All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

3 hours ago, Damsonz said:

I think this was a joke.

3 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Think @VanderlyleTea was joking mate!

Yeah, I know but as they seem to struggle to sell tickets at the best of times with the current situation  it is not going to help much. I was not knocking @VanderlyleTea Sorry, if it came across like that.

1 hour ago, Dales said:

Yeah, I know but as they seem to struggle to sell tickets at the best of times with the current situation  it is not going to help much. I was not knocking @VanderlyleTea Sorry, if it came across like that.

Not at all, I actually think that people shouldn’t panic buy APE ticks... just like they shouldn’t panic buy toilet roll and hand sanitiser! 
I guess APE has a lot in common with toilet roll and hand sanitiser. Wouldn’t be surprised if APE started the media hysteria over Coronavirus.

crazy days...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

If Coachella moves to October this has to be in line for a similar date change as well...

It’d work for Coachella as California is sunny all year round, I can’t see a UK outdoor fest being as popular in Oct ad there’s probably council licenses involved too making a change more difficult.

• Upvote 1

This won’t be postponed. Too logistically challenging.

Based on projected growth of corona numbers, it’s going to be cancelled this year. Watch for a spike in numbers today and within a week this is a full blown crisis. Bands are already cancelling whole tours.

If only it was later in the calendar.

24 minutes ago, xxialac said:

This won’t be postponed. Too logistically challenging.

Based on projected growth of corona numbers, it’s going to be cancelled this year. Watch for a spike in numbers today and within a week this is a full blown crisis. Bands are already cancelling whole tours.

If only it was later in the calendar.

Can you please stop with this? I understand you're worried but posting absolutes on every thread like this is not helpful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

40 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Can you please stop with this? I understand you're worried but posting absolutes on every thread like this is not helpful.

No. If someone is about to fork out a lot of cash, book trains etc what could be more ‘helpful’ than advising that the event will probably be cancelled.

There was the same complacency on the Coachella forums and now look what’s happened.

I will write what I want to and continue to alert people to the risks. There’s no benefit to me in doing so, I’ve got nothing to promote.

• Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, xxialac said:

No. If someone is about to fork out a lot of cash, book trains etc what could be more ‘helpful’ than advising that the event will probably be cancelled.

There was the same complacency on the Coachella forums and now look what’s happened.

I will write what I want to and continue to alert people to the risks. There’s no benefit to me in doing so, I’ve got nothing to promote.

I don't dispute having a discussion is a reasonable thing, but the amount of times you've presented information as fact on this board - and others - is something I have an issue with. And clearly so do others. From reading a lot of this forum, lots of people are withholding on travel and accommodation related purchases, anyway.

Your intention might be to spread helpful information, but it isn't coming across as helpful from my POV. I'm not going to police what you write, obviously, but I don't think what you're doing is particularly helpful, that's all. We all get the message - there's a reasonable risk these events could be cancelled - we now just have to wait and see.  

e: anyway I've said my bit, I'd rather not continue this discourse, cheers.

Edited by Tuna
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Most gigs are going on as planned. I've been to three alone since the first UK case and will be going to more (and other events) over the next fortnight. 

It may well be that come May/June there are still issues with travel or demand for police/doctors etc. that mean these events can't go ahead, but at the moment there's hardly any reason to think they wont and people should carry on as normal. 

If events are cancelled it’s because it’s economically sensible for the organisers to do so or because the government decide that it is politically advantageous for them to be seen to act. It will have very little to do with actually arresting the spread of the disease. 

You can curtail the spread this year as much as you like but Covid 19 will just join the cocktail of nasties that flare up every year and are dealt with as business as usual. It’s getting irritating to read people discuss it as of it is end of days stuff.

To get back on topic I do think that there is a chance that APE will be cancelled but that it will be driven by the promoters wishing to minimise the losses and avoid bad optics rather than an actual public health concern. 

I strongly disagree there’s a “reasonable“ risk it will be cancelled and I have the right to see things differently, drawing on the parallel example of what is happening on our doorstop in Italy. You have an equal right to see it differently.

I don’t present information as fact. I present it as my view, pointing to the reasons for holding that view.

“Based on projected growth of corona numbers, it’s going to be cancelled this year”

e.g this comment is entirely fair. I think you haven’t followed the reasoning here which is If the projected growth is lower, the festival may go ahead. But the base/expected case is that it won’t. Other countries with incidents of 100s of cases are shutting everything down. I guarantee we will be above 1000 cases by this time next week - source, every credible doctor in the land that understands the basics of epidemics including the government’s medical counsel. And yes I agree that the motives might be political but the result will be the same. And this doesn’t even factor in the other equally important aspect which is the likelihood of bands cancelling their tours. Only one needs to happen.

If I help one risk-averse person to delay their decision to spend a lot of money they can barely afford on APE under the view that they have only read comments suggesting it will go ahead then it will have been worthwhile.

I will not be muted on this existential question as to whether the festival will go ahead. What could be more significant to discuss?

Edited by xxialac

9 minutes ago, Tuna said:

You don't need to mansplain to me how to follow your logic. I get it. As I said I don't particularly want to continue this conversation so I am not going to.

Nip on here, try and shut down my right to express myself freely despite this being - you know - a forum for discussion and the reason this part of the site exists , then go on the attack and try and turn this bizarrely into a gender issue (how can I be mansplaining when I had no idea what gender you are?), then exit the conversation. 

Nice one.

• Downvote 3

59 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Nip on here, try and shut down my right to express myself freely despite this being - you know - a forum for discussion and the reason this part of the site exists , then go on the attack and try and turn this bizarrely into a gender issue (how can I be mansplaining when I had no idea what gender you are?), then exit the conversation. 

Nice one.

It is a forum for music discussion though not the spread of a virus