All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

4 minutes ago, Guy Honeymoon said:

I can't believe it's only 12 weeks away and they still have 2 whole days to announce. Do you think this year will be the last year they do it? 

"AEG Presents increased UK revenues by 81% year-on-year in 2018 to £141 million. However, the company’s event margin was impacted by a lower profit participation on certain tours and losses arising from investment in new business. According to documents lodged at Companies House, the promoter went from a small profit of £153,865 in 2017 to an operating loss of £1.37m last year."

A big business, I think they will continue to persist with it and they have the license with the council.

1 hour ago, y0ungtitan said:

+Biffy, +Royal Blood, would've thought Four Tet is a bit too small to headline

I respectfully disagree. He headlined Green Man last year, with one of the biggest crowds of the weekend. And sold out ally pally....

Edited by retromoz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Why? She plays a lot of No Doubt stuff & a lot of people were set on Lana being one of the headliners, I don't see why Gwen would be that different... 

Because she is more of an arena type, is more 'commercial' and less respected presumably by the hip sort of crowd that goes to APE.

Lana Del Rey had an album last year that was routinely in the top of critic album lists. Gwen Stefani possibly never did.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Because she is more of an arena type, is more 'commercial' and less respected presumably by the hip sort of crowd that goes to APE.

Lana Del Rey had an album last year that was routinely in the top of critic album lists. Gwen Stefani possibly never did.

Oh, I must have missed the part where the Kooks, The Wombats & Catfish & the Bottlemen became so 'hip' & respected. What does that even mean anyway? do you really think the Kooks & Kraftwerk share much of a fan base? It's a per day event, they don't even sell weekend tickets. 

Also, Tragic Kingdom made Rolling Stones top 500 albums of all time list. Love. Angel. Music. Baby was a 5 time Grammy nominated album & topped a lot of critics lists. 

• Upvote 1

Oh, I must have missed the part where the Kooks, The Wombats & Catfish & the Bottlemen became so 'hip' & respected. What does that even mean anyway? do you really think the Kooks & Kraftwerk share much of a fan base? It's a per day event, they don't even sell weekend tickets. 

Also, Tragic Kingdom made Rolling Stones top 500 albums of all time list. Love. Angel. Music. Baby was a 5 time Grammy nominated album & topped a lot of critics lists. 

Nah not a single Gwen Stefani/No Doubt album is critically acclaimed in the way Lana Del Rey is. At least not in the UK. In the US commercial and critically acclaimed seem more in tandem. Stuff like Mumford and Sons wins Grammys.

Agree with all your other points though. Fair comment on those other bands in particular - definitely not hip.

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Nah not a single Gwen Stefani/No Doubt album is critically acclaimed in the way Lana Del Rey is. 

Bullshit. Are you confusing critically acclaimed with your own personal opinion? Just because something is commercial doesn't mean it can't be critically acclaimed.

Edit. Anyway, back on topic it likely isn't going to be her anyway. But the list of possibles seems to grow ever shorter & she'd be a more interesting booking than the Kooks. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
  • Upvote 1

Bullshit. Are you confusing critically acclaimed with your own personal opinion? Just because something is commercial doesn't mean it can't be critically acclaimed.

Edit. Anyway, back on topic it likely isn't going to be her anyway. But the list of possibles seems to grow ever shorter & she'd be a more interesting booking than the Kooks. 

Respectfully, your bullshit is bullshit. And I am not suggesting commercial success and critical acclaim are mutually exclusive.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/love-angel-music-baby/gwen-stefani (score of 71 and subsequent albums have been even lower)

https://www.metacritic.com/music/norman-fucking-rockwell!/lana-del-rey (score of 87 and routinely near the top of critics end of year best album lists)

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Respectfully, your bullshit is bullshit. And I am not suggesting commercial success and critical acclaim are mutually exclusive.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/love-angel-music-baby/gwen-stefani (score of 71 and subsequent albums have been even lower)

https://www.metacritic.com/music/norman-fucking-rockwell!/lana-del-rey (score of 87 and routinely near the top of critics end of year best album lists)

Oh well done you can use metacritic. Notice Tragic Kingdom isn't on there...

Let me know when Lana has an album on the Rolling Stone's top 500 of all time or makes the top 500 of the Colin Larkin's greatest 1000 albums of all time.  

Oh well done you can use metacritic. Notice Tragic Kingdom isn't on there...

Let me know when Lana has an album on the Rolling Stone's top 500 of all time or makes the top 500 of the Colin Larkin's greatest 1000 albums of all time.  

OK, well if the Godlike Colin Larkin likes it then that changes everything.

No Doubt aren't being proposed as playing, only GS is. And as she only plays 3 songs from it on her 23 song setlists, an album by No Doubt didn't seem that relevant... plus it's fun and frivolous, not critically respected.

Jeez....chill out, guys!

We will all die soon from drinking too much Corona anyways, apparently (I haven't been paying attention. I don't even like that beer. And now, if you drink it, you get a virus. Fu*k that. Stick with Red Stripe, I reckon). The least we can do is be civil, yeah?

In my opinion, No Doubt are as credible as a Me Blobby single (ask your parents). And just as talented. But then, they would STILL be better than Looks. So.....you know....all bets are off.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

OK, well if the Godlike Colin Larkin likes it then that changes everything

You're the one so hung up on critics. They don't come much more universally accepted as a critic than Colin Larkin. But I guess you know best.

Like I said, she ain't likely anyway I was just trying to throw another name into the mix that hasn't already played everywhere else over the last 5 years. 

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You're the one so hung up on critics. They don't come much more universally accepted as a critic than Colin Larkin. But I guess you know best.

Like I said, she ain't likely anyway I was just trying to throw another name into the mix that hasn't already played everywhere else over the last 5 years. 

I'm hung up on critics because the point I was making was about critical acclaim. Which, you know, involves critics. 

Metacritic, like it or loathe it, does try and aggregate critical opinion into some kind of consensus. A bit like Rate Your Music and Album of the Year

And No Doubt isn't in the Rolling Stones top 500 greatest album list. No Doubt was relegated out of the top 500 with the last edition. And it would be hard for Lana Del Rey to feature anyway as this was back in 2012. 

4 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

If we're throwing female headliners out there...how about a Patti Smith day. 

Busy on Friday 22nd (with a sole UK summer date actually) and touring through Europe in June. 

Got to be in with a shout? 

Unlikely with two big Albert hall dates in Nov 

It would look pretty bad if they did not have at least one female headliner out of 6 or even 7 if you count the co-headline of Kooks & Wombats.

I guess you can only book whats available, but it would real poor if they did not have at least one.  Maybe have an old skool indie day Sleeper, Echobelly, Saint Etienne, Garbage, Skunk Anansie etc. I would go 🙂

As its monthly pay week for many, we should get a name soon, surely?