Lizzo

CaledonianGonzo

I like her cover of Empire State of Mind on the flute.

Also if you look at the videos she favourited at the time, there is a video of her in a rap battle:

And there is a video someone in the audience filmed of one of the gigs for a band she was in. It's so dark you can barely  make anything out, but sound is surprisingly decent:

Just went down a Lizzo wormhole and found an old facebook page for Ellypseas which has a few cool pics of Lizzo from the time:

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, H.M.V said:

That tiny desk is so insanely good. I've said it before, she is gonna be a superstar and probably bigger than Queen B. If anything deservedly so, she's got the whole package. J'adore Lizzo

Lizzo is great, but I think you are a bit OTT with the Beyonce comparison.

Beyonce has done it all. Being in an group who were huge, the solo career, the transformation, her husband being one of the biggest acts of all time who is a mogul... the whole story adds to her status. Beyonce is an icon. Im not the worlds biggest fan of hers, but I recognise her status.

No offence to Lizzo (who I like), but I cant see her attaining that status.

She is a lot more fun than Beyonce. I wish I'd have been able to see her at Glastonbury

12 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Lizzo is great, but I think you are a bit OTT with the Beyonce comparison.

Beyonce has done it all. Being in an group who were huge, the solo career, the transformation, her husband being one of the biggest acts of all time who is a mogul... the whole story adds to her status. Beyonce is an icon. Im not the worlds biggest fan of hers, but I recognise her status.

No offence to Lizzo (who I like), but I cant see her attaining that status.

She is a lot more fun than Beyonce. I wish I'd have been able to see her at Glastonbury

I think if your look at Beyonce's career at the age Lizzo is at, I dont think its OTT to say she is probably going to be the next Beyonce. As all things evolve, she is not going to LITERALLY assume Beyonce's position, but if she continues on her current career trajectory, she could very well be the next generations version of Beyonce. 

A couple more albums full of bangers and she should be headlining the pyramid IMO. 

25 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I think if your look at Beyonce's career at the age Lizzo is at, I dont think its OTT to say she is probably going to be the next Beyonce. As all things evolve, she is not going to LITERALLY assume Beyonce's position, but if she continues on her current career trajectory, she could very well be the next generations version of Beyonce. 

A couple more albums full of bangers and she should be headlining the pyramid IMO. 

Beyoncé headlined Glastonbury when she was a year younger than Lizzo is. :P

A world where Lizzo is the biggest pop star is one where I wanna live but there are major barriers to that. She doesn’t look like  a typical pop star and that’s been something that has dogged her earlier years and now she’s owned it and defeated those odds to some extent more recently. But to get the wider world on board and taking her seriously might be a tough one. But shit, she’s gonna be a star anyway so someone else can be the next Beyoncé and Lizzo can just be Lizzo.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

I was at WH and it was the set of the weekend for me. Also a bug fan and have played the album to death. Agree the Beyonce comparisons are a bit OTT. 

I have to be honest and say the whole body positivity thing becomes a bit too much for my personal tastes after a certain point. I like the general message but find it a bit nauseating after a while.

Edited by gherkin8r

16 hours ago, H.M.V said:

That tiny desk is so insanely good. I've said it before, she is gonna be a superstar and probably bigger than Queen B. If anything deservedly so, she's got the whole package. J'adore Lizzo

She's not going to be bigger than Bey for reasons beyond musical ability, but such is the culture right now.

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Beyoncé headlined Glastonbury when she was a year younger than Lizzo is. :P

A world where Lizzo is the biggest pop star is one where I wanna live but there are major barriers to that. She doesn’t look like  a typical pop star and that’s been something that has dogged her earlier years and now she’s owned it and defeated those odds to some extent more recently. But to get the wider world on board and taking her seriously might be a tough one. But shit, she’s gonna be a star anyway so someone else can be the next Beyoncé and Lizzo can just be Lizzo.

For some reason I assumed Lizzo was about 22. My fault for not checking. She definitely looks about 22. 

7 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

I have to be honest and say the whole body positivity thing becomes a bit too much for my personal tastes after a certain point. I like the general message but find it a bit nauseating after a while.

30 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

About 22 stone

You clearly learnt a lot. ?

• Upvote 1