Lizzo

CaledonianGonzo

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Looks like it's been taken down. What was the gist?

Worried now as I've finally listened to her album and it's a banger

Something about how people who don’t create music shouldn’t be able to review/criticise others music. Pretty stupid and weird thing to say but nothing that should stop you from enjoying her music (maybe just don’t tweet @ her if you find her next album disappointing).

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Something about how people who don’t create music shouldn’t be able to review/criticise others music. Pretty stupid and weird thing to say but nothing that should stop you from enjoying her music (maybe just don’t tweet @ her if you find her next album disappointing).

Ah that. Seen a few of those popping up on twitter recently. Bit thin skinned really innit. But yeah, not one that's going to make me take a moral stand. I'll go back to getting my groove on :D

On 4/23/2019 at 8:19 PM, D-Low said:

Anyone see this tweet? Can't say I agree, sorry. Not a great attitude to have

https://twitter.com/lizzo/status/1120196214136328192

I don't neccessarily agree but the internet age in general has made me more conscious that something I say or write could be read by real people it's why I try to avoid giving negative opinions on artists because they are people and they have poured their heart and taken risks to do what they have done. Just because it's not for me doesn't make it bad just not for me. 

In recent years my mantra has definitely been celebrate what you love and ignore the stuff you don't. 

Edited by gigpusher
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I don't neccessarily agree but the internet age in general has made me more conscious that something I say or write could be read by real people it's why I try to avoid giving negative opinions on artists because they are people and they have poured their heart and taken risks to do what they have done. Just because it's not for me doesn't make it bad just not for me. 

In recent years my mantra has definitely been celebrate what you love and ignore the stuff you don't. 

Somewhat agree, no point focusing on things you dislike rather than just ignore and embrace what you like within reason.

However for someone who's job is to critique music it's different. Idk why but the idea of an artist getting arsey because a critic didn't give their work a high enough score strikes me as quite petty. The review isn't even that bad really, p4k gave it a 6 I think if that's what she was referring to.

2 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Somewhat agree, no point focusing on things you dislike rather than just ignore and embrace what you like within reason.

However for someone who's job is to critique music it's different. Idk why but the idea of an artist getting arsey because a critic didn't give their work a high enough score strikes me as quite petty. The review isn't even that bad really, p4k gave it a 6 I think if that's what she was referring to.

Yes although for that reason I couldn't be a critic as well. We do choose our jobs. I started a blog reviewing gigs once and stopped it because I saw a fairly terrible (to my mind) support act and I just didn't want to be unkind. Even if they were awful they were better than me, I can't play an instrument, I've never written a song so who am I to criticise. I think the world would be nicer if we didn't criticise and critics only reviewed the things they liked. You'd soon discover which critics have similar taste to you so I don't think the fact that all reviews would be good would be a bad thing. 

I guess I just prefer the idea of building people up rather than tearing people down. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes although for that reason I couldn't be a critic as well. We do choose our jobs. I started a blog reviewing gigs once and stopped it because I saw a fairly terrible (to my mind) support act and I just didn't want to be unkind. Even if they were awful they were better than me, I can't play an instrument, I've never written a song so who am I to criticise. I think the world would be nicer if we didn't criticise and critics only reviewed the things they liked. You'd soon discover which critics have similar taste to you so I don't think the fact that all reviews would be good would be a bad thing. 

I guess I just prefer the idea of building people up rather than tearing people down. 

I don't disagree, but I don't think a mediocre review classes as tearing her down. A critic only reviewing things they like somewhat misses the point surely! There's also the practical use, if a terrible film gets canned in reviews, people will save money by not seeing it! 

I'm all for positivity, but surely giving everyone a gold star and a 10/10 would just be boring. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

As you've said, personally I've never seen the point in a bad review for music. I don't think I've ever once read a negative-based opinion about an artist and based my decision whole heartedly on that alone - yeah it's good for a pointer but I'll always make my own judgment after listening. Music's completely subjective and one man or woman's tastes is going to be totally different to another's and that's the beauty of it. She seemed to personally attack journalists though saying they should all be unemployed if they don't play music which is a bit daft. That's like saying no one can review films unless they make multi million pound movies themselves.

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Quite, it was a 6.5! I wonder how she would react to a 1.6 review like this: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

or this 0.2

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/12135-angles/

full disclosure and humblebrag - Pip came to stay at our place late last year; he was lovely.

18 hours ago, D-Low said:

As you've said, personally I've never seen the point in a bad review for music. I don't think I've ever once read a negative-based opinion about an artist and based my decision whole heartedly on that alone - yeah it's good for a pointer but I'll always make my own judgment after listening. Music's completely subjective and one man or woman's tastes is going to be totally different to another's and that's the beauty of it. She seemed to personally attack journalists though saying they should all be unemployed if they don't play music which is a bit daft. That's like saying no one can review films unless they make multi million pound movies themselves.

Yes she's since deleted it though so I'm guessing that she's reflected on it and realised she was a bit OTT. It's the problem with the internet age. In the spur of the moment you can say something and you have to live with it for life. 

• 2 weeks later...