All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

4 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

Another festival that's forgotten women exist.

The festivals are massively to blame but I think it’s also just the industry itself and not just the festivals. Unfortunately most of the popular female artists seemingly have to be a specific genre to be popular (think Lovebox kind of acts). 
It seems to me that it has become increasingly difficult for alternative/indie female bands and artists to do well in the industry. 

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

2 women headliners in 3 years. Optics don't look good.

I'd say the undercards are the strongest part of APE. A blend of commercially popular and good quality.

I'm not knocking the quality of the acts they book but they often do not have mass appeal This is why I think so many fail to sell out and some actually sell rather poorly. If the lineups were commercially popular they would not be giving out free tickets.

Just now, Dales said:

I'm not knocking the quality of the acts they book but they often do not have mass appeal This is why I think so many fail to sell out and some actually sell rather poorly. If the lineups were commercially popular they would not be giving out free tickets.

The distinction I'm making is about the undercard.

I think the headliners aren't commercially popular enough to sell a 40,000 venue.

But the undercard are more commercially popular than you would expect for an event this size. Hot Chip, Primal Scream and Jon Hopkins subbing on one day last year for example.

It's much better than BST Hyde Park for example.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

The distinction I'm making is about the undercard.

I think the headliners aren't commercially popular enough to sell a 40,000 venue.

But the undercard are more commercially popular than you would expect for an event this size. Hot Chip, Primal Scream and Jon Hopkins subbing on one day last year for example.

It's much better than BST Hyde Park for example.

In every day they booked in fairness last year I think Architects for example, there was a lot more hype around them than the actual headliner (BMTH).

1 minute ago, Balls said:

Oh god yeah that Thom crowd is gonna be unbearable isn't it. Even at the front like, it's not like there are a lot of die hard fans of Thom Yorke's solo material out there. 

I'm going to bring some earplugs to drown them out. Hmm, I haven't really thought this through...

On 2/28/2020 at 12:31 PM, theesundayroast said:

I think almost everyone who wants to see them surely will have by now (or already attending a festival they're playing). I think it will be a tough one to shift as even I am a big fan am fairly reluctant to pay that price. the solid undercard is making me consider it though.

True tbf, I've seen them twice since they came back from hiatus, almost a third but saw Foals for Brits week instead of Bombay again. I have a truck ticket, and most of the undercard for ape I've seen or will be seeing at Truck. Funnily enough I'd go just to see Loyle Carner as thats the only one I've not seen, so unless theirs cheap or free tickets I won't be going and I'm one of their biggest fans. 

37 minutes ago, Balls said:

That's a very odd booking. Both for the festival and for Thom who has really never done slots like this as a solo act. Still, I'll keep the day free long as there's a decent lineup with him. 

Not really that odd. Thom did some festivals last year as a headliner already albeit smaller ones. He is billed high at Coachella this year  and APE is promoted by AEG/Goldenvoice, so its a package deal to book both festivals for some acts. 

18 minutes ago, wackamole said:

True tbf, I've seen them twice since they came back from hiatus, almost a third but saw Foals for Brits week instead of Bombay again. I have a truck ticket, and most of the undercard for ape I've seen or will be seeing at Truck. Funnily enough I'd go just to see Loyle Carner as thats the only one I've not seen, so unless theirs cheap or free tickets I won't be going and I'm one of their biggest fans. 

Same boat as me. Loyle Carner is the main attraction pulling me towards it. I managed to catch him at Latitude although was gutted to miss out on his Cambridge show and so would love to see him again.

• Upvote 1