All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

Can’t say I was at all expecting him but a pleasant surprise regardless and more in line with the direction the festival seemed to be taking in its first year. Not sure how much of a big ticket shifter he’ll be, but with a good undercard (which I’m sure he’ll have) I’m sure it’ll do pretty well. 

Where the fuck are Biffy at this summer?!

1 minute ago, Glenn Coco said:

I’d call that 5 great days. 4 great headliners.. and the ticket price/undercard for the BBC day makes that day worth it.

Fair enough actually and obviously all the days will get better.

There was some really good stuff at Jagerhaus last year.

4 minutes ago, daviddaviddaviddavid said:

Wonder if the two dates at Hammersmith Apollo will prevent sales though? Surprising as both dates will be after the festival appearance 

I have tickets for one of the nights, I think they sold out instantly.

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

We’ll see. Can imagine Thom Yorke is a big draw in a city like London. I’m curious about his day programme.

Would have thought those who were desperate to see him would have got tickets to see him at either of his Hammersmith shows. 

Depends on the undercard I guess. Just don't think it's a particularly big draw, albeit a good headliner.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Couldn't have a more ideal combination for me than good headliner, not a big draw. More space to move and can get closer to the stage. Some days have been a real crush for the headliner.

Strokes was a nightmare for this. Had to move out after the first two songs, wasn't even enjoyable.

1 minute ago, Balls said:

That's a very odd booking. Both for the festival and for Thom who has really never done slots like this as a solo act. Still, I'll keep the day free long as there's a decent lineup with him. 

He subbed Liam Gallagher (I feel nauseous writing these words) at BBK last year so I guess he's up for most things.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

Echoing others, I'm disappointed they didn't get any female headliners. I'm genuinely surprised they didn't get Lana for this considering it fit perfectly in with her festival schedule.

Thom is a good name and will shift tickets but doubt it will be totally packed.

I wouldn't be surprised if she pulled out for any number of reasons and BBC replaced her. Given the pressure from elsewhere, they surely would have had at least one female artist on their original list of booked names.

Oddly, once I got over the shock of The Kooks headlining the more I look at that day the better it looks. I can't go as going to GNR but I bet if you showed the full APE program to most people they would recognise the likes of Tom Walker, Jake Bugg & Gabielle Aplin. I think the average concert goer would find more they like on the Kooks/Wombats day then any of the others. If they went to see Thom they would want and expect him to play Creep.

I'm excited by Thom and love him and Radiohead but i'm in a quandary about what to do. If it was Radiohead, then I would get ready for pre-sales but its not its his solo stuff. A quick setlist check would show most Radiohead fans that all you might get is one of two obscure Radiohead album tracks. So as great as the mighty Thom is, he may well be the least commercial out of the headliners. So do I wait to see if there are deals? Bearing in mind, I often manage to pick up tickets on Twickets for sold out events and if they don't sell out I can buy last minute tickets.

The above sums up APE's problem, even people who love the headliners stall about buying in case a deal comes along. I only have Kwarftwerk tickets because my partner jumped the gun and bought them because she knows I love Iggy/The Smiths and like Kwarftwerk.

Should a strong commercial under card be announced for Thom then I may buy early but as good as the APE undercards tend to be they rarely have mass appeal.

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Couldn't have a more ideal combination for me than good headliner, not a big draw. More space to move and can get closer to the stage. Some days have been a real crush for the headliner.

It means the crowd will be riddled with chatters 

5 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

Another festival that's forgotten women exist.

2 women headliners in 3 years. Optics don't look good.

2 minutes ago, Dales said:

Oddly, once I got over the shock of The Kooks headlining the more I look at that day the better it looks. I can't go as going to GNR but I bet if you showed the full APE program to most people they would recognise the likes of Tom Walker, Jake Bugg & Gabielle Aplin. I think the average concert goer would find more they like on the Kooks/Wombats day then any of the others. If they went to see Thom they would want and expect him to play Creep.

I'm excited by Thom and love him and Radiohead but i'm in a quandary about what to do. If it was Radiohead, then I would get ready for pre-sales but its not its his solo stuff. A quick setlist check would show most Radiohead fans that all you might get is one of two obscure Radiohead album tracks. So as great as the mighty Thom is, he may well be the least commercial out of the headliners. So do I wait to see if there are deals? Bearing in mind, I often manage to pick up tickets on Twickets for sold out events and if they don't sell out I can buy last minute tickets.

The above sums up APE's problem, even people who love the headliners stall about buying in case a deal comes along. I only have Kwarftwerk tickets because my partner jumped the gun and bought them because she knows I love Iggy/The Smiths and like Kwarftwerk.

Should a strong commercial under card be announced for Thom then I may buy early but as good as the APE undercards tend to be they rarely have mass appeal.

I'd say the undercards are the strongest part of APE. A blend of commercially popular and good quality.