All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

Normally I'd be skeptical of it but PSBs are free on the 31st (one of the currently unnanounced dates), it's in the middle of their pretty-much-sold out arena tour so they'd have a setlist and production rehearsed, and neither have any UK festivals announced.

It'd be weird considering they're playing the O2 the week before, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility if they bill it as a festival set/co-headline.

30 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

New Order and Pet Shop Boys just announced a co-headlining tour of the US for late summer. They're both big enough to headline separately, but could this be in advance of an APE announcement?

That looks just too strong for APE. That day would be oversold, when other days are undersold. So could see one but not the other.

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That looks just too strong for APE. That day would be oversold, when other days are undersold. So could see one but not the other.

I don't know. I think APE in the past couple of years have had days where the top couple of acts have been stacked and could potentially have headlined separately, especially when compared with The Kooks & Wombats combo or Christine & The Queens:

- LCD Soundsystem/Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Phoenix
-The XX/Lorde/Justice
- The National/War On Drugs
- Nick Cave/Patti Smith
- The Strokes/ The Raconteurs

Edited by chilirocker

4 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

I don't know. I think APE in the past couple of years have had days where the top couple of acts have been stacked and could potentially have headlined separately, especially when compared with The Kooks & Wombats combo or Christine & The Queens:

- LCD Soundsystem/Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Phoenix
-The XX/Lorde/Justice
- The National/War On Drugs
- Nick Cave/Patti Smith
- The Strokes/ The Raconteurs

Of that list only The Raconteurs could have been decent headliners (commercially not critically) of the subs, although take your point about C&TQ.

I can only think they were convinced she was about to blow up when they booked her and her star indeed rose but not enough to solo headline.

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I can only think they were convinced she was about to blow up when they booked her and her star indeed rose but not enough to solo headline.

She'd just completed a sold-out UK theatre tour in the winter where tickets were like gold dust and got five star reviews everywhere, so they assumed the demand would be there for the festival headliner. For whatever reason, it wasn't – she's popular and has a great live show but doesn't have any big 'festival' hits that will sell that amount of tickets to casual fans. Maybe in another album's time she'll be at that level.