So what did late night entertainment consist of pre SE corner?

The other Bellboy

48 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I can see why you think that and know some others who would go back to that, but of course this is reality and that isn't the choice.

It's the modern day equivalent or nowt, ss it became increasingly apparent then that it was on a path to no longer existing if it didn't change. 

Hello clarkete,

I know that it isn't a choice. It's just that I would wish everyone on here to have that experience of 'the old days'. Then they'd have both experiences. I'm really not one of those people who say that 'it ain't what it used to be'. It is what it is, and I am more than happy that it still exists. It is, and hopefully will be for quite some time, the best festival on the planet. 

So yaa boo sucks Mr. Burning man.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Keithy said:

I feel very lucky in that the festival has aged with me. I couldn't deal with pre fence Glastonbury now but the current incarnation is very agreeable with me. Whether that's a good thing is a discussion.

This is it exactly with me.

I started in '95 and it was bloody great for me at the time. If it was still like that now, I wouldn't still be going. It also would've been stopped. The change that occurred with the the Super-Fence in 2002 was quite a shock and it took a good few years to evolve in to the marvellous and different beast that it is now.

Regarding the late night shenanigans, it's all a bit hazy (I'm very jealous of those peeps who say "I vividly recall ..." or "I clearly remember ..."). Anyway, pre-fence I'm sure I spent an evening or two dancing outside a stall or searching out a sound-system, sometimes in the car parks (?). The Stone Circle was also essential for sunrise and was much livelier then than now with its balloon and canister brigade.

28 minutes ago, MrHew said:

I'm loving how this thread is triggering my nostalgia for what I consider 'the old days' but also giving me 1st hand memories from before my time.

It's amazing. Glastonbury sounds like a completely different festival a couple of decades back and am loving the tales.

I would have loved to have seen what was like pre safety fence but I must admit, I have grown quite attached to the current incarnation and all the benefits that comes with it (much larger and varied line up, a wealth of areas and stages).  What strikes me the most is the attitude of the punters was different back then, maybe it is rose tinted glasses or because of the reduced amount of late night action back then but there appeared to be more of a community feeling.

Then again, I'll probably be saying the same thing in about 10 years 

37 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I have grown quite attached to the current incarnation and all the benefits that comes with it (much larger and varied line up, a wealth of areas and stages).

there's no meaningful difference in line-up and stages/areas as a result of the fence.

Almost all the stages are how they were pre-fence, with just The Park being new - but new stages got added as the years went by anyway.

The SE corner changed from Lost Vagueness to what it is now, but that's about evolution rather than the fence.

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there's no meaningful difference in line-up and stages/areas as a result of the fence.

Almost all the stages are how they were pre-fence, with just The Park being new - but new stages got added as the years went by anyway.

The SE corner changed from Lost Vagueness to what it is now, but that's about evolution rather than the fence.

There's been quite a proliferation of new stages during this century, couldn't that in part be attributed to the extra funding available by being allowed to increase the ticket numbers since there weren't any jumpers?  The site may not have expanded much, but if you look at, for example The Glade area, there are tonnes more venues there, same for the Dance Village.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There's been quite a proliferation of new stages during this century, couldn't that in part be attributed to the extra funding available by being allowed to increase the ticket numbers since there weren't any jumpers?  The site may not have expanded much, but if you look at, for example The Glade area, there are tonnes more venues there, same for the Dance Village.

the dance scene has changed over the years, and I'd say the multiple venues for the dancey areas is a reflection of that change.

I know for example that the first change in what's now Silver Hayes - from one big dance tent to multiple tents - was nothing at all to do with licencing or the fence, but to reflect how the dance scene was changing, and to be able to offer more variety.

The need to entertain the extra numbers that a 'safe' licence allowed for might have been in the mix when changes happened, but ultimately that's nothing different to how the venues changed and expanded over the years as the event grew before the big fence.

They tried a thing called Midnight's Carnival in 2005 in the Theatre and Circus fields. I think the idea was to take a bit of pressure off of Lost Vagueness and the The Glade, which had been rammed the year before.

I remember watching some performers (it was more arts than music) on the Thursday night and hearing a storm in the distance as I went to bed. That was THE storm - didn't stop raining for 12 hours and by the time it stopped large parts of the site were underwater.

To the best of my knowledge that was the only appearance of Midnight's Carnival...

15 minutes ago, budvar said:

They tried a thing called Midnight's Carnival in 2005 in the Theatre and Circus fields. I think the idea was to take a bit of pressure off of Lost Vagueness and the The Glade, which had been rammed the year before.

I remember watching some performers (it was more arts than music) on the Thursday night and hearing a storm in the distance as I went to bed. That was THE storm - didn't stop raining for 12 hours and by the time it stopped large parts of the site were underwater.

To the best of my knowledge that was the only appearance of Midnight's Carnival...

If i'm remembering correctly that was the last year of Lost Vagueness, and that part was put together by some people who'd already split off from LV as it fell apart - and was probably the thing that killed LV off completely.

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'd say that there's no way on the planet that it's current incarnation would even be in the same league as it's previous one. It's just that a lot of people who go nowadays simply don't know an alternative. The reason why I have given up on Glastonbury (which I have) is that it is becoming as homogeneous as a fair ground or Costa Coffee

Mocking this oft-repeated and tired opinion. Not you as a person.. I think this is just offensive to people going for the first time and having an awesome time. 

Just because their experience is different to yours does not make it _lesser_. Nostalgia is a weird thing.

23 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

Mocking this oft-repeated and tired opinion. Not you as a person.. I think this is just offensive to people going for the first time and having an awesome time. 

Just because their experience is different to yours does not make it _lesser_. Nostalgia is a weird thing.

I cannot for the life of me see how my statement could be interpreted as offensive to people going for the first time. Could you explain why? I'm not saying it isn't offensive, as to you, at least, it is, it's just that I can't make that connection.

In addition to the above, I never stated that new comers experience was lesser. I can't make that connection either. Which words did I use to say that?

20 hours ago, MrHew said:

I'm loving how this thread is triggering my nostalgia for what I consider 'the old days' but also giving me 1st hand memories from before my time.

4 hours ago, MrHew said:

You'd be wise not to trust your memory too much ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

You'd be wise not to trust your memory too much ;)

Ooh, would you look at that. When I went to comment again my comment was still in the text box. Just assumed I hadn't hit Submit Reply. I'll blame my phone, not my brain...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I cannot for the life of me see how my statement could be interpreted as offensive to people going for the first time. Could you explain why? I'm not saying it isn't offensive, as to you, at least, it is, it's just that I can't make that connection.

In addition to the above, I never stated that new comers experience was lesser. I can't make that connection either. Which words did I use to say that?

Not to me- to newbies. Offensive is maybe strong, but rude at least. 

You're saying people coming now get a rubbish version of the festival, not like the good version I used to go to. .

1 hour ago, LeeHC said:

I'd say that there's no way on the planet that it's current incarnation would even be in the same league as it's previous one. It's just that a lot of people who go nowadays simply don't know an alternative. The reason why I have given up on Glastonbury (which I have) is that it is becoming as homogeneous as a fair ground or Costa Coffee

Re-read what you wrote... Maybe different isn't worse- you say yourself you've given up on it so how can you even know how good it is now?

@LeeHC. I'm going to come to Yogs defence here a bit. They started off by saying they wish everyone could experience both and I understand this, I'd love to be able to hop into a time machine and experience it again myself - and take a modern day newbie.

The comparison to it nowadays being as homogenous as a fair ground or Costa is a bit harsh but they are comparing it to a Glastonbury that was a great deal more like a chaotic wild west than the national cultural beacon it is today. It used to be counterculture and today it is mentioned in the same sentence as Wimbledon and Glyndebourne.

Also, the oft-repeated joke/comment that the festival isn't as good as it used to be probably started in 1971. As Neil pointed out, he feels that another landmark change was in the early nighties when the travellers were thrown out and the "mainstream" arrived and he's probably right about that.

The great thing for me is that Michael Eavis set this whole thing up, stuck with it through good and bad and it looks to set to continue indefinitely.

If I were to have one moan about the modern day Glastonbury, it's all the rich tossers and the glamping. I reckon if you went back in time and tried to explain this was the future to any festival goer 1970-2000 they would be pretty disgusted at the thought.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

It used to be counterculture and today it is mentioned in the same sentence as Wimbledon and Glyndebourne.

If I were to have one moan about the modern day Glastonbury, it's all the rich tossers and the glamping.

I totally agree. I didn't go back when it was like the wild west but it's very different now to how it was in the late 90's. In the 90's festivals were generally attended by people who were into certain musical genres or lived a certain way of life, now everyone wants to go. Now all you see is people pretending to not be upset by the fact their chosen massive top 10, million selling acts aren't headlining, I don't think I even knew who was playing when I went in the 90's. Glastonbury has become too easy IMO.

Edited by Johnnyseven
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LeeHC said:

Not to me- to newbies. Offensive is maybe strong, but rude at least. 

Hello LeeHC,

I just don't understand how my post could be construed as rude to 'newbies'. It was certainly not my intention to be rude. You say that the word offensive may be strong, but rude more appropriate, yet you are offering me no information as to how it could be construed as such. I do not like to offend anyone.It really is not my MO. So, it would be good to know where I have gone wrong on this one, so could do with your help, if that's OK with you ie. can you explain a little more fully?

5 hours ago, LeeHC said:

Re-read what you wrote... Maybe different isn't worse- you say yourself you've given up on it so how can you even know how good it is now?

I know how it is now because I've seen how it is now ie. I didn't give up on Glastonbury 15 years ago. 

As I said to Clarkete - all I would wish is that today's Glastonbury goers could also have experienced what it was like before late night entertainment was laid on by GFL, and that then they could have had both experiences.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

@LeeHC. I'm going to come to Yogs defence here a bit. They started off by saying they wish everyone could experience both and I understand this, I'd love to be able to hop into a time machine and experience it again myself - and take a modern day newbie.

The comparison to it nowadays being as homogenous as a fair ground or Costa is a bit harsh but they are comparing it to a Glastonbury that was a great deal more like a chaotic wild west than the national cultural beacon it is today. It used to be counterculture and today it is mentioned in the same sentence as Wimbledon and Glyndebourne.

Also, the oft-repeated joke/comment that the festival isn't as good as it used to be probably started in 1971. As Neil pointed out, he feels that another landmark change was in the early nighties when the travellers were thrown out and the "mainstream" arrived and he's probably right about that.

The great thing for me is that Michael Eavis set this whole thing up, stuck with it through good and bad and it looks to set to continue indefinitely.

If I were to have one moan about the modern day Glastonbury, it's all the rich tossers and the glamping. I reckon if you went back in time and tried to explain this was the future to any festival goer 1970-2000 they would be pretty disgusted at the thought.

Thank you Glastoboy. 

As I have indicated, I have no desire to piss off newbies. Quite the contrary, as it's still the best festival on the block.

I used to love the late night stall parties, I remember being told that stalls had to shut at midnight but they could continue if they were a venue, cue loads of market stalls kicking all sorts right through the night, you could literally bounce from one party to the next until the sun came up... awesome!

Does anyone remember the Kodak soundstage in 2000? it kicked off 24/7 from Wednesday (or might have been Tuesday as we went in on Monday, hazy), I remember some geezer on the mic asking everyone to buy a disposable camera as he'd blagged Kodak to sponsor the stage for the weekend, it had a little camera stall below the elevated DJ booth and it was awesome; just around the corner from the R1 pyramid thing which was also pretty cool!