Lizzo

CaledonianGonzo

21 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

I was at WH and it was the set of the weekend for me. Also a bug fan and have played the album to death. Agree the Beyonce comparisons are a bit OTT. 

I have to be honest and say the whole body positivity thing becomes a bit too much for my personal tastes after a certain point. I like the general message but find it a bit nauseating after a while.

you should hang on in there because beyond the 'whole body positivity thing' it just becomes a positivity thing....

we could all do with a little of that.

3 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

you should hang on in there because beyond the 'whole body positivity thing' it just becomes a positivity thing....

we could all do with a little of that.

I'll to stick to realism over delusion thanks. Being seriously overweight isn't something to love about yourself. More something you need to address? 

2 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

I'll to stick to realism over delusion thanks. Being seriously overweight isn't something to love about yourself. More something you need to address? 

Did you see her in West Holts?

I'd find it extraordinary that somebody could be there and be cold to that.  

14 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Did you see her in West Holts?

I'd find it extraordinary that somebody could be there and be cold to that.  

I did and thoroughly enjoyed the show and the music as I have said. Like I said it's all the other nonsense about self live I'm not into and find a bit nauseating.

2 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I did and thoroughly enjoyed the show and the music as I have said. Like I said it's all the other nonsense about self live I'm not into and find a bit nauseating.

Wow, I find it amazing that someone could be there, enjoy it and feel that tbh.

Her ethos and her music and very much intertwined, which you've obviously noticed from the lyrics.

8 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Wow, I find it amazing that someone could be there, enjoy it and feel that tbh.

Her ethos and her music and very much intertwined, which you've obviously noticed from the lyrics.

Shes a great performer and and incredibly talented. I like her music and she puts on a great show. I don't however have any desire or need to be told how to love myself more. I suppose that has some benefit for girls with body image issues or something but I find it a little bit tedious and bordering on patronising. 

11 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Shes a great performer and and incredibly talented. I like her music and she puts on a great show. I don't however have any desire or need to be told how to love myself more. I suppose that has some benefit for girls with body image issues or something but I find it a little bit tedious and bordering on patronising. 

I mean, not just women and not just people with body issue images, the majority of people can do with a confidence boost occasionally and that is what Lizzo is all about, accepting yourself and not worrying about what other people think - emotions that most people have

21 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

West Holts was a sea of tears of positivity. Obviously this chump missed the meeting. Amazing he always has something to say about females and what they should and shouldn't be thinking or doing. 

Sorry but I've just not said women should or shouldn't be thinking or doing anything. Just saying the self love thing or body positivity thing isn't to my tastes. I think the fact that her fan base are predominantly females plays out my assertion that it may be more applicable to them. Sorry if that doesn't fit with you alleging or at least perceiving sexism in everything I say. 

24 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Edited by gherkin8r

7 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Sorry but I've just not said women should or shouldn't be thinking or doing anything. Just saying the self love thing or body positivity thing isn't to my tastes. I think the fact that her fan base are predominantly females plays out my assertion that it may be more applicable to them. Sorry if that doesn't fit with you alleging or at least perceiving sexism in everything I say. 

Oh no, what you said was definitely sexist, that wasn't perception.  Ironically patronising too.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

I don't however have any desire or need to be told how to love myself more. I suppose that has some benefit for girls with body image issues or something but I find it a little bit tedious and bordering on patronising. 

Did you miss Neil's posts in the past about that set?

All of the people I know who like Lizzo and what she stands for fall outside of your narrow minded stereotype. 

20 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

Then you are not the target market. It's ok to not be the target market. It doesn't have to be about you.

i don't think i've busted out my namedropping story here just yet, apologies if i have: 

I was volunteering for Oxfam this year and i was given my shifts for the Vehicle gate in the SE corner, basically round the back of the Common there was a vehicle gate and a small staff pedestrian gate, for anyone camping/caravanning out there. Pretty much all staff and performers. It was a fairly quiet gate with probably only a few hundred people camping out there, so after a shift or two you'd start recognising a few of the 'regulars' as they got their wristbands scanned in and out. I said hello to a lycra-clad American lass a couple of times, she was really sunny  and with an absolutely colossal smile on her chops - not in a drug-filled shitfaced way, but in a really friendly way - we had a couple of little chats, she said she was performing on one of the stages, i said good luck etc. Had no idea who she was, i presumed she was a singer or a dancer cos there were a fair few of them camped outside that gate. 

Anyways - i got home on the monday, and was reading the Guardian reviews and the various reports from here about the highlights - i get to a pic and a story about this here Lizzo who everyone universally loved - and its the self same bird i'd talked to! 

so the moral of my story is: people are nice. well, some of em. 

• Upvote 6