All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

On 2/26/2020 at 11:16 AM, chilirocker said:

I thought it would be useful, to maybe do a list of potential headliners for the remainder two days - just based on certain people touring and playing at other festivals - I may have got this all wrong, so apologies if so:

The Libertines
Lana Del Rey (if Emily Eavis doesn't classify this as a festival)
Placebo
Foo Fighters
Flume
Pet Shop Boys
Four Tet
Vampire Weekend
Two Door Cinema Club
Lizzo
Solange
Bombay Bicycle Club
Royal Blood
Biffy Clyro
Stereophonics
The Cure

Adding The Cure also, who just got announced for Open'er in Poland, as that would be an instant sellout. 

On 2/26/2020 at 12:05 PM, xxialac said:

This time next week we will have one name as a minimum.

Wonder if we will get new names for the Kraftwerk day. I highly doubt it's selling well. They are a decent name but most who wanted to see them will have seen them by now. And the undercard is great but not that commercial.

I have had less marketing emails for the Krafwerk day than the others. It's a great line-up for a late 30s though to 40s crowd. It's just a pity that it isn't up against the Massive Attack day as an out of town crowd might have been tempted to make a trip.

I'm thinking Bombay Bicycle Club. I did think they would not  be big enough to headlibe APE but then the Kooks got announced as headliner and they are only sub at Victorious.

My logic is that Bombay are also subbing another day at Victorious and seem to be about the size APE are booking this year. If it was them that would explain not announcing them as they have plenty of London gigs early this year. Maybe another indie style day.

I was kinda thinking, with kooks as a headliner (who are sub at Kendal (mint) calling), that Supergrass could headline (who are headlining Kendal) ?!? And the reason for the delay is they still have an ally pally gig to flog next week?!?

Apologies if it's been mentioned before....

Edited by retromoz

Late entry to this thread as we've only just decided to go but somebody on here will hopefully be able to answer this....

Is the super-dooper VIP ticket with access to "VIP viewing area" some kind of posh out of the way VIP area which is nowhere near as much fun as being in the crowd or does it mean "still in the crowd but in the circle down the front"?

I've never been down the front at the festival because I have a bladder made of paper so if it's the second option I may upgrade us.

Any thoughts about King Krule potentially headlining/subbing a day TBA? New album this month with a lot of critical buzz, (nearly) sold out UK tour next month, free during the time and I reckon he would fit the APE "ethos" perfectly.

Maybe waiting for his tour to come closer before announcing to maximise ticket sales? 

56 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Late entry to this thread as we've only just decided to go but somebody on here will hopefully be able to answer this....

Is the super-dooper VIP ticket with access to "VIP viewing area" some kind of posh out of the way VIP area which is nowhere near as much fun as being in the crowd or does it mean "still in the crowd but in the circle down the front"?

I've never been down the front at the festival because I have a bladder made of paper so if it's the second option I may upgrade us.

There's 2 VIP areas, one for Amex card holders and the other is VIP area you have to pay extra for. I ended up with both last year for some reason

The Amex platform is absolutely miles away from the stage and you have to queue to get on it (absolutely not worth it unless you're some kind of instagram influencer)

The VIP area is actually behind the main stage and you can't see anything when there. The only reason we used it was for the speedy bar service. Had some sofa like things laid out but they were again pointless as you couldn't see the stage. Don't waste your money is my advise

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Not worth it IMO. At APE you can generally find somewhere to sit down and queues for bar/food/bogs are not excessive unless you go at absolutely peak times. It’s easy enough to get to the front if need be but I suppose if you are Uber paranoid it will give you a comfort blanket.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NWUYC said:

Any thoughts about King Krule potentially headlining/subbing a day TBA? New album this month with a lot of critical buzz, (nearly) sold out UK tour next month, free during the time and I reckon he would fit the APE "ethos" perfectly.

Maybe waiting for his tour to come closer before announcing to maximise ticket sales? 

Could see him as a second stage headliner, similar to Mac DeMarco at Bon Iver last year

7 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

You on the PVA?

No dude. The Strokes notably launched a thousand shitty indie bands and The xx were pretty huge for indie kids around that first album when they were promoted on every page of the NME. It’s really not ridiculous that those bands are there so for people to suggest ‘oh they’re just letting anyone headline now’ is daft.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

No dude. The Strokes notably launched a thousand shitty indie bands and The xx were pretty huge for indie kids around that first album when they were promoted on every page of the NME. It’s really not ridiculous that those bands are there so for people to suggest ‘oh they’re just letting anyone headline now’ is daft.

I think someone has roofied you then... The Strokes are top drawer headliners, have produced an album that was era defining and will be talked about for decades to come, and are one of the few bands to have actually sold out a day at APE.  The fact they spawned countless shitty bands in their wake is testament to how influential they are - but I wouldn’t count The Kooks, Wombats or Catfish in that number.  The XX are one good album away from being able to headline Glastonbury, even before you consider how popular and influential Jamie is by himself.

Those other three, on the other hand, are utterly irrelevant dross that have sold a fraction of what The Strokes and The XX have (both in terms of record sales and tickets), have not created one remotely memorable album, and will not be remembered by anyone except Steve Lamaqq in 20 years.

9 hours ago, NWUYC said:

Even in these times of Kooks and Wombats bullshit... Not. A. Chance.

11 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I think someone has roofied you then... The Strokes are top drawer headliners, have produced an album that was era defining and will be talked about for decades to come, and are one of the few bands to have actually sold out a day at APE.  The fact they spawned countless shitty bands in their wake is testament to how influential they are - but I wouldn’t count The Kooks, Wombats or Catfish in that number.  The XX are one good album away from being able to headline Glastonbury, even before you consider how popular and influential Jamie is by himself.

Those other three, on the other hand, are utterly irrelevant dross that have sold a fraction of what The Strokes and The XX have (both in terms of record sales and tickets), have not created one remotely memorable album, and will not be remembered by anyone except Steve Lamaqq in 20 years.

Was talking about the crowds they appeal to. The sort of people that would keep tabs on an All Points East lineup.

All of what you said (apart from The xx being an album away from headlining Glastonbury and significantly outselling Kooks/Catfish) I would agree with but it’s not what I was talking about at all.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

Gwen Stefani isn’t gonna be on the radar for a festival like this, and she isn’t a big enough ticket seller at all to even be considered. Weird suggestion and not remotely comparable to Lana.

The Kooks and Wombats are shite but they’re regular festival bands and so will appeal to a certain portion of the festival crowd. Their day is hardly gonna be a sell out but there’s a festival going audience for that kind of music for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4