exploring until about 4/5am anyway, sleeping after that until late morning, maybe it's the best spot for us?!

7 hours ago, kalifire said:

This just got me so hyped.

I'm definitely in the kid at christmas camp.. I typically head of from here in West Sussex (Crawley) about 4:30am.. usually a few hours of queueing but we always get a pitch in our usual location.

Normally camp at paines through gate d. Camped for a few years where arcadia is now. Still it's a nice stroll to the railway line and into the main action. Did a couple of years in the family field but we always felt it was the wrong side for our tastes. Just happy to have a ticket and would camp anywhere on site. 

On 2/28/2019 at 8:51 AM, ivan said:

10 times in Big Ground I reckon , quite often inches from where we were before according to my mate

Mainly for the view of the site as you can see virtually all of it and its always amazing to sit by the tent on the first night just as the sun goes down and see all the lights come on.

And when we finish the night at the Stone Circle we get to walk back through most of the site having a bimble on our way back home , which can take us hours due to unplanned stop offs to just watch something interesting !

Even in the bad mud years it never gets too bad where we are as there is not much foot traffic and the water just goes past us down to Pyramid Stage

yes this.  also it used to have flushable toilets until 2015 or so. 

2007 Big Ground

2008 Paines/Park

2009 Kidney Mead

2010 Paines/Park

2011 Paines/Park

2013 Kidney Mead

2014 Park/Dairy

2015 Kidney

2016 Kidney

2017 Hitchen

2019 Worthy View

2022 No fucking idea. Too late for Kidney (arriving midday-ish on the coach) and can't really be fucked to lug stuff too far from PGA. Maybe Hitchen/Michael's Mead.

Edited by Mardy

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

For me, it starts with a 3:15am taxi to the drop off centre. The unusualness of a taxi arriving at that time adds to the anticipation. There's hardly any traffic on the roads, and I'm essentially being driven to the middle of nowhere, except... ah, the first sign name-checking the festival. The first sight of a high-vis. A few extra cars appear. Then we've reached our destination and the taxi drives off leaving me in the care of the festival. The night air gives way to a tired but tangible buzz. Bleary eyed strangers who just know what's coming exchange excited smiles as we sit in the shuttle, silently willing it to set off. The atmosphere grows as we strain for our first glimpse of the site, and then... there she is. The lights to the paths still illuminated as the first shards of daylight emerge, like the unwrapping of a present you've waited - in this case - three years to enjoy.

I couldnt do it myself, but i am beginning to understand the bonuses now 😀 love your enthusiasm 

2009/10 - Park side of Pennards

2011 - Green Fields side of Pennards

2013/14/15 - Silver Hayes side of Oxlyers

2016/17/19 Railway side of Oxlyers

Right next to the path in all of those. The Green Fields side of Pennards was my favourite in some ways, but you can’t beat Oxlyers for convenience. We’ve got groups coming separately who all know the spot now so it’s not really worth moving. It’s nice and familiar too.

Michaels Mead every year, pitch up at the top of the hill near the ITV West setup. Always been a good place for us as the ground doesn't get bad with the bad weather, and it not full of them rowdy young folk!! Great view over the site as well. Last year we parked West and it was a much better route to where we camp, although Gate A was a nightmare at 10:30am.