Capacity Increase Confirmed

4519dennis

I'm stunned that for 7,000 punters, it increases by 35K more 'non-customers'. I remember having a convo with someone last year about how it was seemingly becoming a festival where half of those there were staff etc and it was in danger of becoming a festival 'for itself' rather than the wider ticket paying public . Don't believe its quite that bad tbh, but does anyone see what I mean with a ratio like that?

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

I'm stunned that for 7,000 punters, it increases by 35K more 'non-customers'. I remember having a convo with someone last year about how it was seemingly becoming a festival where half of those there were staff etc and it was in danger of becoming a festival 'for itself' rather than the wider ticket paying public . Don't believe its quite that bad tbh, but does anyone see what I mean with a ratio like that?

When the increase was announced, one of the major justifications given was that it wouldn't lead to a significant increase in the number of people on site for two reasons:

- That they weren't intending on using all of the extra numbers, it was just to cover them in case it was needed down the line, for example if they needed to step up security at short notice as happened in 2017.

- That it would mean they didn't need to double (or more) up on tickets anymore - so for example an artist playing Friday would count as one person for the purpose of the licence, then when they left the site and a Saturday artist arrived then they'd take their place. The increase was supposed to allow it to be 1 ticket = 1 person on site without having to factor in when they arrived / left.

I can't say that I fully buy into those reasons in their entirety, but there's probably some element of truth there.

I'm stunned that for 7,000 punters, it increases by 35K more 'non-customers'.

they're not directly related.

The 35,000 more 'staff' was agreed a number of years ago, but has been increased bit by bit as the years passed.

The extra 7,000 punters is a new thing, but where I reckon any extra staff needed for them could come out of that extra 35,000.

The 35,000 increase was done on a "we'd like to have this much available" basis rather than a "we need every last one of these" basis. 

I remember having a convo with someone last year about how it was seemingly becoming a festival where half of those there were staff etc and it was in danger of becoming a festival 'for itself' rather than the wider ticket paying public . Don't believe its quite that bad tbh, but does anyone see what I mean with a ratio like that?

the staff/punter ratio prior to 2002 was probably bigger then than it is now. Staff got trimmed so much that many aspects & areas were complaining they didn't have enough staff or guest passes for performers, or whatever.

As an example of how tight things were being run, a stage manager got sacked in around 2004 after he booked a band with lots of members and hoped the booking would secure him the extra passes he needed for them.

35 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Do you think it impacted in any way on how any of the areas were run and what they were capable of putting on during the festival?

There's the example I gave above, of a stage manager getting sacked for exceeding his passes. I don't know any other stories, but I'd guess the tight numbers for artists/guests/staff impacted onto most areas in some way at some point.

A lot of what got lost were non-working blaggers, but it wasn't only them.