Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

On 2/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, The Nal said:

Hitchin Hill/Michaels Mead.

Nearish to Gate A, few mins walk to the Pyramid, great view, clean toilets, quiet at night, milk truck in the morning and on a hill so no floods/mud. 

Thinking of camping here.

Is all the ground on an incline though? Wondering if that makes for a good night's sleep...!

On 2/28/2019 at 10:56 PM, Gnomicide said:

Bottom Webbs Ash is my favourite, I've tried a few others; Michael's Mead was too much of a slope resulting in waking up in a crumpled heap at the bottom of my bed every day but nice view; Paines was nice but the neighbours were a nightmare; 1st year was, I think, Bushy but not sure. I was near a bush. 

Anyway, back to Bottom Webbs Ash, at the junction between Pyramid, road to The Other and JP, good couple of stalls for breakfast, Lulu's Cafe, the good toilets by the woods and easy to nip back to if needed.

How noisy is the Beat Hotel through the night? This area is on our shortlist!

3 minutes ago, blazingstars said:

We moved slightly away up the hill near to entrance to John peel tent ... and it seemed better ... but yes as previously stated it’s a noisy one but maybe last year I went to sleep after 3am though 

7 minutes ago, blazingstars said:

Is all the ground on an incline though? Wondering if that makes for a good night's sleep...!

Most of Hitchin Hill is on a slope but about halfway up on the right hand side is flat. There is also a hedge that gives glorious shade until about 11am if you get close to it. I normally keep quiet about enuresis I’m in staff camping this year

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, blazingstars said:

It's ok and has moved further away now. I normally sleep through noisy stuff early doors then get woken by someone talking quietly 4 tents away.

I’ve always camped in Pennards and Arcadia hasn’t bothered me much, mainly because I’m dead to the world by the time I arrive back at my tent. I’m more concerned about the pier this year, how far it encroaches on Pennards Hill, how late/early it’s open etc. 

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Thinking of Pylon this year because I just cannot be arsed walking far with my gear from the coach. Do enough walking at Glastonbury I’d sooner do it off my head without carrying owt.

My only worries are mud and smell. 

Camped in Pylon in 2016. Even that year there was no real problem with mud. Not my usual spot (Bushy) and as I won't be there this year (quietly sobs) it'll be a little less smelly and snory.

• Upvote 1

I might require some assistance ya'll. 

I usually camp at Park Home as generally I love being near the Park Area and Arcadia. 

This is the first year wor lass is coming with me. The vibe at this year's festival for me is going to be significantly less nocturnal than usual (might have one or two late late nights but gone are the days of 7am finishes every day). 

Where would be good to camp that isn't too far from those areas, but quiet enough for my partner to get some proper rest? 

Has anybody got any experience of camping around Park Home but having relatively early bed times (ie before Arcadia shuts down)? 

Or will Park Home be sound with some decent earplugs? 

Thank you in advance for your wisdom. 

6 minutes ago, gratefulbread said:

I might require some assistance ya'll. 

I usually camp at Park Home as generally I love being near the Park Area and Arcadia. 

This is the first year wor lass is coming with me. The vibe at this year's festival for me is going to be significantly less nocturnal than usual (might have one or two late late nights but gone are the days of 7am finishes every day). 

Where would be good to camp that isn't too far from those areas, but quiet enough for my partner to get some proper rest? 

Has anybody got any experience of camping around Park Home but having relatively early bed times (ie before Arcadia shuts down)? 

Or will Park Home be sound with some decent earplugs? 

Thank you in advance for your wisdom. 

I camped in Park Home for years and it is very very noisy round there for most of the night. Even with earplugs. I had to move to Bushy and now I actually get some sleep, it's glorious!

You could try Dairy? Bit further from Park but still in that general neck of the woods (I think).

Dairy Ground. It's near gate d which means it's not as far to carry your stuff and it's closer to some offsite showers I use. It's also quiet and there's loads of space. The only issue is that it's a bit of a trek to most of the stages, but that stops you going back to your tent and wasting time there. You just need to be prepared for the day!

1 minute ago, barkley87 said:

Dairy Ground. It's near gate d which means it's not as far to carry your stuff and it's closer to some offsite showers I use. It's also quiet and there's loads of space. The only issue is that it's a bit of a trek to most of the stages, but that stops you going back to your tent and wasting time there. You just need to be prepared for the day!

Presuming you're driving of course. If getting the coach or train then it's a bit of a trek from gate A.

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just to add that even with really good earplugs I would hear Arcadia. It's not just the music but the fire woosh sounds. Depends how deep you sleep but if it's not very and you want to be in bed before 5am ever then would not recommend.

Yeah same, there is no way I’d sleep properly. Earplugs just dampen the sound but deffo don’t cut it out for me. I used to camp at Park Home as well but there’s no way I’d do that now. Looking more like the back of Paines or South Park. There is nothing more important for maximising your enjoyment of the festival than a good nights sleep.

1 minute ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Yeah same, there is no way I’d sleep properly. Earplugs just dampen the sound but deffo don’t cut it out for me. I used to camp at Park Home as well but there’s no way I’d do that now. Looking more like the back of Paines or South Park. There is nothing more important for maximising your enjoyment of the festival than a good nights sleep.

Yep it took me years to learn that lesson! Trouble is that I can't really sleep properly once it's daylight (too much noise around the camp/too warm in the tent) so after a few years of staying up til 5  and then being properly awake from around 8 or 9 something had to give! My days of certain substances are over too 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Presuming you're driving of course. If getting the coach or train then it's a bit of a trek from gate A.

Yep definitely. I still used to camp there in the days I got the coach... The walk was horrendous. Much better if you're driving. 

17 hours ago, blazingstars said:

We've camped here for 10 years and I love it for its relative quietness and great views over the site (especially at night). It is on a bit of an incline, and some bits are steeper than others. As it doesn't fill up too quickly you can take time finding the right bit to pitch on - just make sure your head's at the top of the slope when you pitch!