Camper van first timer

damo101

Hey guys,

been to glastonbury years ago and had a tent (and sore arms from carry a mountain of supplies). This the first time we're going to a festival in a camper van and have no idea what to expect. 

Are the campervan camp sites much the same as the tent camp sites? Any tips on what to do/not do? We pretty much have all (or most of) the gear and no idea :)

Cheers!

Arrive Tuesday, have a bbq and meet your neighbors, apart from that enjoy carrying just your days booze, don’t plan to go back to the van during the day when your out for the day your out for the night. You will never camp again, but don’t tell everyone how great it is ?

also you get real sleep like more than 2 hours! 

• Upvote 1

For your Tuesday BBQ make sure you have something that keeps it off the ground slightly. Use the lock up's wisely so you don't have to go back to your van during the day. On the first day I usually bring things like spare socks, cold weather gear for night time and money for each day in envelopes and put it in the lock up and then you can go and get them when it starts to go cold so you don't have to go back to the van. 

• Upvote 1

Tuesday is a great day, particularly if you can get in early (From 9am often). If you’re in the East CV then go to the top of the ‘hill of death’ with a few drinks and join the crowd with a view over the festival site early evening.

Main plus is most of the CV fields are quiet, clean, and sufficient space for your needs, main downside is the longer walk to get anywhere 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, damo101 said:

Hey guys,

been to glastonbury years ago and had a tent (and sore arms from carry a mountain of supplies). This the first time we're going to a festival in a camper van and have no idea what to expect. 

Are the campervan camp sites much the same as the tent camp sites? Any tips on what to do/not do? We pretty much have all (or most of) the gear and no idea :)

Cheers!

Welcome to the CV fields.! Did you get a ticket in East, West or B&W.?

You will find loads of great threads to help on here.. The 'packing list' is particularly good..

enjoy!

First thing you will be guided to a space,  meet new neighbours, get camping stove/BBQ set up, fill up water containers and place under van to keep cool,  the first night we walked to hill  near the entrance  gate, naturally this depends on which CV field you are in , we had a few beers and looked down at the site for the first time.

Then follow the post above about using lock ups etc. most of all enjoy

Edited by keepad

18 hours ago, caballosblancos said:

All excellent advice. There are some small downsides:

1) look after your ticket each day. You’ll need it to get in and out.

2) once you’re in you’re in. No going back to the van. 

3) can be a killer of a walk back home in the early hours 

You can go back to the van easily. Unless you're in one of the fields miles away like E17. 

No matter what way you go in, try get into E19, E20 or E23. Tell them you have mobility issues. Or AIDS or something. Do not, repeat, do not go near E15, 16 or 17 or you'll be a 25 minute walk from gate C, 40 mins from the Pyramid Stage and parked in a field full of foot high nettles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

much easier to bring with you. Saves queuing when everyone else is trying to get water. :) 

open beer.

join queue for water.

chat with fellow water carriers about how many times they have been, how bad the water pressure is, how much they are looking forward to Radiohead..

fill up water barrel.

back to van and open another beer.

tell wife "just met another fucking Radiohead fan... still, more space at The Flaming Lips... I think i might have a glass of port..."

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

You can go back to the van easily. Unless you're in one of the fields miles away like E17. 

No matter what way you go in, try get into E19, E20 or E23. Tell them you have mobility issues. Or AIDS or something. Do not, repeat, do not go near E15, 16 or 17 or you'll be a 25 minute walk from gate C, 40 mins from the Pyramid Stage and parked in a field full of foot high nettles. 

You now have the choice of East Quiet or East General when you book your campervan pass, this determines which field you are in. 

East Quiet are E19, E20, E23  and E24.

If you have an East Normal pass, hope that you get in E14 and E18 and not the ones mentioned by @The Nal:) 

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

much easier to bring with you. Saves queuing when everyone else is trying to get water. :) 

Yep that's what we do, normally take about 150 litres in various barrels to last us all a couple of days (we have an electric/gas shower set up amongst other things). Does make the Tuesday moring pitch up a whole lot easier, costs a few more quid to transport 150 miles but heyho.

Edited by Cooter

The E17 side of the road isn't that bad :) I've been parking there for several years, yes, it's a long way to the site, but it's incredibly quiet.

(I also have a little bike I bring with me, only useful if it's bone dry though:

bsa20-01.jpg )

Edited by paulshane

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

This ^^^^^  I always take two so when the first one runs out I can switch them over and fill up the first at my leisure.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

The days of blagging it are gone now buddy. The only way to get into those fields is if your CV ticket has "Family" on it. Everyone else is pot luck :( 

12 hours ago, Pear_Cider said:

This ^^^^^  I always take two so when the first one runs out I can switch them over and fill up the first at my leisure.

The days of blagging it are gone now buddy. The only way to get into those fields is if your CV ticket has "Family" on it. Everyone else is pot luck :( 

Oh yeah? Last time I campervanned was 2015 I think. They were bringing me in through E25/E19 way and started directing me to E17 direction, over the road but I just kept driving and got a great spot at the end of E19 just at the corner of the path. 

Time to borrow someones baby to get in so. 

12 hours ago, paulshane said:

The E17 side of the road isn't that bad :) I've been parking there for several years, yes, it's a long way to the site, but it's incredibly quiet.

(I also have a little bike I bring with me, only useful if it's bone dry though:

bsa20-01.jpg )

We were at E17 next to the  path/road, I found it ok  and nice and flat to set up on  but then again it was our first time, its a bit of a walk to gate C but nothing major for us.   some nice people both sides of  us maybe it was you hehe

22 minutes ago, rostro said:

Our group have got 5 or 6 vans and are hoping to pitch up together. (We've got east camper van tickets) Our current plan is to meet up a few miles from the site around Tuesday lunchtime and do the last bit in convoy. Would this work? 

it may be a bit of a faff but you should be OK to do it...

You will have to tell them at the first ticket checkpoint or you may get split up then and also as you arrive at the fields.. Given there are so many vans you may want to ask to go on the end of 2 rows (up against a hedge hopefully) rather than 6 of you in a line.

remember that they have to keep fire lanes free ..put whoever has the best persuasion and charm in the front van... ?

16 hours ago, Pear_Cider said:

If your CV ticket says 'Family' on it don't be surprised if they turn you away at the gate. It should say 'Quiet' these days.