Worthy view

NI6789

Hi,

I'll be going to Glastonbury this summer for the very first time. Travelling from Ireland so will most likely fly into Bristol airport.

We have got a 2 man scout tent in Worthy View so don't need to worry about bringing tents. 

Can anyone advise what would be my best way to get to worthy view from Bristol airport? I've looked at the national express coaches and then getting the shuttle but would it be better to hire a car and drive?

Thanks in advance! I have no idea what to expect so any advice is helpful! :)

1 hour ago, NI6789 said:

Hi,

I'll be going to Glastonbury this summer for the very first time. Travelling from Ireland so will most likely fly into Bristol airport.

We have got a 2 man scout tent in Worthy View so don't need to worry about bringing tents. 

Can anyone advise what would be my best way to get to worthy view from Bristol airport? I've looked at the national express coaches and then getting the shuttle but would it be better to hire a car and drive?

Thanks in advance! I have no idea what to expect so any advice is helpful! :)

It depends really what you want and when you are intending on arriving or leaving. Numbers will dictate whether it is also more expensive. Of course it won't be as green. I love having a drink on the bus as the excitement kicks in hard. Whereas driving in traffic, potentially for hours on end is a good way to kill your buzz. 

If you hire a car then you can load up at a supermarket\ off licence, with the convenience of picking up the car at the airport without trying to transfer to a bus or train station. The worthy view car park is open, I think , from Tuesday night. Also the car park is relatively close to the tents and access is a  lot easier than the main car parks. Just don’t miss the signs! WV car passes are on sale. 

10 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

If you hire a car then you can load up at a supermarket\ off licence, with the convenience of picking up the car at the airport without trying to transfer to a bus or train station. The worthy view car park is open, I think , from Tuesday night. Also the car park is relatively close to the tents and access is a  lot easier than the main car parks. Just don’t miss the signs! WV car passes are on sale. 

That said sometimes car hire is more expensive at airports so picking a car up at another location can be cheaper.

If you do go down the hire route then use something like holiday autos as they offer some good rates but don't necessarily go with the cheapest as there are some really awful companies out there- make sure you google the hire company 1st to get reviews etc. from Trip Advisor and the like

If you are staying at Worthy View, don't you have to go to them to get your wristband as it's an easy pass-out rather than a standard one?

Buses to site will drop you at VG5 / PGA, which is a long long way from the Worthy View gate, and if you can't exchange your ticket at PGA, it's even further round the edge of the site.  I'd give them an email and check on this, as this could be a complete bastard if you end up in the wrong place.

4 hours ago, dondo said:

That said sometimes car hire is more expensive at airports so picking a car up at another location can be cheaper.

If you do go down the hire route then use something like holiday autos as they offer some good rates but don't necessarily go with the cheapest as there are some really awful companies out there- make sure you google the hire company 1st to get reviews etc. from Trip Advisor and the like

Just a note - Places like Holiday Autos and such often do not rent to non-UK resident or have surcharges. I don't remember the exact technicalities, but those companies do not provide liability insurance, you're expected to use your own or something like that. This is a non-starter for those who don't carry UK car insurance. Basically, if the rate quoted is much cheaper than Avis, Hertz, etc., then either expect surcharges or outright refusal.

4 hours ago, jfaragher said:

If you are staying at Worthy View, don't you have to go to them to get your wristband as it's an easy pass-out rather than a standard one?

Buses to site will drop you at VG5 / PGA, which is a long long way from the Worthy View gate, and if you can't exchange your ticket at PGA, it's even further round the edge of the site.  I'd give them an email and check on this, as this could be a complete bastard if you end up in the wrong place.

You get dropped off at PGA, enter as a normal person, then you trek across the site, get to WW, give up your normal person bracelet, get the WW bracelet and EPO and become a worthy person.

There's also a shuttle that goes to WW but I wouldn't rely on it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, herzzreh said:

Just a note - Places like Holiday Autos and such often do not rent to non-UK resident or have surcharges. I don't remember the exact technicalities, but those companies do not provide liability insurance, you're expected to use your own or something like that. This is a non-starter for those who don't carry UK car insurance. Basically, if the rate quoted is much cheaper than Avis, Hertz, etc., then either expect surcharges or outright refusal.

Good point but I'm sure I have seen on TripAdvisor and the like some similar that there are similar sites for outside the UK 

might be cheaper and less hassle to get an uber/taxi to be honest. the flight over will be full of Glasto-goers and I'm sure another few would be on for getting one too and splitting the costs. get the taxi to stop off at a supermarket on the way to pick up your booze.

some info on boards too:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057831526&page=17

there's pretty much no queues coming out of the car park in Worthy View though, so if you rent a car, you should be out pretty quick on the Monday.

Edited by ghostdancer1

Thanks everyone for your suggestions ?

There will only be 2 of us travelling together. Renting a car and driving would be the handiest option probably. Only thing is that I really hate driving & try to do it the least i can so not sure if it's a good idea lol what's the drive like to the site does anyone know? When's the busiest and quietest time to arrive and leave?

Yep we just have the tent at worthy view, so still need to bring sleeping bags, pillows etc which is another reason why the car would be handier to store things in as the car park is handy enough to the WV site. I'm looking forward to trying out all the food and drink at the site so don't think we will be taking many snacks and drinks with us. This is our summer holiday this year so we will bring enough spending money to enjoy ourselves.

Thanks ?

On 3/7/2019 at 10:24 AM, NI6789 said:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions ?

There will only be 2 of us travelling together. Renting a car and driving would be the handiest option probably. Only thing is that I really hate driving & try to do it the least i can so not sure if it's a good idea lol what's the drive like to the site does anyone know? When's the busiest and quietest time to arrive and leave?

Yep we just have the tent at worthy view, so still need to bring sleeping bags, pillows etc which is another reason why the car would be handier to store things in as the car park is handy enough to the WV site. I'm looking forward to trying out all the food and drink at the site so don't think we will be taking many snacks and drinks with us. This is our summer holiday this year so we will bring enough spending money to enjoy ourselves.

Thanks ?

Once you're off the main roads (A37 or A361) it's quiet, with little or no queue to get into the WV car park whatever time of day you arrive. there's no competition for a pitch, so people's arrival times are staggered. Been staying at WV every year since 2014 and have had no issues, even in 2016. If you get a taxi or bus from Bristol airport, they'll have to drop you off at the Bath & West Show ground, where you'll get a shuttle bus to WV. Walking from Pedestrian Gate A to WV is NOT recommended. Unless you're SAS trained, you'll be half dead by the time you get to your tent, lugging all your stuff over 3 miles and up Mount Kilimanjaro aka Pennard Hill! My suggestion would be buy a WV car park pass and hire a car. Safe trip :-) xx

3 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Once you're off the main roads (A37 or A361) it's quiet, with little or no queue to get into the WV car park whatever time of day you arrive. there's no competition for a pitch, so people's arrival times are staggered. Been staying at WV every year since 2014 and have had no issues, even in 2016. If you get a taxi or bus from Bristol airport, they'll have to drop you off at the Bath & West Show ground, where you'll get a shuttle bus to WV. Walking from Pedestrian Gate A to WV is NOT recommended. Unless you're SAS trained, you'll be half dead by the time you get to your tent, lugging all your stuff over 3 miles and up Mount Kilimanjaro aka Pennard Hill! My suggestion would be buy a WV car park pass and hire a car. Safe trip :-) xx

Agree with that, also easy access to car park from WV means keeping dry clothes etc in car. Just don’t miss the cut off to WV from main road! 

I'm considering just getting the national express coach from bristol airport to the festival - don't need to worry about navigating or hire cars etc and can enjoy my sunday without having to keep an eye on how much I drink as I won't be driving.

Does anyone know if I landed about 7.40am (ryanair flight so most likely not on time as usual! ?) - would I have plenty of time to get the 9am national express coach?

Thanks!

*this was based on google so take the results with a pinch of salt*

It looks like it's a 30 minute journey (45 by public transport) from Bristol airport to the coach station so it's technically possible if you land on time, clear baggage / customs quickly, immediately grab a taxi and don't get held up with traffic.

I did a quick check and an Uber from the airport to Glastonbury would cost from £36, however I would imagine that they would have surge pricing in effect around that time so I would imagine the fare would be (considerably) higher.  Though as @ghostdancer1 said, if you can find another couple of people to get an uber with you, it could work out cost effective to do so.  It doesn't really help with getting back on the monday but that's a problem for a different day.

3 hours ago, NI6789 said:

I'm considering just getting the national express coach from bristol airport to the festival - don't need to worry about navigating or hire cars etc and can enjoy my sunday without having to keep an eye on how much I drink as I won't be driving.

Does anyone know if I landed about 7.40am (ryanair flight so most likely not on time as usual! ?) - would I have plenty of time to get the 9am national express coach?

Thanks!

Bristol is not a big airport so depending on where the coach is you should be ok. Any delays might make that a bit tight though. Coach sounds like a good option if you really do not fancy driving, not much point getting really stressed

Enjoy Glastonbury though :) It'll blow your mind :)

On 3/12/2019 at 1:06 PM, NI6789 said:

Thanks!

My experience is that Bristol Airport will take 45 mins at least from landing to taxi, potentially have to get on a bus to the terminal, clear immigration and baggage etc. Risky I reckon.