All Points East Festival 2020

13 hours ago, assorted said:

Has anyone else wondered about All Points East and Glastonbury having some competition/conflict?

Goldenvoice, the company behind APE, is infamous for highly restrictive radius clauses acts are forced to sign to play their festivals as well as aggressive, anti-competitive behavior towards festivals in the new markets they enter. I believe this behavior is tolerated because of their large paychecks. 

When the first APE happened in London I was blown away by the lineup but noted that it happened on the Glasto fallow year, and I believe that was on purpose. 

Glastonbury is in a very special position in the music industry, and I think a U.S. company coming in and trying to muscle away acts with large paychecks... I think all Glasto would have to do is make the slightest peep for the whole country to get outraged at GoldenVoice... 

And this is all complete bullshit/internet conjecture, but I wonder if the Glasto LDR announcement (and calling it an "exclusive") plus APE's trouble announcing their full lineup in a timely manner relates to this wildly hypothetical story I've had running in my head since that first APE... 

here are 2 links for context to my statements about GoldenVoice

Their terrible radius clauses - https://www.spin.com/2018/04/coachella-radius-clause-lawsuit/

GoldenVoice trying to muscle smaller festivals - https://www.stereogum.com/1854338/all-points-east-what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-panorama-governors-ball-the-battle-for-new-york-city/franchises/sounding-board/

(Governors Ball was able to survive and even chase out GoldenVoice in the end, but 4 months after this article they sold their formerly independently run company to LiveNation, which is probably the only reason they were able to win)

Bring me the horizon in 2019 when they got announced for ape when it was a UK execisee but they also performed at Glastonbury which makes ape not a UK execisee

49 minutes ago, stereodista said:

Pixies already announced for BST, so they’re out.

Foals are playing three nights at Olympia the same month, so they’re also out. 

Would question whether any of the others are big enough to headline, but then again, who else can they get to fill three nights with a touch over three months to go?!

Unless there has been a cancellation (and NIN might have been one albeit some time ago) there is no way they are looking for headline acts now.

They have their names.

Either there are other gigs that have to sell out first before they can announce them (eg Lana)or they are unable to announce until a wider tour is announced (eg Moby) or they are trying to bolster the support before announcing (eg Two Door CC)

1 hour ago, stereodista said:

Pixies already announced for BST, so they’re out.

Foals are playing three nights at Olympia the same month, so they’re also out. 

Would question whether any of the others are big enough to headline, but then again, who else can they get to fill three nights with a touch over three months to go?!

I wasn’t suggesting that all of those could headline but Vampire Weekend definitely could. Elbow too. 

I forgot about Pixies and yeah I guess that rules Foals out too.

Unless they really have a surprise up their sleeve, like most have already said, they are running out of options. At least options that would sell well.

1 minute ago, DomDom1984 said:

Is this beyond the reach of Placebo? They seem quite active over the summer

I suggested that earlier in the thread when the topic of a possible NIN like British band was rumoured to be taking their place since there’s some crossover between the two.

As a headliner it seems unlikely but they are one of those bands that always do well on the undercard of a festival.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

Yeah, I don't think the Tame show will struggle to sell tickets. That just looks like album promo to me.

Placebo could be a really good shout – they have a really solid and dedicated fanbase, last tour was arenas a couple of years ago, no UK festivals booked.

I agree.

I don't think they are big enough to headline though. Maybe if paired with another similar sized act.