Lizzo

CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Personality, stage presence, talent - absolutely.  Just needs to keep the tunes coming.  The size of the crowd at WH genuinely amazed me. Then EVERYONE bought into the whole thing and I was amazed even more.

I would like it to be told that I totally foresaw this and in fact had a discussion in the JJ thread about how it was lucky they were on at the same time or otherwise Lizzo would be ridiculously overcrowded and people thought I was crazy. They're not saying I'm crazy now!! ? I was just lucky enough to have seen her live twice and knew what she was capable of. 

The craziest bit is that the ticket prices are double what they were in May, at a worse venue and it's still sold out. 

1 hour ago, djdavejohnson said:

Ah man. Good job she's great. Any tips on travel to/from the venue for a newbie? Will be arriving into Piccadilly from work but driving home. Also, while we're at it, any recommended Manchester venues in general? Heard Gorilla and Albert Hall are decent? And now you can enjoy your weekend ?

Deaf Institute and Band On The Wall are also good ones. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Ah yes Band On The Wall has been mentioned. I will check out Deaf Institute, thanks :D

Both do decent food as well so if you are ever going to a gig there and arrive early they are worth trying for food as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2019 at 7:02 PM, H.M.V said:

Lizzo could easily be as big as Queen Bey! Been saying it since that set! 

Big shout that, but one that I would love to see come true. 

She’s certainly got all the key ingredients to be a megastar.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:45 AM, Quark said:

Personality, stage presence, talent - absolutely.  Just needs to keep the tunes coming.  The size of the crowd at WH genuinely amazed me. Then EVERYONE bought into the whole thing and I was amazed even more.

She's got that going for her that's for sure! ? 

Edited by Thunderstruck

On 7/12/2019 at 5:23 PM, gigpusher said:

I would like it to be told that I totally foresaw this and in fact had a discussion in the JJ thread about how it was lucky they were on at the same time or otherwise Lizzo would be ridiculously overcrowded and people thought I was crazy. They're not saying I'm crazy now!! ? I was just lucky enough to have seen her live twice and knew what she was capable of. 

The craziest bit is that the ticket prices are double what they were in May, at a worse venue and it's still sold out. 

I actually thought Lizzo would have no crowd due to being on at the same time as Jackson. Ha! Finger on the pulse, me.

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I actually thought Lizzo would have no crowd due to being on at the same time as Jackson. Ha! Finger on the pulse, me.

That's usually my level of finger on the pulse but I went to see Chvrches in November 2014 and Lizzo was supporting. I knew Batches and Cookies but nothing else and I was blown away. I nearly bought a t-shirt (I rarely buy merch at a gig because I can't be bothered carrying it around) and after the gig we talked about Lizzo more than Chvrches. It's not often the support is more memorable than the main act. Saw her in May and thought wow she's really grown musically and still has that same amazing personality that can shrink large venues and make you feel like you've been part of something special and intimate. There are not many who can do that. She is a special character. What she has is that x factor that not many have. 

Absolutely outstanding. As good as Glastonbury gets. I loved it, all of it, unreservedly. And, i got to be honest, watching it back on Iplayer has made me a bit wobbly and emotional. So glad i was there.

• Upvote 2

Made a snap last minute decision to go see Lizzo after i'd already ventured to the park to see Foals and I have to say it's easily the best decision i've ever made at the festival. 

I'm sure Foals were great but everything about that Lizzo set was just beautiful 

7 hours ago, gigpusher said:

That's usually my level of finger on the pulse but I went to see Chvrches in November 2014 and Lizzo was supporting. I knew Batches and Cookies but nothing else and I was blown away. I nearly bought a t-shirt (I rarely buy merch at a gig because I can't be bothered carrying it around) and after the gig we talked about Lizzo more than Chvrches. It's not often the support is more memorable than the main act. Saw her in May and thought wow she's really grown musically and still has that same amazing personality that can shrink large venues and make you feel like you've been part of something special and intimate. There are not many who can do that. She is a special character. What she has is that x factor that not many have. 

That last sentence covers it. Felt like I was seeing something special and someone that is gonna be a lot bigger than 4th Top on West Holts.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Mardy said:

Here she is doing the Tiny Desk concert, and of course, just fucking smashing it

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/29/732097345/lizzo-tiny-desk-concert?jwsource=cl

Just coming to comment on it. She has such star power that, in the next few years, I'm positive that she'll be putting an Emmy next to the Grammy she gets next year.

• Upvote 1

We're just watching this back, again.

I've been going to Glastonbury for a long time now, and this show was up there with the very best things I've ever seen on the farm.

West Holts was as packed as I've ever seen it, and the field was in the palm of her hand from beginning to end.

Utterly sensational.