All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Who said they should scrap the festival because they booked the kooks?

I think it is reasonable to say that as they are giving away so many free tickets (I've never been offered close to so many for any other festival), every single year and looks like more again, the viability of the festival must be in question, at least in its current state. As you say, they need to cut back on the number of days.

Me. None of these days are selling out 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Me. None of these days are selling out 

Really. That didn't seem to be what you were saying.

It seemed like you were saying (and are indeed saying above) that collectively the festival is struggling to sell tickets across six days and could be scrapped rather than because they announce one single poor day, they should pack up and go home. 

55 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think this festival will eventually be scrapped. Which is a shame as it had a good premise. 

Booking all the bands that won’t play Glastonbury because they want their full fee, but no other major UK festival will touch them as headliners. It was fun while it lasted.

I can see it being likelier it gets condensed to a 3 day bill as it feels like the 6 day one is an over-extension, even if there is talk above the licence may not sit that way.

1 hour ago, JBarbour said:

I can't wait for scenes when this outsells the Tame day and all the cool kids lose their shit :lol:

That would be quite something. And probably not unexpected if it has a proper late 00's/early 10's indie bill, as that stuff seems to be making a comeback of late.

1 minute ago, Big Bellend said:

What 16 year old is going to think that lineup looks shit?

Not. A. Single. One.

What 16 year old is going to come all the way to London, book a hotel, or whatever just to see the kooks?

I live nearby which means I could probably decide to go to APE a few hours before, but if you don’t live local it’s not exactly an easy festival to do on the cheap.

Just now, Matt42 said:

What 16 year old is going to come all the way to London, book a hotel, or whatever just to see the kooks?

I live nearby which means I could probably decide to go to APE a few hours before, but if you don’t live local it’s not exactly an easy festival to do on the cheap.

Sounds like a massive issue in a city of almost 9 million people.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

For what it’s worth ive told a few mates in Manchester about this and they’re already planning to go down and they’re about 18-19. I know others around that age who would 100% go just for that day, just like the same people did for the Catfish day a couple years ago. This definitely caters to a crowd as much as that did

8 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Massive coup getting the Buggster to play 3 down. Tame Impala & Massive Attack are recent Other stage headliners - Buggy boy too!

(in all seriousness, watch there be no cheap tickets for this one, eh)

I reckon I would get billed on a lineup higher than jake bugg these days

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Booking all the bands that won’t play Glastonbury because they want their full fee, but no other major UK festival will touch them as headliners. It was fun while it lasted.

This description applies to literally zero of the headliners this festival has ever booked 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I think it is reasonable to say that as they are giving away so many free tickets (I've never been offered close to so many for any other festival), every single year and looks like more again, the viability of the festival must be in question, at least in its current state. As you say, they need to cut back on the number of days.

They gave away tickets for four days of one year, and two of those days it was fairly limited. Didn’t happen at all 2018. I doubt it will happen 2020 as that’s just a terrible business model.

It’s got a five year lease, ten days per year. They’re going to keep going after big names that will do the numbers and then lower their sights as time goes on, like they’ve done here. Unless it was so late that they couldn’t get anyone even close then it’s likely to have six days of music until 2022 at least. The overall finances of the company is not contingent on this at all.

Finally, not sure why people get so hung up on it when nobody here is personally affected by the finances of AEG Live. Also, I really don’t get why anyone who can admit they don’t know anyone who likes either band - both arena bands in London - think that a festival first headlined by LCD Soundsystem is dead because of this. I think this will sell better than Kraftwerk, sad as that is. Ultimately I guess it’s the lack of names that is eating away at us, which is fair.

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think this festival will eventually be scrapped. Which is a shame as it had a good premise. 

In fairness, 11 out of their 15 announced headliners have all played Glastonbury fairly recently so you wouldn't miss much if it did go.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

not like London is one of the biggest cities in the world or anything...

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They gave away tickets for four days of one year, and two of those days it was fairly limited. Didn’t happen at all 2018. I doubt it will happen 2020 as that’s just a terrible business model.

It has been going 2 years. They have given away tickets for both of those years.

It did in fact also happen in 2018. Got tickets for 3 nights free (and don't work in the industry or anything).

And will happen in 2020 too....

I’m not specifically talking about The Kooks day but I disagree with the its London so it’s fine comments.

Whilst London does have great reach with its population and transport links it doesn’t  mean things will sell regardless, you literally have hundreds of other thing’s competing for the Londoners attention on any given night let alone the amount of day festivals it has during the summer. I was going to do one of the £2.50 days last year but it was on the same day as Camden Rocks and the Champions League final so I chose not to.

6 hours ago, xxialac said:

It has been going 2 years. They have given away tickets for both of those years.

It did in fact also happen in 2018. Got tickets for 3 nights free (and don't work in the industry or anything).

And will happen in 2020 too....

It definitely didn’t happen on a large scale in 2018 then. There was no mention of it at the time on a certain festival-obsessed website so that one is hardly damning.