Camper van first timer

damo101

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

it may be a bit of a faff but you should be OK to do it...

You will have to tell them at the first ticket checkpoint or you may get split up then and also as you arrive at the fields.. Given there are so many vans you may want to ask to go on the end of 2 rows (up against a hedge hopefully) rather than 6 of you in a line.

remember that they have to keep fire lanes free ..put whoever has the best persuasion and charm in the front van...

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

yes. It's the only way to ensure you can park up together.

Thanks both! that's really helpful.

Parked in nearly all of East over the years - and apart from the walk, it's not much of an issue which one you're in. Don't let it upset you if you're not where you want to be.

Say you've got an awning as you park - even if you haven't - this will give you a little extra room to put out chairs, and actual awning or a tent.

Use the portaloos - they are clean because everyone else is going in their van and carrying their own shit around!

But, we've converted to camping - always campervan'ed but now enjoy being on-site much much more.

4 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Another CV first timer, got tickets for East Quiet, arriving from the Midlands down the M5.

As I would have to get to the opposite side of the site, should I think about taking a route other than the direct/sat nav one or will the Tues morning traffic not be an issue?

tuesday morning traffic isn't an issue, apart from perhaps hitting the CV queue at the busiest times. That queue can be a mile or more on the main road before the turnoff into the lanes to get to the site.

5 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Another CV first timer, got tickets for East Quiet, arriving from the Midlands down the M5.

As I would have to get to the opposite side of the site, should I think about taking a route other than the direct/sat nav one or will the Tues morning traffic not be an issue?

If it’s a quieter part of the day you are travelling down, through Bristol and the A37 takes you straight there, having said that we have more recently used this route Monday evening and parked up overnight within a couple of miles of the gates (There are places you can stay safely and securely).

If you can, make sure you have more than one set of keys for your camper and  leave with a friend/partner or maybe leave a set in the lockup. Nothing like losing your keys somewhere in the vastness of Glastonbury to bring the party mood down. 

If you end up parked on a slope work out what that means for your sleeping position. I've often parked the other way round from the vans on either side of me as I prefer sleeping with my head, rather than my feet, highest (and in my van I can't just sleep the other end of the bed). Or get a set of those plastic ramps used to level the van though they do take up space and can be a pain to use.

Take a torch or get some sort of cheap solar PiR light, as depending on the weather/phases of the moon, it can be -really- dark in the camper fields, and trying to unlock your caravan at 3AM when overly refreshed but you can't actually see anything, is a challenge :)

You can avoid this by just staying up until it starts getting light again of course.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:01 PM, Johnnyseven said:

If your CV ticket says 'Family' on it don't be surprised if they turn you away at the gate. It should say 'Quiet' these days.

Yeah, ok...my bad. It was "Family" in 2017. They changed it to "Quiet" this year. Same principles apply...some CV tickets will get you into the nearer fields, the rest won't.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:59 AM, The Nal said:

Oh yeah? Last time I campervanned was 2015 I think. They were bringing me in through E25/E19 way and started directing me to E17 direction, over the road but I just kept driving and got a great spot at the end of E19 just at the corner of the path. 

Time to borrow someones baby to get in so. 

Yes squire...'15 was blaggable. '16 was a complete clusterfuck due to the weather (I didn't even have my tickets checked - you just pitched where you were put!) '17 was all change as some CV tix were designated as  Family - it all depended on what you got when they went on sale. Looks like that's the way it's going to be from now on (but "Quiet" instead of "Family").

• Like 1

We have a couple of mates going down in a camper this year, they have a ticket for one of the on-site fields (eg, not at Bath and West Showground). My wife and I are hoping to camp next to their van in the camper van fields (having read the information on the website this seems to be allowed). However, our tent is pretty large (4 man thing that you are able to stand up in). Based on experience is this likely to be allowed or should we just plan to camp onsite as normal? 

33 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

We have a couple of mates going down in a camper this year, they have a ticket for one of the on-site fields (eg, not at Bath and West Showground). My wife and I are hoping to camp next to their van in the camper van fields (having read the information on the website this seems to be allowed). However, our tent is pretty large (4 man thing that you are able to stand up in). Based on experience is this likely to be allowed or should we just plan to camp onsite as normal? 

When they park up, they need to declare an "awning" and say it's effing huge - that way the next van will be placed away from you allowing enough room for tents. We used to have 3 or 4 tents (I prefer sleeping in a tent rather than being bounced around the campervan by my large mate who was sleeping at the opposite end!!).

Edited by hfuhruhurr

2 hours ago, Richard Mowbray said:

We have East quiet CV tickets, what will availability of pitches be like at around 11pm on the Wednesday night? - we need to leave after the kids have finished school and live 6hrs away?

There will be pitches, though you may either find that you are put somewhere far away from the pedestrian gate or crammed in a small space somewhere when the stewards realise that they are running out of room and need to squeeze people in.

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Mr Benn said:

Hello, can anyone please tell me the amount of time roughly it takes to walk from East csmpervan fields (from E21)

Park

Shangri La

Pyramid stage?

Thanks x 

Use Acoustic and add  20 minutes to these times for a rough idea. Crowds and mud can make all the difference too. :)

Bo0ttLgCMAA4qf9.jpg

Edited by StoneCircle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/27/2019 at 9:39 AM, DarrenVonBoathook said:

If you can, make sure you have more than one set of keys for your camper and  leave with a friend/partner or maybe leave a set in the lockup. Nothing like losing your keys somewhere in the vastness of Glastonbury to bring the party mood down. 

I use one of these kind of things - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frostfire-Mooncode-Lock-box-Car/dp/B00383YFA2 and never take the keys anywhere.  Only issue has been working the combination lock in the dark at 4am when well refreshed.