All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

18 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Think a Bombay - Wolf Alice co-headline would go down pretty well

I dunno if either of them are big enough but obviously could do after today’s announcement. I’m still hoping for VW cause I expected them for Citadel last year but they disappointed with Catfish instead.

Vampire Weekend, Bombay Bicycle Club, Wolf Alice

Doing my best Kevin Keegan impression, I'll tell you, honestly I will love it if we beat them and announce Gerry Cinnamon 😊

I can almost hear the chants echoing down Victoria Park Road as lost peoples from the Tame Impala day scurry for cover in the little cafes by the roundabout spilling their skinny frappy coffees and couscous wraps.

You can deny it all you want the Gerry Juggernaut will roll on and on........................

They are having kittens about LG & Gerry on the R/L thread. Imagine how much fun it would be at APE. What larks we will have.

The Kooks/Wombats release was just a wee dram before the main course.

Na na na na na Gerry Cinnamon Cinnamon, Gerry Cinnamon.

1 minute ago, jump said:

I’ve just seen Korn and Faith No More are doing a joint US tour ending mid May and then both are off to Europe afterwards. Even with FNM having their own UK tour that would be a decent day for APE.

I think with the Kooks/Wombat booking they ripped up the rule book and so almost anyone can get booked now. Faith No More would be a strong booking and I could see it sell well.

36 minutes ago, Dales said:

Doing my best Kevin Keegan impression, I'll tell you, honestly I will love it if we beat them and announce Gerry Cinnamon 😊

I can almost hear the chants echoing down Victoria Park Road as lost peoples from the Tame Impala day scurry for cover in the little cafes by the roundabout spilling their skinny frappy coffees and couscous wraps.

You can deny it all you want the Gerry Juggernaut will roll on and on........................

They are having kittens about LG & Gerry on the R/L thread. Imagine how much fun it would be at APE. What larks we will have.

The Kooks/Wombats release was just a wee dram before the main course.

Na na na na na Gerry Cinnamon Cinnamon, Gerry Cinnamon.

If you really want to be provocative, you’ll have to do better than that.

4 hours ago, zeppelin said:

The Avalanches 

I've just discovered 'Gimix' - which is apparently what the first album would have sounded like if they'd been able to clear all of the samples.

I'm only 5 minutes in, but the interesting thing about it to me is that it's like how they were live when I saw them in 2001 - with stuff like Bob Dylan and Madonna included.

You can download the mp3 from their site, here:-
http://www.theavalanches.com/mixes.html

1 hour ago, Dales said:

I think with the Kooks/Wombat booking they ripped up the rule book and so almost anyone can get booked now. Faith No More would be a strong booking and I could see it sell well.

Not really any different to the cheap catfish day in 2018 though.

Clearly they have struggled a bit for headliners this year but for £45 its a really good value day with some decent acts like Gang of Youths further down. Basically just community a month earlier - the catfish day 2 years ago was similar circumstances (headliner a year after doing community) and it sold well enough it seemed so I really don’t get the issue. If its £2.50 tickets well even better!

Edited by gfa
  • Upvote 1

For all the talk of competition for bands in the London market, it should be pointed out that one of their big rivals has been forced to shut down (Citadel) and another has been forced away from booking the kind of bands they are after (Field Day). What's now taken the latter's place is much smaller.

This should have helped APE enormously and arguably it's the muscle of APE that has ended Citadel and Field Day as we knew them.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

arguably it's the muscle of APE that has ended Citadel and Field Day as we knew them.

I dunno about Citadel, but my take on Field Day isn't that particularly as it sold out last year.

The founder and booker has moved on around a change of ownership, and the new ownership do dance clubs. With different circumstances it might have carried on much as it was, but in the circumstances the change seems fairly logical.

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've just discovered 'Gimix' - which is apparently what the first album would have sounded like if they'd been able to clear all of the samples.

I'm only 5 minutes in, but the interesting thing about it to me is that it's like how they were live when I saw them in 2001 - with stuff like Bob Dylan and Madonna included.

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS i am in love

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I dunno about Citadel, but my take on Field Day isn't that particularly as it sold out last year.

The founder and booker has moved on around a change of ownership, and the new ownership do dance clubs. With different circumstances it might have carried on much as it was, but in the circumstances the change seems fairly logical.

Appreciate you know more about this generally but only one of the days at Field Day sold out last year.

And it's beside the point - we will never know how it would have sold if it had carried on booking guitar bands. I suspect not well at all, too much competition with APE and in a less marketable location than before.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Looks like it has already dropped off? I cannot seem to download it.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Appreciate you know more about this generally but only one of the days at Field Day sold out last year.

And it's beside the point - we will never know how it would have sold if it had carried on booking guitar bands. I suspect not well at all, too much competition with APE and in a less marketable location than before.

Field Day and the ownership only have themselves to blame for their fall from grace this year, nothing to do with AEG and APE. They had a change of directions for a number of reasons. 

Primavera Sound was going to take place at Drumsheds. The Field Day founder and PS peoples had the idea to merge the two events then shit hit and fan, he stepped down. It got as far as festival bookers submitting offers for Primavera's Field Day. 

12 hours ago, stocky3000 said:

Looks like it has already dropped off? I cannot seem to download it.

it gave me an error but downloaded anyway. If you've not got it send me a PM and I'll give you a link.

13 hours ago, Ben_Monk said:

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS i am in love

can't believe I'd not seen it before either as it's been kicking around for 10 years! 

16 hours ago, shaun Mulhern said:

What day would you say has the best line up now?

For me its the Kraftwerk/Iggy Day 😍

Shock/Horror, I like it so much, I went and bought tickets.

The only downer, is its a Friday and I will miss most of the under card as I will not be taking the day off work for this. Which is a shame as the lineup looks so strong Johnny Marr, The Orb, Kim Gordon, Anna Calvi & Chromatics but as others have pointed out its only a strong lineup, if it actually sells well. I love the lineup but not so sure the hoi polloi who live outside of efestival land would agree.

If they are struggling for headliners, not that we really know that they are. They could have  given Iggy a headline spot.

20 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

In the first year Weekend 1 was APE, then weekend 2 was "APE Presents..."

Frankly I never actually saw what the difference was.

I believe the only differnce was size - first weekend had six stages and the second (presents) was smaller with only four. 

Edited by Jacksamthompson

17 hours ago, eFestivals said:

This sounds amazing! Thanks Neil. I always remember you talking about when you saw them in 01 in the Glasto threads. 

Unfortunately I'm also getting a "This site can't be reached" error when I hit download. 

Edit: just seen Brave Sir Robin's note. 

Edited by zeppelin