All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

After the critical failure of the last album the last thing they would want to do is a high profile classic album show.

It screams ‘we’ve run out ideas’...

And if I’m wrong and it happened it would be amusing for them to pick literally their only record that wasn’t a number 1 or 2 album (Funeral got to 33).

1 hour ago, DomDom1984 said:

The Wombats did a similar celebration of their debut as well. I like that way of doing it. Did Enter Shikari not do the same?

I woul'd like to see early day 'deep cut' secret sets before the main show become more common at festival shows  

Edited by gfa

2 hours ago, Dales said:

If they have new material then I doubt the Funeral thing will happen but if they don't it would give them a purpose or banner to tour under. Otherwise a new tour with no new material would just be an extention of the Everything Now Tour.

Nah, they played festivals in 2016 that weren’t part of the Reflektor tour and were just ‘greatest hits’ style shows (which is essentially what any out-of-album-tour show would be). The member who posted the rumour even said that’s what the shows are likely to be. If they had a Funeral tour planned, they wouldn’t be mulling over a single offer and they’d have plotted it before they did their ‘Funeral 15’ marketing campaign.

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nah, they played festivals in 2016 that weren’t part of the Reflektor tour and were just ‘greatest hits’ style shows (which is essentially what any out-of-album-tour show would be). The member who posted the rumour even said that’s what the shows are likely to be. If they had a Funeral tour planned, they wouldn’t be mulling over a single offer and they’d have plotted it before they did their ‘Funeral 15’ marketing campaign.

Nail on the head...

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I wonder if anybody will be making announcements in January (as happened in 2017 for BST Hyde Park and U2) or if there'll be a presumption nobody has any money and the festival bills will start appearing throughout February instead.

Also wonder if Beck is a shout for this.

Mid-to-late Jan is usually a busy period for festival announcements. Can expect a couple of APE announcements I'm sure, given that it’s just about one of the earliest in the calendar.

Beck was here a couple of years ago supporting Björk. Nothing stopping him returning but probably would have been more likely if he wasn’t here so recently.

Well I remember a few early Jan ones in the past but yeah - I guess its more likely gonna be end of month when people start getting some payments.

I'm guessing if Beck was there as a Bjork opener, then its unlikely he'd end up being considered for headline status. Just pondering cos I'm aware he's in Europe for InMusic in Zagreb and a few others.

1 hour ago, stereomike2020 said:

I would expect two announcements this month, probably towards the end of the month. Beck could well play, but he would most likely be supporting the main headliner or topping the bill on the North stage.

You'd think Beck would be coming back too soon but then you see that Anna Calvi and Johnny Marr are playing two years running so why not. He's definitely around.

Wouldn't it be amazing if APE pulled a massive wildcard out of the bag and had Idles Headline on of the days. there's no doubt they'd be a massive ticket shifter, especially if they had a decent supporting undercard (Fontaines D.C, Bikini Kill, Squid, Metz, John, Black Midi, The Murder Capital, Black Flag, Shame and Heavy Lungs). not an official rumour, just some late night ramblings. 

30 minutes ago, Barnabylike said:

Wouldn't it be amazing if APE pulled a massive wildcard out of the bag and had Idles Headline on of the days. there's no doubt they'd be a massive ticket shifter, especially if they had a decent supporting undercard (Fontaines D.C, Bikini Kill, Squid, Metz, John, Black Midi, The Murder Capital, Black Flag, Shame and Heavy Lungs). not an official rumour, just some late night ramblings. 

No chance. They've played so extensively the last 2 years - can't be anyone who wanted to see them who hadn't got round to it which would hurt sales and they haven't headlined anything as remotely as big as APE.

6 hours ago, Barnabylike said:

Really don't think it would shift as many tickets as you suggest. Definitely one of the hottest acts in the UK right now but as xxialac says, pretty much everyone's had the chance to see them by now. They also played APE last year under BMTH, granted not a headline slot but it didn't sell well still. 

Another quality album and they'll be in consideration for future editions.

45 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Really don't think it would shift as many tickets as you suggest. Definitely one of the hottest acts in the UK right now but as xxialac says, pretty much everyone's had the chance to see them by now. They also played APE last year under BMTH, granted not a headline slot but it didn't sell well still. 

Another quality album and they'll be in consideration for future editions.

Agree with all of this.

They're only 4th line at Coachella. One more good album however and they could headline a big UK fest.

12 hours ago, xxialac said:

No chance. They've played so extensively the last 2 years - can't be anyone who wanted to see them who hadn't got round to it which would hurt sales and they haven't headlined anything as remotely as big as APE.

Youd be surprised: the headline tours all sold out very quickly in the last year, so there could be a demand for them.

I think its unlikely but second from top is probably about right.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Youd be surprised: the headline tours all sold out very quickly in the last year, so there could be a demand for them.

I think its unlikely but second from top is probably about right.

But I agree with you. They'd be second billing these days and by next year could be headlining.

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

But I agree with you. They'd be second billing these days and by next year could be headlining.

Ha fair enough. Saying that, selling out ally pally in 24 hours and  being an exclusive could make them attractive to APE to headline. New album is out this year as well 

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ha fair enough. Saying that, selling out ally pally in 24 hours and  being an exclusive could make them attractive to APE to headline. New album is out this year as well 

APE has a capacity 4 times bigger than Ally Pally and a tonne of bands have sold it out and then been a sub at APE.

They're a sub for sure and APE will be wary of taking a chance on an act after the poor sales of Christine last year.