So what did late night entertainment consist of pre SE corner?

The other Bellboy

I have a memory from the early 90's of a large marquee that was some kind of 'cannabis / hemp awareness' type set up that during day was quite boring - leaflets, posters etc but at night turned into a massive rave. One night a fire engine pulled up outside, the firemen all got out and started dancing like mad men on top of the fire engine in full kit. 

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned before - wasn't there a Rizzla tent at some point? Was that way back, or is it still there? I really can't recall. It's just that I read fuzzy_logic's post above, and it automatically came in to my head - if you'll excuse the expression.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned before - wasn't there a Rizzla tent at some point? Was that way back, or is it still there? I really can't recall. It's just that I read fuzzy_logic's post above, and it automatically came in to my head - if you'll excuse the expression.

I remember the Rizla tent! It was a den of iniquity as I recall. I think that was a while back but I couldn't say exactly when it went.

44 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

I remember the Rizla tent! It was a den of iniquity as I recall. I think that was a while back but I couldn't say exactly when it went.

Yeah, to my recollection it did seem to attract the right sort of people, for my liking. I think that it may have gone on later than a lot of other venues too, but that may be a phantom memory.

35 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We used to shout "bollocks". That was fun.

I'd forgotten about that, but recall it now. It used to be shouted a lot on the Sunday evening where I camped. It would cross the field in a Mexican wave stylee. At first, I did wonder why it was being shouted, but then it occurred to me that it might be people's expression of unhappiness that the festival was ending. However, since then, on this site, I'm sure I've read that 'Blollocks' was shouted on other days too. Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

I've just remembered that one of my brothers used to go to Glastonbury years before I ever did. He said that there were makeshift stalls amongst the campsites, which sold hash hot knives, and heroin for afters. I guess you made your own fun at night, after visiting one of those stalls. I'm pretty sure one could stare at one's own belly button for hours after that kind of indulgence, and be pretty happy with your lot. My brother told me that he smoked heroin at Glastonbury. He is absolutely barking mad now. Not sure if it's as a result of his indulgences, or whether it's hereditary! lol

Which reminds me - I recall a makeshift stall near the area which was, then, called Top Webbs Ash. They used to do tea, coffee, chocolate bars, and had rolling papers with Property of HM Prison Service ________ . The underscore is because I can't remember the name of the prison. I now wonder if these were actually 'liberated' from a prison supply, or whether they were a gimmick. What I can tell you is that you couldn't have got them printed up as cheaply as you could nowadays. Still none the wiser though. Oh, and by the way - they must have made a tax free fortune off the tea and coffee alone.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:47 PM, Glastoboy said:

As Neil pointed out, he feels that another landmark change was in the early nighties when the travellers were thrown out and the "mainstream" arrived and he's probably right about that.

That's really not what happened, there were tens of thousands of us mainstream folk there coexisting and loving seeing them and their stuff and  way of life. 

As for @Yoghurt on a Stickthat cheap Costa coffee line doesn't do yourself or the current festival any favours and it detracted from your point with that aspect. 

On 2/28/2019 at 12:35 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

We used to shout "bollocks". That was fun.

Yep, it used to envelop the site and suddenly surround you like Negan & the saviour's whistle in the walking dead. It was actually a nice moment on the wednesday evening once night had fallen

On 2/27/2019 at 6:51 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Think it was earlier than that, '93 or'94?  ish

edit. mis read your post.

the shot was about an hour after Orbital finished in '94

i took cover/jumped off my bale and landed on some unfortunate soul to the side of me

and subsequently won the 'most to stoned person at glastonbury' award, bequeathed by an independent panel of judges too

Joe Bananas was always on the Williams Green crossroads and was lively all night in the early 90s. Used to camp in Kidney Mead and always got waylaid till daylight.

Remember we had the outdoor cinema there as well. Bizarre having sound but no pictures as the sun came up ?

I vaguely ‘recall’ being somewhere on site in, I reckon it was 92, probably up somewhere near the Greenfields. There was some sort of Arthurian legend thing going on, with dragons and fire, probably on the Thursday night...

Anyone else...?

46 minutes ago, Titters said:

Anyone remember the Spunky clothing stall playing happy hardcore till the wee hours?? 

Or am I making that up? 

Think that’s Joe Bananas.

Rizla tent played drum and bass quite late it was there in 2000 maybe later.

the Bollocks chant often started if a drop of rain was felt, so you could hear the rain coming with the chant. Then I think it just happened randomly at times as well.

10 hours ago, Titters said:

Anyone remember the Spunky clothing stall playing happy hardcore till the wee hours?? 

Or am I making that up? 

I remember in 2004 there being a stall in the markets between the Other stage and Pyramid near to where the Radio 1 stage was that used to blast out tunes after R1 had finished. Pretty sure it was of the hardcore/ happy hard-core genre. Not sure if it was called Spunky or not