All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

7 minutes ago, Dales said:

Emily might not but I often struggle to see why so many efestival members class APE as a Festival but not BST which they class as not a real festival.

Two organisation putting on one day events with multiple stages in a London parks. One struggles to sell its tickets but is a festival, the other often sells out its days but is not a festival.

I wish someone would enlighten me 😊with out moaning about sponsorship blah blah blah

They're the same as far as I can see.

1 minute ago, VanderlyleTea said:

Is it possible that it could be a Biffy Clyro day with Editors subbing? Editors could have asked that it is announced after their London show on 28th Feb.

Still cannot understand how there's a day on Friday 22nd May that still hasnt been announced. How late do they want to leave it!

2 minutes ago, VanderlyleTea said:

Is it possible that it could be a Biffy Clyro day with Editors subbing? Editors could have asked that it is announced after their London show on 28th Feb.

Now people are just winding me up. If Biffy play the 31st May and close APE with Editors as sub, I will be in heaven. That would be one fine weekend of gigs for me Kraftwerk, GNR and Biffy.

Should that be announced on another APE day when I cant go, I will cry myself to sleep for the next few months. I really want them to announce who is on the last night.

51 minutes ago, atomised said:

Two BTS shows 3rd and 4th July. I know this cos having suffered them.at one of their two sell out wembley stadium shows last summer my daughter wishes to inflict the same torture on me again.

I know what the gig is. I just can’t believe you’re calling it ‘the death of music’. Awful, misplaced snobbery.

Pretty commendable that kids are getting into stuff that’s not in English if you ask me. Maybe they’ll be Rammstein fans in 10 years.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Looking at APE's Instagram post, there is very little negative response.

Maybe everyone who hated the announcement saved their comments for here instead :P 

Poor bands or not its nice to see some buzz around it, after reading the shit storm of venom thrown Reading's way.

8 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

I know what the gig is. I just can’t believe you’re calling it ‘the death of music’. Awful, misplaced snobbery.

Pretty commendable that kids are getting into stuff that’s not in English if you ask me. Maybe they’ll be Rammstein fans in 10 years.

I was saying it as a joke. In fairness I did enjoy the spectacle last year if not the music though i can still see it as quality pop music that has a certain catch to it. I love that my daughter enjoys varied music and has also recently been to see the likes of yonaka with me. 

I cant believe I've just been called a snob for a throwaway jokey comment based on the sort of stuff that was being aimed at the likes of the Kooks on here today. Sorry if it wasnt clear and I offended you .

I will in future remember that written word comes across really badly 

Edited by atomised
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Dales said:

Emily might not but I often struggle to see why so many efestival members class APE as a Festival but not BST which they class as not a real festival.

Two organisation putting on one day events with multiple stages in a London parks. One struggles to sell its tickets but is a festival, the other often sells out its days but is not a festival.

I wish someone would enlighten me 😊with out moaning about sponsorship blah blah blah

They're the same.. but I guess the difference is the way BST feels like a series of solo shows with some support acts. I mean they sold out Taylor Swift without any other names attached.

I’m a bit disappointed as (like I few others here) I was hoping for something at least halfway decent to double up with Kraftwerk and make the weekend more worthwhile. Will probably end up going to Kraftwerk anyway though, as all my mates are. I daresay there will be something else to do in London on a Saturday. 

Do you think there would be scope under the license for branding the two weekends separately, so they could keep doing APE with three Tame Impala style acts, then something else the following weekend on the same stages? Like used to be done with Citadel on a Sunday and whatever else it was (Lovebox?) on the Friday and Saturday.

3 minutes ago, atomised said:

I was saying it as a joke. In fairness I did enjoy the spectacle last year if not the music though i can still see it as quality pop music that has a certain catch to it. I love that my daughter enjoys varied music and has also recently been to see the likes of yonaka with me. 

I cant believe I've just been called a snob for a throwaway jokey comment based on the sort of stuff that was being aimed at the likes of the Kooks on here today. Sorry if it wasnt clear and I offended you .

I will in future remember that written word comes across really badly 

Fair enough mate. I’m not even remotely a BTS fan or anything, I just thought it was harsh.

1 minute ago, theevilfridge said:

I’m a bit disappointed as (like I few others here) I was hoping for something at least halfway decent to double up with Kraftwerk and make the weekend more worthwhile. Will probably end up going to Kraftwerk anyway though, as all my mates are. I daresay there will be something else to do in London on a Saturday. 

Do you think there would be scope under the license for branding the two weekends separately, so they could keep doing APE with three Tame Impala style acts, then something else the following weekend on the same stages? Like used to be done with Citadel on a Sunday and whatever else it was (Lovebox?) on the Friday and Saturday.

In the first year Weekend 1 was APE, then weekend 2 was "APE Presents..."

Frankly I never actually saw what the difference was.

Just now, theevilfridge said:

Fair enough mate. I’m not even remotely a BTS fan or anything, I just thought it was harsh.

I see it came across as that. They certainly have an interesting hardcore of fans. I wasnt intending it as.anything but a flippant aside that sounded funny. Too used to winding my daughter up about it. I have a busy weekend then. Post Malone, BTS, little Mix and Kendrick and she will be at all 4 with me.

Anyway. Back to the oddities of APE

16 minutes ago, Glenn Coco said:

They're the same.. but I guess the difference is the way BST feels like a series of solo shows with some support acts. I mean they sold out Taylor Swift without any other names attached.

Same Same.

They feel the same to me with only one major difference BST often gets really busy with huge crowds, APE not so much which is kinda nice to didge the tumble weed as you wonder around an empty Vicky Park 🙂

You also get tonnes of free stuff at BST water bottles, bags, lanyards etc obviously covered in corporate branding. APE you get free tickets 😊

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think it was just that you couldn’t buy a weekend ticket, and half the site was shut off, for the Presents gigs?

I was thinking more of them being completely different festivals - different websites, booking policy, branding, etc - that just happen to use the same stages. There’s clearly not enough (what we’d consider on here to be) ‘APE’ acts to fill 6 headline slots each year, so why not give something with more of a contrast a go for half the time they have the license for the park?

2 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

I think it was just that you couldn’t buy a weekend ticket, and half the site was shut off, for the Presents gigs?

I was thinking more of them being completely different festivals - different websites, booking policy, branding, etc - that just happen to use the same stages. There’s clearly not enough (what we’d consider on here to be) ‘APE’ acts to fill 6 headline slots each year, so why not give something with more of a contrast a go for half the time they have the license for the park?

Do you mean like Festival Republic seem to do so well at Finsbury Park?

I think a lot of use agree that they have stretched themselves a bit by doing 6 days. But even in year 1 Catfish did not really sit that well with the others. The problem with separating the weekends off is that it is openly admitting you got it wrong in the first place.

1 minute ago, VanderlyleTea said:

So are we guessing it’s almost definitely Bombay Bicycle Club? Just seen that efests has got them as TBC (apologies, may be late to this news).

We reckon they would headline? 

Absolutely no way they’re headlining this alone. 

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've done a day on each weekend both years so far (and will likely do the same this year).

The difference between the weekends is the first one has 1-2 more stages which are removed for the second weekend. This happened both years so the change from 'Presents' to just APE is a branding / messaging thing. It was confusing at the time but it seems they were distinguishing between longer line-ups and shorter even though the timings and everything else is identical. So TLDR: nothing, nowt, nada.

It really does have the feel of BST arrangement rather than a full festival - even if they do do the 'In the neighbourhood' stuff but unless you live in that part of London I don't see why anyone would bother with it.

9 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

It used to be that way before AEG bought the license to use the park. Can’t remember who the previous promoter was but they essentially set up a stage and just had a different festival every weekend - Field Day, Loveboxx, there was an old rock one at one point...

Maybe the 'APE brand' is just something people have made up in their heads and the real point of the festival is to put on cool days on music for a variety of people, perhaps occasionally catering for a more niche crowd on some days. I don't think limiting what headliners they can book is a good idea because they'll run out way too quickly.

Also, bands' touring schedules might not match up so it might not have been possible to get Massive Attack, Kraftwerk and Tame Impala all on the same weekend. As convenient as it would be for some people to have those 3 over one weekend, it's probably better than saying 'one weekend for this type of act and one weekend for others', then missing out on a potentially excellent headliner because they don't fit the criteria

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It used to be that way before AEG bought the license to use the park. Can’t remember who the previous promoter was but they essentially set up a stage and just had a different festival every weekend - Field Day, Loveboxx, there was an old rock one at one point...

It was mostly Mama Group that Live Nation later purchased. They ran LoveBox and High Voltage. But different promoters used the same stage hire and festival site management I think. Like Field Day was Tom Baker/Eat Your Own Ears, a different promoter. 

26 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Maybe the 'APE brand' is just something people have made up in their heads and the real point of the festival is to put on cool days on music for a variety of people, perhaps occasionally catering for a more niche crowd on some days. I don't think limiting what headliners they can book is a good idea because they'll run out way too quickly.

No, it's all branded APE, it's on their website and everything...