All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

14 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Whenever I've been to the O2 I've just had a pint in the pub after then by that time the tube is basically dead 

If I go to something there on my own I tend to drive, meaning I can leave the house half an hour before they’re due on stage (and put the kids to bed), drive to the IKEA/B&Q nearby. Park and get a 2 minute bus journey to the Dome. 

My PB is back home with a cup of tea 16 minutes after the gig ended.

17 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Whenever I've been to the O2 I've just had a pint in the pub after then by that time the tube is basically dead 

Most of us have to crush for the last train. I usually just walk fast/leave early/run to beat the queues - hasn't failed me yet

17 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Might be worth a go in future. Guess its difficult for me as Greenwich to Euston, where I need to go for my train back home, is a trek.

20 minutes ago, gfa said:

Most of us have to crush for the last train. I usually just walk fast/leave early/run to beat the queues - hasn't failed me yet

I had a falling out with a friend after the blink-182/Frank Turner show as he ran to the back whereas I got lost trying to find and we went from potentially being at the front of the queue to the back.

But it is the better option. When I saw Muse in September, I ran to the back during the start of the final song then ran out on the final note. That worked so well.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Might be worth a go in future. Guess its difficult for me as Greenwich to Euston, where I need to go for my train back home, is a trek.

I had a falling out with a friend after the blink-182/Frank Turner show as he ran to the back whereas I got lost trying to find and we went from potentially being at the front of the queue to the back.

But it is the better option. When I saw Muse in September, I ran to the back during the start of the final song then ran out on the final note. That worked so well.

Honestly though - its more a station crush than the tube. People can only get on so fast so as long as you move down the carriage by the time they shut the doors its only like half full. Far from rush hour bad honestly. I go from St Pancras its not great either.

Just now, gfa said:

Honestly though - its more a station crush than the tube. People can only get on so fast so as long as you move down the carriage by the time they shut the doors its only like half full. Far from rush hour bad honestly. I go from St Pancras its not great either.

I can agree with that about the station being the worst side tbf. Some days I've had stupidly busy tubes after O2 arena gigs but it usually seems worse after open-air stadium shows or football matches. The queueing into North Greenwich itself and going down to the ticket gates, particularly if among the last to leave, is usually pretty brutal.

I can make it worse for myself sometimes as well. I remember when I first went to an O2 arena event that I thought I'd be clever and get the less congested tube that heads to Stratford up to West Ham, then get a H&C line train. Only problem with that was that the H&C line had stopped running, which undermined that idea pretty well.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

If I go to something there on my own I tend to drive, meaning I can leave the house half an hour before they’re due on stage (and put the kids to bed), drive to the IKEA/B&Q nearby. Park and get a 2 minute bus journey to the Dome. 

Even with the increased security there nowadays?

1 minute ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Even with the increased security there nowadays?

I basically walked in for Liam Gallagher - entered the arena during the support and there was about 10 people at the main gate in the queue for each like bag checker

1 minute ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Chems was a literal nightmare

I bet - they had lots of stuff about flares for Liam, imagine its more drugs for chems (gutted i missed that and APE too)

Arctics took ages for floor access for some reason, the queue just snaked forever. Should mention that with Liam I was in the high stands.

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

I bet - they had lots of stuff about flares for Liam, imagine its more drugs for chems (gutted i missed that and APE too)

Arctics took ages for floor access for some reason, the queue just snaked forever. Should mention that with Liam I was in the high stands.

What weirdos go to the mega corporate O2 to take drugs?

On 1/31/2020 at 12:16 AM, xxialac said:

I'm not sure I buy the 'their heydey was 22 years ago' line. 

Couldn't you say that about any number of enormously popular acts on here - Pearl Jam, Pixies, Nine Inch Nails, Faith No More, Green Day, Rage Against The Machine?

I mean, Beethoven hasn't released any good stuff in 300 years and he's still shifting tickets.

I would be pretty confident that every act you're mentioning here (including the old Ludwig Van), with the exception of the Pixies, are a tier above Massive Attack in terms of popularity.  I don't think Massive Attack have ever played their own stadium gig.  I think their agent has played a good hand getting them to the top of festival bills.  Possibly more to do with the lack of solid bands with a decent level of popularity coming through over the last 20 years.  

Edited by Johndenis

58 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

I would be pretty confident that every act you're mentioning here (including the old Ludwig Van), with the exception of the Pixies, are a tier above Massive Attack in terms of popularity.  I don't think Massive Attack have ever played their own stadium gig.  I think their agent has played a good hand getting them to the top of festival bills.  Possibly more to do with the lack of solid bands with a decent level of popularity coming through over the last 20 years.  

Well maybe but that's a completely different point to the one I was making.

My singular point is that ALL those bands are still living off past glories, including Massive Attack.