Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

• 2 weeks later...

This is giving me food for thought. I've mixed it up a bit the last couple of years, but prior to that Hitchen Hill was always a good shout, particularly as a coach traveller who likes to sleep.  Taking a newbie and probably travelling by car so really not sure where we're likely to end up yet.

Big Ground, just through the hedge line on Muddy Lane near the big tree. Easy to find, quiet(ish), can watch Pyramid if chilling at the tent for a bit, and you get an amazing view both when you step out of your tent in the morning and when having a quiet smoke before going to bed.

Rivermead for us every year since 2013. Literally exactly the same spot every year - gets a bit of tree shade in the morning during sunny years. 

The main reasons are that it’s not too far from the action (it’s a 5 min walk from Silver Hayes with a bank of composting toilets en route) and also everyone in our group knows exactly where we are heading which is handy when we all turn up at different times on the Wednesday.

Also tried Paines a couple times and what an aptly named area.

It's a serious trek from Gate A, all uphill dont bother. When you get there it's just a big mudpit with no food anywhere to be found but you feel like you've gone so far you just have to pitch because everything is filling up behind you. I'll never make that mistake for the third time. I'm going to stop in a nice green patch this year long before I reach Paines. 

We have camped in Kidney Mead, Row Mead and Big Ground over the last 3 festivals as we like to be that side of the site. No real preference as experience is determined by who your neighbours are. And in those fields the demographic appeared to be pretty wide so it was pot luck.

Not understanding all the hate for Paines. Camped there for the first time last year and loved it - we were very close to Cineramageddon which was handy for finding your way home at the end of the night. And it felt close to a lot of the areas we hang out in. Made friends with the groups of guys next to us and had some good campsite group chats.

Would camp there again this year but have hired a camper and gonna be in West CV for the first time.

Edited by Skoo

Paines the last few times and will be again this year. Love hearing arcadia fire up and test the burners from my tent on the Wednesday and Thursday (although that might be different depending what arcadia bring on site this year). Not too far walk from gate D easy to get to the park and SE corner. Had really decent neighbours which is a massive plus.  Not a 24 hour party but lively enough to have a decent time back at camp so ticks most boxes for me.

Previously pitched up at big ground which gets an amazing view of the pyramid and used to have the flushing bogs near by which helped. Also had the best coffee on site called the wide awake Cafe (I think).

Nowadays the hill back to the tent at big ground is too much and my priorities over the years have changed from main stages to late night areas so have moved our camping spot accordingly.

One year a large group of my mates arrived early Wednesday and for some reason that still confuses me now decided to camped right up by the fence at the top of lime kiln. All camped on a slope with a horrendous walk home every night. None of that group have been back since. I think where you camp can have a massive effect on your Glasto experience.

On 2/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, MrHew said:

It'll be my first time taking little Hew this year. Which of the family camping fields do people recommend? 

Cockmill. Spitting distance of the kids field and easy to get to many other things

Last year me and a few friends camped at the top of Webb's Ash I believe, just underneath the bottom right corner of The Wood on last year's map, and it was fucking fantastic. Definitely going to end up there again this year! Great views, everyone around us was fun, good proximity to the Pyramid (if that's your thing) as well as some great food stalls/toilets. 

Edited by jackmerton
  • Like 1

Over the years done Big Ground, Kidney Mead and then, with kids, Cockmill. Done Cockmill as oldies more recently but after the mega early start in 2017 to stand in a queue for 4 hours we’ve shelled out for WV. 

Utter madness financially but means a good nights kip Tuesday night, breakfast in the pub Wednesday morning and a bimble onto site late morning without doing my Sherpa impression. Also means we might see past 9pm Wednesday!

9 minutes ago, blazingstars said:

Thanks for all your input pals.

Got any on which sites tend to fill up fastest? I'd rather not aim for one then get there and find it full and end up doing even more lugging!

Anything within ear shot and sight of the Pyramid will go quickly, as will Pennard on the opposite side. Wednesday morning arrival will be essential for any of those.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a quiet camping area? We will be arriving by coach on midday Thursday and guess that everything will be taken by then. I don't mind walking as I am planning only going back to the tent for sleeping but I would to to recover each night as much as possible. Ideas? 

2 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Can anyone recommend a quiet camping area? We will be arriving by coach on midday Thursday and guess that everything will be taken by then. I don't mind walking as I am planning only going back to the tent for sleeping but I would to to recover each night as much as possible. Ideas? 

Darble. Right next to coach station, won't fill up, and is quiet. Slight downside, a long way from SE corner if you plan late  night shenanigans. I'll be in Darble, biggest plus for me is no distance at all to cart your stuff to the bus on Monday morning.

• Like 1

Started off in Cockmill with young children then moved to Williams/dragon by the naughty corner (crew only now-shame best pace I’ve camped). Moved to Hitchin Hill for a few years and had one year in Darble. Crew camping this year but if I wasn’t it would be Hitchin. Near to JP, a bit of a buzz but not rowdy. Only downside is the walk back at dawn from the SE corner 

2 hours ago, Watergirl said:

An hour.   More if it is busy, i.e. if something has just finished on the Pyramid.

It takes me a lot longer than that because even if i need to get to the far side to see something I’ll stop to look at at least a dozen things.  

• Upvote 1

Camped on the edge of Kidney Mead where the Leftfield used to be in 2008 but it was a bit of a nightmare so have camped in Oxlyers from 2009 until now. We stick to, roughly, the same spot every year (north east of Oxlyers near to the food) and it always works a treat for us. Never usually find that its as packed as Pennards appears to be and I find the atmosphere a lot livelier too. However, you do get the occasional dickhead in Oxlyers but they are few and far between.