Capacity Increase Confirmed

4519dennis

2020 being 50th anniversary may generate more demand of course. Interesting that reason given for greater capacity was need to keep ticket price down - obviously sensitive to criticism from some quarters regarding ticket price going up every year. Suppose you won't notice another 7,000  watching a headliner on Pyramid or will it make a bad situation worse? 

24 minutes ago, Grey_Area said:

It’s hopefully a sign of more areas being added - honestly it’s pretty horrendously crowded in most areas on the Friday and Saturday. 

I only find the SE corner to be badly over crowded... to the point where a lot of the time you just dont even bother trying to get down there. 

To be honest, the only time I've ever bothered with the SE corner is when I've gone before the end of the headliner.  

I think I've tried a couple of other times, but can never be doing with wasting time queuing for hours.  I may have just settled for the Sensation Seekers Stage or something else nearby.  

Wheel of Four tunes is better than anything in the SE corner anyway. Is what I tell myself.

3 minutes ago, uscore said:

To be honest, the only time I've ever bothered with the SE corner is when I've gone before the end of the headliner.  

I think I've tried a couple of other times, but can never be doing with wasting time queuing for hours.  I may have just settled for the Sensation Seekers Stage or something else nearby.  

Wheel of Four tunes is better than anything in the SE corner anyway. Is what I tell myself.

If that's how you feel then there is nothing for you in the SEC. Move along please. Nothing to see here...

;)

Ben

12 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

The whole site is too over crowded, there will be an accident related to crowds. I’ve been in a couple of situations at Glastonbury where I have felt it was unsafe and have been concerned for my and others safety. 

Lets hope they plan to make it bigger rather than just cram in more punters. 

Yeah to be honest there is too many at times now 

It's not just the 7000 punters walking around the site, I'd be interested to know where they would squeeze in at least 2000 more tents? All I can think is that they've acquired more space for 2020. Does anyone know if that is even possible?

I suppose they've needed to apply for approval well in advance due to the logistics and planning involved?

Areas that can't necessarily be modified though, bottlenecks like the entrances/exits to the Pyramid, certain parts of the railway line and the south east corner could do with alleviating traffic rather than adding to it. Interesting. 

As always though, let's not panic, they're pretty decent at organising the odd event now and again.

25 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

The whole site is too over crowded, there will be an accident related to crowds. I’ve been in a couple of situations at Glastonbury where I have felt it was unsafe and have been concerned for my and others safety. 

I think the last time I really felt that was one of the years before the fence up, that was a bit mental.  Mostly I've found it OK since then, but don't tend to do much at SE corner partially as by then I don't have that much patience to queue.

Will be interesting to see what they do this year with other distractions after hours.

It’s Thursday that’s the problem, I feel. The vast majority of people on site, but nothing on the big open spaces of the Pyramid and Other to attract them. That long drag from Williams Green up to the railway line and then the stone circle always seemed unbearably rammed. Unpleasantly so. It’s much better on the Friday when huge numbers are then drawn away to the main stages. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ticketboy69 said:

Yep, the muddy year 2016(?) I remember being genuinely scared bottom of pennards coming off the railway line. People started falling and it took people screaming at people to stop to avert disaster. I should have wrote to the festival highlighting this incident but never did! 

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's not just the 7000 punters walking around the site, I'd be interested to know where they would squeeze in at least 2000 more tents? All I can think is that they've acquired more space for 2020. Does anyone know if that is even possible?

I suppose they've needed to apply for approval well in advance due to the logistics and planning involved?

Areas that can't necessarily be modified though, bottlenecks like the entrances/exits to the Pyramid, certain parts of the railway line and the south east corner could do with alleviating traffic rather than adding to it. Interesting. 

As always though, let's not panic, they're pretty decent at organising the odd event now and again.

They kicked out Camplight so that might help a bit. Restructuring some of the crew camping would help too I reckon.

An extra 7000 is what, a 5% increase ish? If they can make certain areas like the SEC bigger then maybe it'll be ok but I wouldn't really like to see it. The festival feels awfully crowded at times, more so than any other festival I've attended. Especially on the railway line. The festival are saying that this is to avoid a ticket price increase which seems strange to me. It's one of the most in demand in events in the world and would likely sell out ten times over so why don't they just increase the ticket price? From their POV it seems like the better option.

Even if the increase in numbers makes it more likely to obtain a ticket, it still fills me with dread. I’m less tolerant of the rammed areas than I used to be, unless they successfully develop a better crowd dispersal system I can see there will be a good proportion of the site I’ll actively avoid. 

Frankly, if it’s about keeping prices down, I’d rather pay more.