Where do you camp and why?

blazingstars

As I work the festival these days we camp in Tom's Field/crew area next to Worthy Farm and the office. Good location really at the top of the hill leading down to Big Ground and the Pyramid (best thing is to see Big Ground empty on the Tuesday and then rammed by 11am on the Wednesday)

Before we worked it we stayed at Bushy Ground as it's close to the Gate and it's usually quiet enough, decent enough distance to Pyramid or the Other, the only con is that you need to walk through the dance village to get back unless you come in from the bottom near Dairy and the park. 

• Like 1

First time in 2017 and we went Oxylers because that's where my sister and her mates were.

Really loved the centralness of it all. Will probably go again, though most threads I've read people seem to adore Pennard. Also heard Oxylers can get quite bad if it's rainy so weather may affect that decision. Has anybody been Oxylers in the rain, is it that bad?

My favourite is Kidney Mead. Close to morning coffee at WG, easy to nip back to pick up a hoody for the evening. Pretty quiet for through traffic. Only problem is you need to be in early doors on the Wednesday to get yourself sorted there.

Just now, Bradders said:

Yeah it’s pretty bad. With it being right next to the Other Stage the whole area is busy, so it gets churned up which just makes everyone slower and so even busier.

It was horrific in 2016. That whole area gets proper churned up so people start spreading out and walking between tents to avoid the glud (glastonbury glue mud) Never camped there myself though so can't comment on further in. Just the outskirts looked bad enough 

Park Home every time (maybe Dairy once due to arriving late). 

Simply because of the easy access to the areas I most care about (The Park, WH, Glade and SE Corner). 

PS. not recommended for anyone aiming to go to bed at a reasonable time due to the noise from Arcadia. 

Edited by TomViolence

Always in the Big Ground and I love it there. it's a pain to get back to at night, but it's on higher ground which helps with the mud and rain. Also very convenient to ATMs, property lock up and welfare should you need it. 

For many years it also had flushable loos, but those were replaced in 2017 with compost ones. 

I love these threads :)

From my first in 2008 through to 2013 I camped in Park Home Ground. We got a shuttle bus from Bath & West after staying local so could always be in the queue by 7ish. Was a fair old hike from Ped Gate A with all the stuff though. The first year we went I just blindly followed my mates who said it was the best area to camp and when I realised we would be walking for like 30-40 minutes heavy laden I thought they were taking the piss! I used to love it there though: fairly central and The Park is a lovely area in the mornings to recover and chill. Needed more recovery time back then too! Downsides for me was that it was cramped, you had to get there early to get a good spot and once I started getting a coach from London I just couldn't make it on time. Also they reduced the campsite area there I think and when Arcadia moved nearby it just got too noisy for me, even with earplugs. 

In 2014 we went Darble because my mate had a bad back and it is the first one you come to from gate A. It was nice and quiet but a loooong walk in the mud that year to get home.

2015 and 2017 I've gone Bushy and that's where I'll head in 2019. I need my sleep now and it is much quieter, more spacious, nice loos. Yes it's a longish walk but like others have said nice for clearing the head morning and night.

I do miss being closer to WH, The Park and The Glade but you can't have everything! It has probably made me explore more around Silver Hayes and JP than I ever would before.

Pennards and Oxylers are the ones if you want busy and central. Both look like my worst nightmare!

1st time in 2017 and we camped in the middle of Big Ground which seemed fine; clean long drops and great views. We had planned on Kidney Mead but by the time we’d got in it felt like I needed to chuck the two tents down as soon as possible. 

We arrived at Gate B at about just after midnight Tues/Weds so thought we’d be ok for getting a spot. Queue seemed so ridiculously slow compared to other feed back everyone around us was getting from other people who were already in. Can’t remember exactly when we got to the gate but my photos of the set up tents show as midday; only took an hour to set up. 

Is this a usual issue with Gate B or were we just unlucky as I heard of people arriving at a sensible time in the morning and being set up much sooner than us?

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Hitchin Hill/Michaels Mead.

Nearish to Gate A, few mins walk to the Pyramid, great view, clean toilets, quiet at night, milk truck in the morning and on a hill so no floods/mud. 

Doing WV this year instead of lime kiln/hitchin hill so I will miss “milkymilky” being shouted outside our tent at some ungodly hour! 

6 hours ago, grayfitz said:

Last couple years I've camped in Lime Kiln Ground. 

It's pretty close to Gate A (for Coach arrivals), is never too full so you've got a bit of space to yourself, has an amazing view when you wake up (and get back to the tent in the small hours - we usually all sit out and look out over the site while having one last drink)

It is a long way from South East Corner, but honestly the walk back is one of my favourite parts of the whole thing - you see all kinds of sights and stumble upon a lot of good stuff as you walk the entire width of the festival.

My favourite as well, love the tor view in the morning, I’m beginning to think we’ve made a mistake booking WV. Always had a great time in lime kiln, breakfast tent, tree lined long drops, gentle slopes, 

wehave a decision to make !

3 hours ago, TomViolence said:

Park Home every time (maybe Dairy once due to arriving late). 

Simply because of the easy access to the areas I most care about (The Park, WH, Glade and SE Corner). 

PS. not recommended for anyone aiming to go to bed at a reasonable time due to the noise from Arcadia. 

I camped on the other side of The Park's hedge in 2017 because of the shade. On the Sunday night I was very ill (but didn't know it, thought I was just being a miserable twat [at Glasto, I know!?]) and was fevering and sleeping through Arcadia. Fuck that for a laugh.

This year I don't plan on being ill or being near my tent while Arcadia is on. :D

---

But yeah, we camped on that thin slither of grass on the other side of The Park/silent disco and opposite Arcadia. Gave us shade and was off the main track just enough to not get churned up if it were to rain

A good spot as you have breakfast around the corner, don't get the smell of the shitters and have a reasonable walk to the main stages and SE Corner. Oh, it's also on the main route to gate D. But tbh anything is easier than when we were cruelly forced into East car parks in 2016, though we were staying in the Tipi Village. That hill was a cruel mistress.

Edited by MJP

1st year in 2010 we camped in Oxylers which was fine with me but overcrowded, as tents were pretty much on top of each other but it was fine as only me and the fella.

All years since been in a bigger group camped at the top of Paines near the treeline opening for Baileys... 

I haven't got tickets for this year yet but probably head to Paines or even look at Baileys as like being at the Park at end of the night :)