National Express seem to have shot up in price

angelin

I complained about my National Express coach last time. Told them when I book with them I expect a National Express coach and not some fucking prehistoric school trip coach. They gave me four free trips anywhere in the UK, valid for 12 months.

That said, they were very helpful in switching my outbound London return to a Liverpool coach on the Monday morning, free of charge.

If you already have a car, it's far cheaper to drive, especially if there's a few of you in the same car. If Glastonbury are really serious about the Green Traveller thing then they should whack up car park tickets to much more than the current and use the money to subsidise bus travel.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If you already have a car, it's far cheaper to drive, especially if there's a few of you in the same car. If Glastonbury are really serious about the Green Traveller thing then they should whack up car park tickets to much more than the current and use the money to subsidise bus travel.

It's already £50. Put it up much more and it's cheaper to park illegally and get fined.

8 hours ago, srb said:

THose public transport prices are insane. A bus is a bus. Prices shouldn't go up and down

It is due to the inelasticity of the demand like any product. There is an argument that the festival should step in though when it gets to a point that people are driving instead but NE pretty much have a monopoly of scale (I.e. the festival couldn't find anyone else to do it) and can charge what they want.

I’ve paid £100 return from Manchester this year which seemed a massive increase but assumed that had something to do with my having not been for 8 years! 

Delighted to get one travelling overnight though, I don’t remember being able to do that 2011 and earlier... first time I’ll be scheduled to arrive before the gates open

We hired a car for a trip before because the train was like £80 each, hire car was £8 a day! Even if you include fuel, extra insurance and parking it can work out cheaper if you shop around.

Obviously depends on your proximity to a hire base, but that would be the same as getting to a coach station or whatever, don’t write it off.  Not as environmentally friendly of course but you could lift share?

Im wondering whether to just buy one way for now as thats the most important part and then the return next time i get paid. We are at WV this year I wish i knew if there was definitely transport from the coach station. Im due an op and feeling quite nervous (but not nervous enough to cancel)

• 2 weeks later...

I seemed to have done really well. Myself and my lad managed to book for a little over 50 quid each with insurance return from Manchester. Mind you we leave Manc at 2am on Wednesday and leave the site 2am on the Monday morning. I dont really care either way as I will probably be w*nkered and I just hope fellow travellers can cope with 8 hours of "Are we there yet?" followed by the pssst of a can opening. ?

• 2 weeks later...

How zealous are NE about sticking to the return times booked? See just load up the coaches to London as and when you arrive on the Monday morning. They don't even check tickets. Is it a free-for-all with National Express too?

I need to book and I've only a rough idea as to when I'll be ready to leave.

2 minutes ago, Fishman said:

How zealous are NE about sticking to the return times booked? See just load up the coaches to London as and when you arrive on the Monday morning. They don't even check tickets. Is it a free-for-all with National Express too?

They check your tickets and put you into the corresponding queue. We were a couple of hours early one year but had to wait. I’m sure there’s stories of people getting on a different coach (highly doubt they’d abandon someone who’d missed theirs) but I wouldn’t be confident you can just stroll on to whichever one you want.

6 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Have traveled on both coaches and NE is a completely different ball park to See. In my experience, See don't give a shit what coach you're on, at what time, or where you're going, it's whoever is there at the time and waiting, gets on. NE check your time and are pretty strict about it.

10 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I wouldn’t be confident you can just stroll on to whichever one you want.

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

NE check your time and are pretty strict about it.

Mmmm ..... thought so.

Thanks anyway.