All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

what are people reckoning to Vampire Weekend being on the second weekend? (sorry if its been discussed already) I figure could happen as aren't those days often supposedly "curated" by the artist? V.W support a lot of up and coming acts etc. Also are close with Bon Iver / Vernon who played last year.  Although in a time crisis episode from last year E. mentioned turning down some fests for reasons that "go beyond a paycheck" (along those lines). Maybe the big American Express, samsung, big corp presence is a turn off . 

Edited by Jne___

55 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

what are people reckoning to Vampire Weekend being on the second weekend? (sorry if its been discussed already) I figure could happen as aren't those days often supposedly "curated" by the artist? V.W support a lot of up and coming acts etc. Also are close with Bon Iver / Vernon who played last year.  Although in a time crisis episode from last year E. mentioned turning down some fests for reasons that "go beyond a paycheck" (along those lines). Maybe the big American Express, samsung, big corp presence is a turn off . 

Think they are only available the first weekend but could still play I reckon 

1 minute ago, DarthSaul said:

They're hardly going to call their own lineup that they're trying to sell tickets for INDIE MEDIOCRITY are they 

They could market it in a different way that doesn't open themselves up to mockery e.g. the broader festival experience, band revival aspect, rather than positioning these bands as among the best the indie scene has produced.

I don't see what all the fuss is about booking the Kooks. APE have booked another headliner who had released their best material years ago. Massive & Kraftwerk are in the same boat other then their work is deemed to be more worthy, credible, arty & groundbreaking but its still just some old bands playing old music. (I like Massive Attack & Kraftwerk by the way) but I don't like music snobbery.

I can't see why people are that bothered by a festival they don't want to buy tickets for booking bands they don't like. If you wanted APE to be more leftfield/edgy etc then maybe you should have bought more tickets to those days in the past.

As others have stated, I can't see how this day will sell any less then the other days. It might not be standard APE fair or what a lot of its regulars normally go for but APE is a business and if they think this will sell then why not book those bands. I am fairly sure it will do better then BMTH & Christina. 

I would imagine APE's goals for this year is to make a bit of money and knock most if not all the promotions on the head. It's one thing to give some tickets to sponsors/worthy causes and to locals to keep them on side. However, to do whole scale discounting like last year and get to the stage where even people who like your booking policy don't want to buy your tickets is a little stupid.

For those who are horrified by the Kooks & Wombats, I would suggest you don't go. If you want to keep the festival your own little precious full of curious acts then actually buy tickets for Massive & Kraftwerk and don't just hold out for offers. Because, if the Kooks sell well and the others don't then I think you all know what will happen next year.

The thing with most APE lineups is that you can see almost all of those people at London venues anyway headlining the like of the Roundhouse and generally fare cheaper then APE tickets.

The biggest issue for me with the Kooks is likely to be the tickets price. Chances are it will be double the price of seeing them last year at Community. I am not sure how they will convince people to day so much more for a day that when the under card is added may look like Community but for twice the price.

Whether to go or not is not an issue for me as I am off to see Guns n Roses that day. I am curious to see who will play the 31st as I think the Kooks booking has thrown open the doors to almost anyone. Secretly hoping its Gerry so this place will go in to meltdown. That would be a nice mixed weekend for me. Already have Kwaftwerk, GNR tickets booked and so just waiting on that last Sunday to see how eclectic I can make that weekend.

Sorry for rambling, I did not really notice how much I had typed but one final comment.

Why did they wait so long to announce the Kooks & Wombats?

Just now, Dales said:

I don't see what all the fuss is about booking the Kooks. APE have booked another headliner who had released their best material years ago. Massive & Kraftwerk are in the same boat other then their work is deemed to be more worthy, credible, arty & groundbreaking but its still just some old bands playing old music. (I like Massive Attack & Kraftwerk by the way) but I don't like music snobbery.

There was probably 5 people wanting The Kooks to start playing music again, and about 1,000 people wanting to here Naive live 

2 minutes ago, Dales said:

The biggest issue for me with the Kooks is likely to be the tickets price. Chances are it will be double the price of seeing them last year at Community. I am not sure how they will convince people to day so much more for a day that when the under card is added may look like Community but for twice the price.

It has already been stated above that the Kooks and Wombats day is around £45 which isnt bad