All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

£45 ain't awful for that given that's just a bit more than community. Undercard probably needs a few more decent names when it gets padded out but it'll probably sell an okay amount of tickets. Not an inspirational lineup by any means and naturally lots of people here won't be interested in the slightest but not every lineup is going to be to your taste (just remember, as much as it might piss you off, there are gonna be a load of people who see this, look at the other days announced and think 'who the hell are massive attack?') 

Just now, atomised said:

It has already been stated above that the Kooks and Wombats day is around £45 which isnt bad 

I am at work and started typing ages ago and got side tracked and had to deal with work 🙂and just hit submit after loads of other people had posted. So, I did not see the additional names added or the price. At £45 that's a decent lineup with Tom Walker thrown in as well. I live in Hackney and about 5% of the population model their look on him.

I know it is not a lineup that will go down well on here but at that price I think it will find a market and that's pretty much all a promoter will be interested in.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Right? Bring back LCD Soundsystem, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Phoenix. :P

They've been partying like it's 2008 for a while now and have exhausted the decent stuff from that year.

We're only a Fratellis away from recreating the infamous Glastonbury 2008 Friday...

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If they had five decent nights and needed to cobble something together to round it up to six it wouldn't be much of an issue, but they've still got two more nights to announce... God alone knows what they're going to come up with next.

I was thinking that as I just can not see why they could not have announced Kooks/Wombats early if they were part of the overall plans. I am starting to think that the other 2 days might not go down well on here either.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

We're only a Fratellis away from recreating the infamous Glastonbury 2008 Friday...

They are penciled in as co-headliners on the first weekend 😊

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So people prefer the Tories, Brexit and the Kooks to Labour, freedom of movement and Massive Attack? 

I despair for this country...

That's a bit harsh on the Kooks, its one thing to say their songs are lame or they are naff live but you cant lump them in with Brexit and the Tories.

Maybe, I need to go back and listen to them again. maybe they have hidden meaning in their early stuff paving the way to Brexit.

She moves in her own way, Moving on to better things, those happy pop tunes. I wonder did they secretly engineer brexit...........

1 minute ago, Dales said:

That's a bit harsh on the Kooks, its one thing to say their songs are lame or they are naff live but you cant lump them in with Brexit and the Tories.

Maybe, I need to go back and listen to them again. maybe they have hidden meaning in their early stuff paving the way to Brexit.

She moves in her own way, Moving on to better things, those happy pop tunes. I wonder did they secretly engineer brexit...........

1 minute ago, Dales said:

I'm not suggesting they engineered Brexit, I'm saying that APE has put on three highly respected bands with albums that will still be listened to in 50 years. And I would despair if forgettable indie from yesteryear (Kooks) outsold these bands, just as I expected some people to vote for the Tories/BXT but had hoped that they would not be in the majority. 

49 minutes ago, vahri said:

Where did people get the £2.50 tickets last year? :)

I think some of the sponsors had "free" tickets with a £2.50 admin fee.

Before that, there were offers (buy one get one free - from All Points East themselves) and Dice had an unspecified number of competition tickets, handed out to pretty much everyone for some of the days.

I'm sure as soon as people find out about any such offers this year, they'll be shared on here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

APE calling this INDIE EXCELLENCE is an insult to REM, Pixies, The Cure, Radiohead, Nirvana etc. Woeful.

I think you’re using a very different definition of indie tbh. I wouldn’t call any of those indie and I don’t think APE would either. I know it’s not clear what exactly the definition is but I’m genuinely curious, do you see alternative rock and indie rock as the same thing? 

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

I think you’re using a very different definition of indie tbh. I wouldn’t call any of those indie and I don’t think APE would either. I know it’s not clear what exactly the definition is but I’m genuinely curious, do you see alternative rock and indie rock as the same thing? 

I'm just thinking back to all the indie nights I've been to and the sorts of music that gets played there. Agree with previous post this is getting into overthinking territory!

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm not suggesting they engineered Brexit, I'm saying that APE has put on three highly respected bands with albums that will still be listened to in 50 years. And I would despair if forgettable indie from yesteryear (Kooks) outsold these bands, just as I expected some people to vote for the Tories/BXT but had hoped that they would not be in the majority. 

You can't always get what you want but if you try sometime you find you get what you need ☺️

36 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So people prefer the Tories, Brexit and the Kooks to Labour, freedom of movement and Massive Attack? 

I despair for this country...

Once again, if I didnt have limited reactions, you'd get another upvote. :)

Im only EVER gonna go to an AEG event if there are discounted tickets. However, if the Kooks are big enough nowadays to sell even half of the capacity of this, that is a damning indictment of the state of music. They were MOR indie nonsense first time round. The fact there seems to be a revival for this unambitious blandness is baffling!

But that is my opinion. I would argue it doenst seem to 'fit' with what I thought of as the All Points East 'ethos', but then again maybe I misconstrued what I thought APE was about. Which is fine. My mistake.

I wouldnt go for £2.50 for that Kooks thing. Not even if they gave me £2.50 AND train fare from MK. AND dark fruits cider money. 

I assume some would though. Good luck to you all. I only sujggest maybe trying to listen to something better? Like a fart in a bucket of water?

• Downvote 1

How is this a festival lineup in 2020? What is going on I feel like I'm losing my mind, The Kooks and The Wombats... Is that what's popular at the moment? 

I would say I feel old for being out of the loop but then surely these bands weren't even that big when I saw them in 2008 after releasing their biggest albums??? How are they still going? So many questions

2 minutes ago, the_arsonist said:

How is this a festival lineup in 2020? What is going on I feel like I'm losing my mind, The Kooks and The Wombats... Is that what's popular at the moment? 

I would say I feel old for being out of the loop but then surely these bands weren't even that big when I saw them in 2008 after releasing their biggest albums??? How are they still going? So many questions

I'm equally baffled. It's like I've entered an alternative universe.

4 minutes ago, the_arsonist said:

Feel like the rise of streaming has quite a bit to do with bands like this having a resurgence. While previously they would've faded into obscurity, some bands end up having a few big songs that end up being thrown into a tonne of playlists and then a generation of people who were too young to see them when they were initially 'big' want to see them. Bands like the kooks and the Wombats are almost gateways into newer bands for a lot of people my age and below. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Just now, NerdsNatterings said:

Feel like the rise of streaming has quite a bit to do with bands like this having a resurgence. While previously they would've faded into obscurity, some bands end up having a few big songs that end up being thrown into a tonne of playlists and then a generation of people who were too young to see them when they were initially 'big' want to see them. Bands like the kooks and the Wombats are almost gateways into newer bands for a lot of people my age and below. 

Very good point.