Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

On 3/3/2022 at 3:07 PM, AlexOvd said:

Rescuing this thread as I have a question and I prefer not to open a new one.

We have the bus departing from London Wednesday 12PM (noon), how long take take to arrive to the site? And as we will arrive most likely way later than most of the people on Wednesday, what would be the easier/best spot to camp without losing too much time considering the time we will arrive?

Thanks!

Hmph. I left from victoria last time on a national express at with a 9am departure. 

We certainly didn't leave at 9am. You jon the queue at the coach station and get on whatever coach they give you. Think I walked through the gate pretty much bang on 3pm.

Actual coach package ticket was from the O2 in 2017 at a 10am departure. From memory (and it's pretty hazy) I think the arrival time was similar, possibly because it was straight out onto the A2 and M25 rather than going through London.

In answer the the op, I dunno! 
We were WV in 2017 and crew in 2019, so if we get resale tickets for 2022 we will have to choose a GA camping spot for the first time. I fancy Kidney Mead personally. 
Ideally we would bag a camper van pass but that will be easier said than done. 

3 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

In answer the the op, I dunno! 
We were WV in 2017 and crew in 2019, so if we get resale tickets for 2022 we will have to choose a GA camping spot for the first time. I fancy Kidney Mead personally. 
Ideally we would bag a camper van pass but that will be easier said than done. 

Keep the faith on those campervan passes … they aren’t quite so hard to get as is made out … first lot will be available after main resale on the Sunday … and often the appear in small batches up to the event 

Edited by crazyfool1

We arrived on Wednesday morning in 2019 and pitched up in Oxylers (see pic) - loved how central it was but I guess we were lucky that there wasn't a drop of rain all weekend. 

We're getting the coach and arriving on Thursday morning this year with a 6 man tent - although I guess we could get three 2 man tents in theory. Are we better to cut our losses and head straight to Pylon Ground/River Mead/Bushy Ground or go elsewhere closer to the action that usually has some spaces left? We do like the naughty corner so we'd prefer not to be in one of the opposite end campsites but we probably won't have much choice...?

Any advice would be appreciated - cheers! 😄

IMG_0799.jpg

Only been lucky enough to go to Glasto once in 2019 and camped in Oxylers. To be honest we were actually aiming for Pennards because we’d heard of its party atmosphere but we gave up on the walk from the gate A after clocking a decent spot in Oxylers. Loved the location and proximity to everything and still found it lively.

This year we’re unsure whether we’ll go back to Oxylers or try and make it Pennards. We finished every night in the SE corner until stupid hours last time and will probably do the same this year so it would make sense, and as a group we’re up for being in a loud and lively environment. People who have camped in both - which do you prefer?

Will be arriving around 8.15am on Wednesday morning (getting 7am coach from Bristol but got a flexi ticket which can be changed if needs be).

I think all being well we’re going to aim for Oxylers, but will have to play it by ear on the day. We have quite a big tent and studying the webcam footage from various years it seems that we’d probably be ok with it before 11, but after that it’s probably not worth bothering. Not camping over night in the car parks but will get there before gates open, so it really depends on whether luck is on our side getting through the gate reasonably before then. It’s probably unlikely so If not will just head to one of the camp sites further west.

Most of the time I’ve camped in oxylers but it has a bad rep for tent thieves. Happened in both 2015 and 2017.

Luckily nothing crazy taken but some of my friends had their entire cash stash gone from their bumbag while they were sleeping.

47 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Most of the time I’ve camped in oxylers but it has a bad rep for tent thieves. Happened in both 2015 and 2017.

Luckily nothing crazy taken but some of my friends had their entire cash stash gone from their bumbag while they were sleeping.

I had similar in Kidney Mead in 2015 but the thieves woke me up before they got their hands on anything. They were on the receiving end of some choice words. They’d gone through a few of our neighbours’ tents as well.

I have used the lockups ever since.

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sleep with your wallet, phone and drugs inside your sleeping bag.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I was the same in oxylers 2019 all the cash and coins taken out my wallet then thrown back in to the tent while me and my mate were sleeping. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

There really shouldn't be anything of value in your tent. That's what lock ups are there for.

People shouldn't be expected to trek over at 5am after the SE corner to the lockups though - and obviously they need to but few will.

We're planning on Oxylers if we can so definitely a good thing to know

Back to the OP question, if we can get it it's all about Big Ground, up near the tree and just off Muddy Lane.  Not on the way to anywhere else so it's decent for getting some kip. You can see and hear the Pyramid from camp if you just fancy chilling or listening to something while you're making pit stops. Amazing view to wake up to when you stick your head out of the tent first thing, and it's such a good spot to sit for coffee and smoke in the morning or beer and a smoke before bed. Love it.

12 hours ago, jamesh992 said:

We arrived on Wednesday morning in 2019 and pitched up in Oxylers (see pic) - loved how central it was but I guess we were lucky that there wasn't a drop of rain all weekend. 

We're getting the coach and arriving on Thursday morning this year with a 6 man tent - although I guess we could get three 2 man tents in theory. Are we better to cut our losses and head straight to Pylon Ground/River Mead/Bushy Ground or go elsewhere closer to the action that usually has some spaces left? We do like the naughty corner so we'd prefer not to be in one of the opposite end campsites but we probably won't have much choice...?

Any advice would be appreciated - cheers! 😄

IMG_0799.jpg

If you aren't arriving until the Thursday I'd definitely recommend going for 3, 2 man tents over 1, 6 man tent.

Space is becoming more difficult to find as more people choose to arrive on the Wednesday as early as possible. I camped up at Baileys in 2019, arrived Wednesday around 12pm and there was lots of space. People where able to find pitches right up to the end of Thursday night in and around those fields. Come Friday it seemed a nightmare! 

Location for me was good, never felt too far from anything and hitting Arcadia on the way back up always helped break the journey 

• Thanks 1