Lizzo

CaledonianGonzo

19 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Still think it's a bit early for that. 

Have been to one of her gigs? The buzz even outside the venue. I haven't seen that many touts even for a long time. She is totally doing a much much bigger tour. She's getting shout outs from Mariah Carey on Twitter. Collaborations with Ariana Grande, Chris, Charli xcx and Missy Elliott. I don't want to get all fan girl and Janetsrb or whatever their name was but I have no doubt her trajectory is upwards and onwards. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I agree.

But I was originally answering a question about what of Lizzo's music someone should check out.

To which my reply was pretty much what you've said there - that I'm not sure it matters all that much. :P 

Tempo is my tune of the summer. Turned it up and had a boogie whenever I heard it. 

Right I'm gonna bow out cos I'm getting a bit Lawny about Tay. 

Just now, Badlands said:

She's not reinventing the wheel but it'll be in my top ten albums of this year. There's plenty do it better, but there's shit loads that do it worse as well. 

Juice is probably track of the year as well, it bangs like now else!! It's not even her biggest hit. 

Ok but the thing that makes Lizzo different, is Lizzo, to an extent. It's also that shes unapologetically Lizzo which sets her stuff apart from most other pop in a big way. 

Besides that, her shit is bouncy and catchy and the energy is huge. Lizzo will be headlining off next album, guaranteed.

Im with @H.M.V on this one. 

14 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Have been to one of her gigs? The buzz even outside the venue. I haven't seen that many touts even for a long time. She is totally doing a much much bigger tour. She's getting shout outs from Mariah Carey on Twitter. Collaborations with Ariana Grande, Chris, Charli xcx and Missy Elliott. I don't want to get all fan girl and Janetsrb or whatever their name was but I have no doubt her trajectory is upwards and onwards. 

Haven't been to a gig yet but, as I say, I've watched some live performances (including Glastonbury) on TV and it is impressive. 

I'm not saying she's not going to be massive but I do think she needs to churn out another few stone cold, mainstream bangers before she's selling out an arena tour. She may very well do that but I agree with Neil's initial point that much of what I've heard on record doesn't blow me away. 

36 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Haven't been to a gig yet but, as I say, I've watched some live performances (including Glastonbury) on TV and it is impressive. 

I'm not saying she's not going to be massive but I do think she needs to churn out another few stone cold, mainstream bangers before she's selling out an arena tour. She may very well do that but I agree with Neil's initial point that much of what I've heard on record doesn't blow me away. 

As with @gmb1992 I went to Brixton last Wednesday. 

I'd seen her in West Holts last year and that was my favourite set of the weekend, her own show got an even more OTT reception. 

As soon as you came out of the tube there were lots of keen touts trying to buy any spares, not much sign of them selling.  Once she started even the less well known songs got a crazy reception, loads of the crowd singing along and then 30 seconds to a minute of rapturous applause whilst her and the dancers smiled and waited patiently for us to finish.

Once she got the flute out or started having a boogie, those young pups really lost their sh*t    :D 

Not sure if I've seen many gigs like it over 35 years.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd argue her banger ratio is actually pretty hefty for someone with (relatively) little output. She filled an hour at the G easily.

And thats without even whacking out bops like Like A Girl.

Admittedly, there is quite a bit that could he trimmed from her G setlist with relative ease to make way for more bangers but still.

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

I'd argue she's got more bangers than Foals and 1975 combined yet we're constantly arguing about which of them will be headlining. 

In fairness, Foals have had six albums, each in the top ten. The 1975's three albums have all hit number one. Lizzo's one charted album peaked at 40. It's fair that she's not in the same conversation at this point, but it would be monumentally more exciting to somebody like her take the stage than either of them.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

In fairness, Foals have had six albums, each in the top ten. The 1975's three albums have all hit number one. Lizzo's one charted album peaked at 40. It's fair that she's not in the same conversation at this point, but it would be monumentally more exciting to somebody like her take the stage than either of them.

*Pages jntsrb for some scintillating Lizzo stats*

Lizzo's fantastic but I am very much of the opinion that her recorded output is firmly in the shadow of her charisma and stage presence as an entertainer. For instance, the album Cuz I Love You doesn't really do it for me just listening to it but watching the West Holts set, those same songs are fully realised. And it's fine - as live music fans, that's the way round we want it and that's what will keep her star shining in the long term.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Lizzo's fantastic but I am very much of the opinion that her recorded output is firmly in the shadow of her charisma and stage presence as an entertainer. For instance, the album Cuz I Love You doesn't really do it for me just listening to it but watching the West Holts set, those same songs are fully realised. And it's fine - as live music fans, that's the way round we want it and that's what will keep her star shining in the long term.

Like a female version of The Hives.

• Like 1