Jump to content
The other Bellboy

So what did late night entertainment consist of pre SE corner?

Recommended Posts

I gotta say I don't like the whole other late night festival thing. It's not that I think it's bad, but the day and night are almost separate beasts with different crowds and it's changed things.

I'm absolutely not saying one crowd is better than the other and I'm not going to say that change is Bad, I certainly appreciate for new people it's an incredible riot of non-stop entertainment unlike anything else and I get why it blows them away, it still does that to me too.

But for me it has taken away a thing that was very special about Glastonbury. I never had a lack of things to do at night without the whole night festival - between all the excited talk of the day before and the day to come, so many little venues and some quite lively ones deeper in the site, the cinema field and the stone circle, fire displays and so many campfires to hop between through campsites full of life and noise with parties and boomboxes and cheering singalongs staying up until dawn it was a joyous energy that I didn't find anywhere else.

Now that's just gone entirely. There's some of it still in the Greenfields, but the campsites are just dead and the vast majority still up do the night festival thing, which is fine, but to me it's a separate festival and would be better As a separate festival. The crowds only sort-of mix and there are lot of people who are only there for that. With no blame on any parties both crowds dilute each other and while the mix is fun I think they were/would be stronger sauce separated - part of why I think Boomtown works so well. I've enjoyed Glasto more since writing off that side as no more than a wander through keeping my peak singing my heart out at headliners and finding the daytime things that are magic, then dancing my nuts off all night at BT instead - each with all the energy and enthusiasm they deserve rather than trying to spread myself across both at one festival which even at my most youthful and enthusiastic meant one or the other was a bit zombie.

At it's most general for any festival I think the atmosphere works best if everyone is peaking roughly simultaneously, that has been muddied a little but in the process become a larger and more splendiferous thing. Choose your own adventure all I'd really say is with so many options don't feel you have to do it all - a load whole-hearted is more fun than a lot half-hearted

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, frostypaw said:

I gotta say I don't like the whole other late night festival thing. It's not that I think it's bad, but the day and night are almost separate beasts with different crowds and it's changed things.

I'm absolutely not saying one crowd is better than the other and I'm not going to say that change is Bad, I certainly appreciate for new people it's an incredible riot of non-stop entertainment unlike anything else and I get why it blows them away, it still does that to me too.

But for me it has taken away a thing that was very special about Glastonbury. I never had a lack of things to do at night without the whole night festival - between all the excited talk of the day before and the day to come, so many little venues and some quite lively ones deeper in the site, the cinema field and the stone circle, fire displays and so many campfires to hop between through campsites full of life and noise with parties and boomboxes and cheering singalongs staying up until dawn it was a joyous energy that I didn't find anywhere else.

Now that's just gone entirely. There's some of it still in the Greenfields, but the campsites are just dead and the vast majority still up do the night festival thing, which is fine, but to me it's a separate festival and would be better As a separate festival. The crowds only sort-of mix and there are lot of people who are only there for that. With no blame on any parties both crowds dilute each other and while the mix is fun I think they were/would be stronger sauce separated - part of why I think Boomtown works so well. I've enjoyed Glasto more since writing off that side as no more than a wander through keeping my peak singing my heart out at headliners and finding the daytime things that are magic, then dancing my nuts off all night at BT instead - each with all the energy and enthusiasm they deserve rather than trying to spread myself across both at one festival which even at my most youthful and enthusiastic meant one or the other was a bit zombie.

At it's most general for any festival I think the atmosphere works best if everyone is peaking roughly simultaneously, that has been muddied a little but in the process become a larger and more splendiferous thing. Choose your own adventure all I'd really say is with so many options don't feel you have to do it all - a load whole-hearted is more fun than a lot half-hearted

That's pretty much what I meant to express in earlier posts, but failed to in a spectacular manner.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thanks LeeHC. I'm really glad we're all good now. Appreciated. :)

Wishing you a fab 2019 Glastonbury. I may well go for it in 2020, so maybe, hopefully, our oaths will cross then.

All the best. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 10:54 AM, Woffy said:

Ahhhhh, the glorious hours I’ve spent dancing with about 20 other people outside a random stall. 

Anyone remember that Radio 1 DJ booth thing from the early-ish 2000s? I seem to remember it was ‘high up’ on a gantry or something, near the corner where that orange recharge tent was for a while. 

Yes! There were steps up to a little deck/dancefloor - a nice position from which to watch the festival tick over. We saw Paul Oakenfold play there in 2000. Good weather, sun setting, world's no1 trance DJ, loads of people just passing by and not realising he was on. Great times. He opened up with... "Open Up" by Leftfield. One time machine, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 10:54 AM, Woffy said:

Ahhhhh, the glorious hours I’ve spent dancing with about 20 other people outside a random stall. 

Anyone remember that Radio 1 DJ booth thing from the early-ish 2000s? I seem to remember it was ‘high up’ on a gantry or something, near the corner where that orange recharge tent was for a while. 

I remember the Radio 1 one being there in 2003 and 4. I remember the volume being really low in 2004 and people kept shouting turn it up. 

I seem to recall from my 1st Glastonbury in 03 that there was a stage called Energy 24 or something in the area where Leftfield tent is now that played dance music 24/7 over the festival. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dondo said:

I remember the Radio 1 one being there in 2003 and 4. I remember the volume being really low in 2004 and people kept shouting turn it up. 

I seem to recall from my 1st Glastonbury in 03 that there was a stage called Energy 24 or something in the area where Leftfield tent is now that played dance music 24/7 over the festival. 

I recall Radio 1 being there one year (I don't know which), and they'd put in an additional shower block for people to use which was right next to where we were camped. I don't think a lot of people knew about it though, as you could almost go there at any time of the night or day, and just walk in ie. no queues. That year was the only time that I have ever showered at Glastonbury.I seem to recall showering on two occasions during that festival, as it was painless to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For reference, if some kind of Back To The Future shenanigans happens, and my timeline needs to be restored,  the Radio 1 stage in 2004 is where my wife and I had our first kiss.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, uscore said:

For reference, if some kind of Back To The Future shenanigans happens, and my timeline needs to be restored,  the Radio 1 stage in 2004 is where my wife and I had our first kiss.

Just in case you might need to start saving

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183708495237

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 2:23 AM, frostypaw said:

I gotta say I don't like the whole other late night festival thing. It's not that I think it's bad, but the day and night are almost separate beasts with different crowds and it's changed things.

I'm absolutely not saying one crowd is better than the other and I'm not going to say that change is Bad, I certainly appreciate for new people it's an incredible riot of non-stop entertainment unlike anything else and I get why it blows them away, it still does that to me too.

But for me it has taken away a thing that was very special about Glastonbury. I never had a lack of things to do at night without the whole night festival - between all the excited talk of the day before and the day to come, so many little venues and some quite lively ones deeper in the site, the cinema field and the stone circle, fire displays and so many campfires to hop between through campsites full of life and noise with parties and boomboxes and cheering singalongs staying up until dawn it was a joyous energy that I didn't find anywhere else.

Now that's just gone entirely. There's some of it still in the Greenfields, but the campsites are just dead and the vast majority still up do the night festival thing, which is fine, but to me it's a separate festival and would be better As a separate festival. The crowds only sort-of mix and there are lot of people who are only there for that. With no blame on any parties both crowds dilute each other and while the mix is fun I think they were/would be stronger sauce separated - part of why I think Boomtown works so well. I've enjoyed Glasto more since writing off that side as no more than a wander through keeping my peak singing my heart out at headliners and finding the daytime things that are magic, then dancing my nuts off all night at BT instead - each with all the energy and enthusiasm they deserve rather than trying to spread myself across both at one festival which even at my most youthful and enthusiastic meant one or the other was a bit zombie.

At it's most general for any festival I think the atmosphere works best if everyone is peaking roughly simultaneously, that has been muddied a little but in the process become a larger and more splendiferous thing. Choose your own adventure all I'd really say is with so many options don't feel you have to do it all - a load whole-hearted is more fun than a lot half-hearted

Said it much more articulately than I could. Seconded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NorthernScum said:

Yes! There were steps up to a little deck/dancefloor - a nice position from which to watch the festival tick over. We saw Paul Oakenfold play there in 2000. Good weather, sun setting, world's no1 trance DJ, loads of people just passing by and not realising he was on. Great times. He opened up with... "Open Up" by Leftfield. One time machine, please.

 

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I recall Radio 1 being there one year (I don't know which), and they'd put in an additional shower block for people to use which was right next to where we were camped. I don't think a lot of people knew about it though, as you could almost go there at any time of the night or day, and just walk in ie. no queues. That year was the only time that I have ever showered at Glastonbury.I seem to recall showering on two occasions during that festival, as it was painless to do so. 

Thank you, both!

I knew it!

It's nice to know my aging memory hasn't completely failed me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

Said it much more articulately than I could. Seconded.

Cheers tho it's taken about five years of refinement to not sound like a dick. I think the situation has improved since it's nadir, there are a lot more little chills and places for life to gather away from the campsites without being completely organised now and the Stone Circle has been getting some great attention. I hope they expand the village greens idea everywhere as it definitely brings back some of the mad campsite art and crazy feel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I recall Radio 1 being there one year (I don't know which), and they'd put in an additional shower block for people to use which was right next to where we were camped. I don't think a lot of people knew about it though, as you could almost go there at any time of the night or day, and just walk in ie. no queues. That year was the only time that I have ever showered at Glastonbury.I seem to recall showering on two occasions during that festival, as it was painless to do so. 

I remember those showers.  I don't know how many years they were around for, but in 1998 they were (I think) in the field that currently hosts the John Peel tent and was back then the outdoor cinema.

I remember it being 1998 because it was very rainy all weekend, and we were soaked to the skin.  We went and got into the showers (no queues as you say) fully clothed, cos at least it was warmer in there.  The showers had Radio 1 piped in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We still try to keep the campfire vibe going at ours, but it depends on being able to secure space really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Quark said:

We still try to keep the campfire vibe going at ours, but it depends on being able to secure space really

We always have one and it is normally going most nights. Bit of a tradition that we all congregate around there on the Monday morning when we all return from our night maneuvers . Always great to warm up and exchange stories

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I remember those showers.  I don't know how many years they were around for, but in 1998 they were (I think) in the field that currently hosts the John Peel tent and was back then the outdoor cinema.

I remember it being 1998 because it was very rainy all weekend, and we were soaked to the skin.  We went and got into the showers (no queues as you say) fully clothed, cos at least it was warmer in there.  The showers had Radio 1 piped in there.

Must have been more than one year that they were around for then, because it wasn't rainy the year that I used them.  I don't know what the field is called now but we (my mates and me) know it as Top Webbs Ash. If you are facing the Pyramid Stage it's to the right and up the hill. Well,these shower units were a bit further right again. They were actually partially obscured by a large hedge or some trees (can't remember), which is probably why they weren't that busy, because people didn't spot them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Must have been more than one year that they were around for then, because it wasn't rainy the year that I used them.  I don't know what the field is called now but we (my mates and me) know it as Top Webbs Ash. If you are facing the Pyramid Stage it's to the right and up the hill. Well,these shower units were a bit further right again. They were actually partially obscured by a large hedge or some trees (can't remember), which is probably why they weren't that busy, because people didn't spot them.

Now you've made me think!

I maybe have the field wrong, as I recall it being up in that direction and also it being obscured by a hedge.  It was definitely raining though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Now you've made me think!

I maybe have the field wrong, as I recall it being up in that direction and also it being obscured by a hedge.  It was definitely raining though!

Hello fatyeti24,

Now you are making me doubt myself (which is easily done) about the weather, but was pretty sure it was a dry and occasionally sunny one. I'll email one of my brothers who was also there at the time to see if he remembers. Watch this space.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Now you've made me think!

I maybe have the field wrong, as I recall it being up in that direction and also it being obscured by a hedge.  It was definitely raining though!

I emailed my brother and he said that he remembered the year we used the Radio 1 showers very well. He said that there was definitely no wet weather that year, which is pretty much as I remembered it. So, they must have had it on site for at least two years. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 6:38 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

 

Thanks LeeHC. I'm really glad we're all good now. Appreciated. :)

Wishing you a fab 2019 Glastonbury. I may well go for it in 2020, so maybe, hopefully, our oaths will cross then.

All the best. 

Hanging out in the green fields- lizard and toad hall etc sounds closest to what you and Frostypaw were getting at I agree- had some great times hanging out by little fires on the edge chatting and 'indulging'! 

Still, the first proper Shangri-la with its micro venues was one of my most mind-bending glasto experiences!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

 

Still, the first proper Shangri-la with its micro venues was one of my most mind-bending glasto experiences!

Indeed, and there no doubt that a few first timers this year will also have their minds bent by that experience. In fact, all the other areas will blow their minds too. I'm going to miss not going to the festival this year, but heavily suspect that I'll be trying for 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...