So what did late night entertainment consist of pre SE corner?

The other Bellboy

As someone who goes Glastonbury more for what happens after the main headliner than what happens during the day I find this a bit hard to understand.

After your main headliner you’re on top of the world ready to dance the night away or whatever you couldn’t stumble upon some music anywhere except outside one of the market stalls? 

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

As someone who goes Glastonbury more for what happens after the main headliner than what happens during the day I find this a bit hard to understand.

After your main headliner you’re on top of the world ready to dance the night away or whatever you couldn’t stumble upon some music anywhere except outside one of the market stalls? 

Forgive me, for I am a little stoned, but do have to ask - What are you finding hard to understand? I'm not making the connection. You then go on to mention music outside the market stalls. I used to think that stuff was the bollocks, and I'd go back there in a flash, if able. Although my dancing performance might have changed since the last time. I could dance then. Nowadays the only artillery I have in my possession on the dancing front is dad dancing, and there's no way I'm doing that in public. Only my closest friends get to see that. The reason for this is that I actually have a sense of decency. No untrained eye should ever stumble across such a sight. Well not without first donning incontinence pads. I reckon it's that funny that you would shit yourself laughing if you saw it.

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Not just the market stalls however they were a great place for it. Cut my drum and bass moves in the mud for hours one year. There was also stuff going on in the green fields and the drum circle in the stones went on all night.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

There were things but they were small scale and often impromptu. It was different times and people's expectations were different.

• Upvote 1

The Golden Moon Cafe in The Green Futures Field used to be a vibrant and kicking late night venue before the SE corner and LV existed. Particularly famous for the Monday night after party for crew. It used to be in the same spot as The Groovie Moovie Picture House although set back slightly.

Screech Rock, Tofu Love Fogs, Nik Turner, Tragic Roundabout etc were regular acts.

Even better was The Kazbar in the entrance to the  field below The Greenpeace Field. That was completely bonkers.

Good times.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

34 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

There were things but they were small scale and often impromptu. It was different times and people's expectations were different.

Was this not post 88/89 though people had seen raves and stuff by then. Did people not want a bit more? I personally only started going in 2013 I can’t picture Glastonbury without the S.E Corner and all the other places at night whacking tunes out. 

Fair enough people are on a different buzz some might wanna go to a drum circle or a cinema and that’s what makes Glastonbury so great the diversity but I’d have assumed there was a big demand for dance music at night.

Just now, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Was this not post 88/89 though people had seen raves and stuff by then. 

Wasn't on in '88 and I can't remember any rave rigs in '89. '89 I was in the travellers' field just outside gate 3 (now CV east) and there certainly wasn't any rave there then. If it had been anywhere it would have been there. Wango Riley's was the biggest illegal venue there that year. 

1990 biggest area of travellers was in Undleground and east of there.That's where I was parked up and again I can't remember any rave rigs. 

Wasn't on in '91after the riot of '90 and '92 was the first year of a massive crackdown on travellers and illegal entrants in big vehicles. We were in T&C and saw no raving at all. Was a rather beige year.

'95 was, I think, the first year that raving really happened.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Wasn't on in '88 and I can't remember any rave rigs in '89. '89 I was in the travellers' field just outside gate 3 (now CV east) and there certainly wasn't any rave there then. If it had been anywhere it would have been there. Wango Riley's was the biggest illegal venue there that year. 

1990 biggest area of travellers was in Undleground and east of there.That's where I was parked up and again I can't remember any rave rigs. 

Wasn't on in '91after the riot of '90 and '92 was the first year of a massive crackdown on travellers and illegal entrants in big vehicles. We were in T&C and saw no raving at all. Was a rather beige year.

'95 was, I think, the first year that raving really happened.

Thanks for the reply. I meant that there were raves happening elsewhere in the country so did people not expect them at Glastonbury especially with the traveller link and stuff? 

I had always incorrectly assumed you had some raves going on at Glastonbury on the outskirts until the criminal justice bill. 

Whenever I’ve spoke to family who went in early/mid 80’s dance music wasn’t on their radar and it sounded a completely different place. One of them told me about a horse and cart that used to go around picking up people who were too wrecked to walk is this true?

3 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

. One of them told me about a horse and cart that used to go around picking up people who were too wrecked to walk is this true?

Haha, back in the day there were alsorts of animals on site . Plenty of horsedrawn folk that offered taxi services with their horse and carts and one I remember that had an enormous wooden barrel of cider that was a mobile bar. There used to be packs of dogs, posses of chickens and squadrons of geese. One chap from Totnes used to turn up with a cart hauled by some weird sacred cow type beasts from India. Different times :)

Oh, not to mention the snakes. 

Earliest picture of me at Glastonbury. Taken in '86 by a chap with a snake. One quid for a Polaroid pic taken with his snake. Or should I say taken with his polaroid camera with the snake as as a prop,well you know what I mean.I was about two hours into a pint of mushroom tea when this was taken.

God  I look young. 

a snake pikton 86.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Was this not post 88/89 though people had seen raves and stuff by then. Did people not want a bit more? I personally only started going in 2013 I can’t picture Glastonbury without the S.E Corner and all the other places at night whacking tunes out. 

Fair enough people are on a different buzz some might wanna go to a drum circle or a cinema and that’s what makes Glastonbury so great the diversity but I’d have assumed there was a big demand for dance music at night.

There wasn't a big demand for anything at Glastonbury then. We genuinely liked making our own entertainment, it was only £45 for a ticket and a lot of people got in for free. I also reckon there was a lot more LSD and mushrooms being taken in those days.

It took the dance scene a while to get a foothold at the festival in the 90s. It was mainly bands. But some of the camp parties would be dance music from 80s ghetto blasters - but batteries have always been expensive so Sunday nights were quieter.

1 minute ago, Glastoboy said:

There wasn't a big demand for anything at Glastonbury then. We genuinely liked making our own entertainment, it was only £45 for a ticket and a lot of people got in for free. I also reckon there was a lot more LSD and mushrooms being taken in those days.

Yep, a good tab or a handfull of mushrooms and the world was your entertainment :D

40 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

It took the dance scene a while to get a foothold at the festival in the 90s. It was mainly bands. But some of the camp parties would be dance music from 80s ghetto blasters - but batteries have always been expensive so Sunday nights were quieter.

Amen to that, brother.

47 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Oh, not to mention the snakes. 

Earliest picture of me at Glastonbury. Taken in '86 by a chap with a snake. One quid for a Polaroid pic taken with his snake. Or should I say taken with his polaroid camera with the snake as as a prop,well you know what I mean.I was about two hours into a pint of mushroom tea when this was taken.

God  I look young. 

a snake pikton 86.jpg

FFS. Two hours in to a pint of mushroom tea, and you are actually smiling knowing the fact that somebody has just wrapped a snake around you? Mental. Unless you thought it was a feathered boa, darling! Whose to know what was going through your mind at that time? Just wondering, was the lady on your left on mushrooms too, at the time? 

3 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Thanks for the reply. I meant that there were raves happening elsewhere in the country so did people not expect them at Glastonbury especially with the traveller link and stuff? 

I had always incorrectly assumed you had some raves going on at Glastonbury on the outskirts until the criminal justice bill. 

Whenever I’ve spoke to family who went in early/mid 80’s dance music wasn’t on their radar and it sounded a completely different place. One of them told me about a horse and cart that used to go around picking up people who were too wrecked to walk is this true?

Yeah there’s essentially a whole second festival of late night stuff that has developed over the past 15 years.

One thing worth noting is the headliners finished a bit later. Not massively so but it was more like 1am than 11/midnight. Which does create a subtle difference. 

(Also I may be barking up the wrong tree with this but although rave culture was a thing in the 90s, club culture was newer and pre 24-hour licensing, was going out dancing until 4/5am or such even a thing? Outside of unlicensed stuff?)

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah there’s essentially a whole second festival of late night stuff that has developed over the past 15 years.

One thing worth noting is the headliners finished a bit later. Not massively so but it was more like 1am than 11/midnight. Which does create a subtle difference. 

(Also I may be barking up the wrong tree with this but although rave culture was a thing in the 90s, club culture was newer and pre 24-hour licensing, was going out dancing until 4/5am or such even a thing? Outside of unlicensed stuff?)

There was loads of late night raving going on in legal venues all over London in the early 90’s, Glastonbury just wasn’t on anyone’s rave radar, there was too many other great events to attend. 

Charm x

37 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not sure about rave / dance, but there was a club in Birmingham well before those genres (and well before 24 hour licencing) that used to hold two events in one night. It was called the Locarno. It used to run a normal disco serving alcohol until about 1am. Then the people were thrown out. As they were leaving they'd see another queue forming to enter the building. These were the Northern Soul lads and lasses. The club was able to refill itself with these people and charge them the usual entrance fee, but only served soft drinks, because of the then licensing laws. Apparently they were all well bevvied up beforehand, and were on shed loads of speed. They'd then dance their little cottons off for a few hours. The club would then throw the Northern Soul crew out at about 7am in the morning. So, the club had it well good.

17 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Not sure about rave / dance, but there was a club in Birmingham well before those genres (and well before 24 hour licencing) that used to hold two events in one night. It was called the Locarno. It used to run a normal disco serving alcohol until about 1am. Then the people were thrown out. As they were leaving they'd see another queue forming to enter the building. These were the Northern Soul lads and lasses. The club was able to refill itself with these people and charge them the usual entrance fee, but only served soft drinks, because of the then licensing laws. Apparently they were all well bevvied up beforehand, and were on shed loads of speed. They'd then dance their little cottons off for a few hours. The club would then throw the Northern Soul crew out at about 7am in the morning. So, the club had it well good.

There was a bar in Liverpool called the "Sunrise" which only opened at a weekend. It only served water and 'room aroma' (rush). Always packed out as, was literally, the only place open past 3am. 

15 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

There was a bar in Liverpool called the "Sunrise" which only opened at a weekend. It only served water and 'room aroma' (rush). Always packed out as, was literally, the only place open past 3am. 

Oh, I'd forgotten all about 'room aroma'. Yes, I think that was a big thing at the Locarno (the club in B'ham) too. I hate that stuff, but have, historically, never been able to say no to it, when it has been proffered. 

My Mam and Dad met on the Northern scene, there has been a club culture of dancing all night since the late 60’s. There were probably people dancing to Jazz until the early morning before that somewhere.

Thanks for filling in a Glastonbury gap for me everyone I had assumed incorrectly dance music had kicked off here a lot earlier than it had.

You just paced yourself differently. It was all about the wine bar back then, though I couldn't really be bothered to stay up all night listening to Queen. I just used to go to bed about 1am and see more bands in the daytime instead. Was actually possible to get through a whole festival class A-free in the mid mid-noughties (I managed it a few times).

Seems slightly paradoxical that 15 years later I'm sometimes staying up until shutdown at 5am/6am, but there's plenty more on offer now entertainment-wise.

Edited by Homer

I used to love the random stuff... Would spend hours in the Groovy Movie, the beach, Techno Tribe tent, stone circle, and random other tents... Also the random banter around strangers, soon to be friends camp fires...  The randomness I feel was better, instead of programming your late night ?

Up until the cinema field became a cinema tent (I know it was some sort of licencing restriction, but a loss in my book) I used to head there and watch films till the sun came up. Some epic times - watching the Goonies with a friend who had never heard of it let alone seen it, and the crowd participation going wild :D

Watching Human Traffic a few months before it came out too, there always seemed to be at least one exclusive premier each year.

But the best part was people wandering in late trying to find their friends, which inevitably turned into the predicatble Spartacus gag.

lost person: "Dave?"

A Dave: "I'm over here!"

Everyone else: "No, I'm over here!" and so on

lost person: "you're all twats"

good times.

• Upvote 1