All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

31 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Moby is releasing a new album march 6th just fyi

Edit: also sufjan Stevens album also soon after that. 

It's not really a Sufjan album.

Moby must still be right in the frame. He needs to try and rebuild his reputation and the UK might make more sense to start than the US.

Quotes in an NME interview seem to back this up: “We’re getting all of our festivals sorted out. Depending on how many we do, we may tour in September. We might have a quiet-ish summer then come back with our own tour – maybe early next year. We’re really keen to play all of this record. That’s how you know you’re fucking buzzing when you’re genuinely fucking salivating at figuring out how to figure these songs out. We’re excited to get out there but it will be a wee while. We’re doing some cool stuff around Europe.”

More hither: https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/exclusive-biffy-clyro-return-with-infinite-history-i-feel-a-responsibility-to-the-world-now-especially-as-a-white-male-2612425

I'm not so sure on the new song - has nice verses but a bit of a bland chorus. Most of the stuff from Ellipsis sounded better live tbf.

Edited by charlierc

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

3million likes on facebook says yes.

Blimey!!! Really? I'm not on any social media, but I would have thought no one would care for his advert selling sampling nonsense! (Btw, do listen to the heavyweight podcast about how a friend lent him a cd Boxset which led him to basically sample it all for the 'play' album. A link to a news article http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/moby-best-podcast-ever/ ), let alone his recent outing as a misogynist (allegedly).

But I am also a 43 year old man who's finger is not on the pulse. In fact, the pulse my finger was on flatlined in about 2012. So what do I know?!?

8 minutes ago, retromoz said:

Blimey!!! Really? I'm not on any social media, but I would have thought no one would care for his advert selling sampling nonsense! (Btw, do listen to the heavyweight podcast about how a friend lent him a cd Boxset which led him to basically sample it all for the 'play' album. A link to a news article http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/moby-best-podcast-ever/ ), let alone his recent outing as a misogynist (allegedly).

But I am also a 43 year old man who's finger is not on the pulse. In fact, the pulse my finger was on flatlined in about 2012. So what do I know?!?

Yeah, I don't think I could name 5 (3?) Moby songs, and I remember 'Go' first time it was out........ however the following is ridiculously good....... would like to hear about any other good Moby Tunes........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na8LvGvk3XI

2 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I really enjoyed it personally, but I’m a pretty massive Primal Scream fan and was  great to see them do a greatest hits set.

I'd forgotten they were there, almost didn't believe the comments, had to check, and I'm a pretty big Primal Scream fan (even got a Screamadelica tattoo)....... however as a mate pointed out to me, we were watching Spiritualized followed by Jon Hopkins in the tent, and that is possibly my finest memory of APE......... Spiritualized, to me, certainly better at APE than End Of The Road.......

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JimiC999 said:

I'd forgotten they were there, almost didn't believe the comments, had to check, and I'm a pretty big Primal Scream fan (even got a Screamadelica tattoo)....... however as a mate pointed out to me, we were watching Spiritualized followed by Jon Hopkins in the tent, and that is possibly my finest memory of APE......... Spiritualized, to me, certainly better at APE than End Of The Road.......

I’ve seen Spiritualized a lot, and that APE performance was right up there with the absolute best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retromoz said:

If the pulse was still beating, Moby would still not come on your radar. He’s about as relevant as The Kooks.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I’d already seen Hopkins twice on that tour, so didn’t go, but both times he was unbelievable - so imagine it was a fucking brilliant night for you!

Yep, I'd say I was a Hopkins fan, however that was the first time live,  your words 'fucking brilliant night' are 100% spot on ha

On 2/18/2020 at 5:06 PM, eFestivals said:

I've just discovered 'Gimix' - which is apparently what the first album would have sounded like if they'd been able to clear all of the samples.

I'm only 5 minutes in, but the interesting thing about it to me is that it's like how they were live when I saw them in 2001 - with stuff like Bob Dylan and Madonna included.

You can download the mp3 from their site, here:-
http://www.theavalanches.com/mixes.html

Neil, I always here you say how great and innovative they were live back in the 00s with a full lineup. What did they do back then compared to now? 

8 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Neil, I always here you say how great and innovative they were live back in the 00s with a full lineup. What did they do back then compared to now? 

It was just DJing live with lots of samples I think, back when DJ Dexta was in the band.

I'd take this over whatever it is they do nowadays every time 

22 hours ago, kingbadger said:

14 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

It was just DJing live with lots of samples I think, back when DJ Dexta was in the band.

DJ Dexter.

Nah, there was a full live element too (drums, bass, guitar, keys*) along with 2 DJs - tho I'm not really sure what the live element was adding if I'm honest. However, I saw a true DJ set from just the 2 DJs a week later and it was very different and nowhere near as good.

(* It was nearly 20 years ago now, so it's hard to remember. I'm fairly sure there were all those instruments, but there might have only been 3 people doing them [plus 2 on the decks], so perhaps not all those instruments at once. The personnel swapped instruments/decks at points).

For me most of the innovation came from what they were mixing in - Bob Dylan & Madonna are the two that stick in my mind. But the whole thing was just stunning, jaw-dropping. It was fresh and different at the time (might be thought old hat today).

Very different to what they were at Glastonbury a few years back, which was a nowadays fairly standard geezers-twiddling-knobs/spinning-discs with shouty-MCs out front.

Edited by eFestivals

PS: the reason I saw the DJ set a week later is because during that week at a show one of the band got kicked off stage by someone else and broke his arm or leg or something (so they couldn't play live) - so I guess there were also on-stage antics that added to what I saw, but I'm not remembering anything apart from them swapping instruments.

Edited by eFestivals

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

DJ Dexter.

Nah, there was a full live element too (drums, bass, guitar, keys*) along with 2 DJs - tho I'm not really sure what the live element was adding if I'm honest. However, I saw a true DJ set from just the 2 DJs a week later and it was very different and nowhere near as good.

(* It was nearly 20 years ago now, so it's hard to remember. I'm fairly sure there were all those instruments, but there might have only been 3 people doing them [plus 2 on the decks], so perhaps not all those instruments at once. The personnel swapped instruments/decks at points).

For me most of the innovation came from what they were mixing in - Bob Dylan & Madonna are the two that stick in my mind. But the whole thing was just stunning, jaw-dropping. It was fresh and different at the time (might be thought old hat today).

Very different to what they were at Glastonbury a few years back, which was a nowadays fairly standard geezers-twiddling-knobs/spinning-discs with shouty-MCs out front.

I can vouch for your memories... I saw them at V 2001, and there was a very big live band, playing all sorts of instruments.  Still to this day one of the best live shows I've ever seen, especially as at the time it was so innovative (2ManyDJs hadn't broken through to the mainstream yet).