All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

49 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Manics are doing  stadium gigs, they’ll either headline or not play. 

They are indeed doing stadium gigs supporting the killers  not sure that makes them definite headliners here. 

Their only 2 headline shows I can find are Halifax piece hall and camper calling festival 

If I'm missing something let me know 

Edited by atomised

4 minutes ago, atomised said:

They are indeed doing stadium gigs supporting the killers  not sure that makes them definite headliners here. 

Their only 2 headline shows I can find are Halifax piece hall and camper calling festival 

If I'm missing something let me know 

Sorry I meant in general they are big enough to sometimes do stadium gigs. 
Which rules them out of being sub as APE is lower capacity than a stadium. 

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Sorry I meant in general they are big enough to sometimes do stadium gigs. 
Which rules them out of being sub as APE is lower capacity than a stadium. 

Not sure they are now other than in wales  the fact they are supporting at a couple of stadiums that hold around 30000 suggests their star has fallen somewhat.

I think they would be a good fit personally with a decent undercard or maybe sharing top billing with stereophonics 

2 hours ago, atomised said:

Not sure they are now other than in wales  the fact they are supporting at a couple of stadiums that hold around 30000 suggests their star has fallen somewhat.

I think they would be a good fit personally with a decent undercard or maybe sharing top billing with stereophonics 

I don't know why but whenever I see Manic Street Preachers or Stereophonics on a festival line up it just cheapens it for me. Neither band have been relevant for the past 10 years and from what I've seen at fests or heard from friends they just don't sell anymore. No one is going to see a co-head of those two for £60/70 and go what a must see line up I must buy tickets. 

It'd be embarrassing to have bands of that calibre headlining alongside Tame Impala (Recent Coachella headliner), Kraftwerk (One of the most respected electronic acts and even 40 years after their heyday a huge draw and respectable booking) and Massive Attack (a hugely influential band who helped shape the music of the past 30 years). All Points East regardless of whether they always hit have tried to encourage new headliners or aim to get the best in the business. Not has beens who for me scream dying festival.

I think APE have messed up in leaving everything so late this year. I don't see what ace card they have up their sleeve unless there are some huge reunions just round the corner but I really hope they do not drop to Stereophonics/Kooks/Manic Street Preachers. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

I don't know why but whenever I see Manic Street Preachers or Stereophonics on a festival line up it just cheapens it for me. Neither band have been relevant for the past 10 years and from what I've seen at fests or heard from friends they just don't sell anymore. No one is going to see a co-head of those two for £60/70 and go what a must see line up I must buy tickets. 

It'd be embarrassing to have bands of that calibre headlining alongside Tame Impala (Recent Coachella headliner), Kraftwerk (One of the most respected electronic acts and even 40 years after their heyday a huge draw and respectable booking) and Massive Attack (a hugely influential band who helped shape the music of the past 30 years). All Points East regardless of whether they always hit have tried to encourage new headliners or aim to get the best in the business. Not has beens who for me scream dying festival.

I think APE have messed up in leaving everything so late this year. I don't see what ace card they have up their sleeve unless there are some huge reunions just round the corner but I really hope they do not drop to Stereophonics/Kooks/Manic Street Preachers. 

I was merely thinking in terms of size and.potentially shifting tickets  I know.stereophonics shift tickets on arena tours and I'm with you on thinking APE have dropped the ball a little this year. It's a struggle to.see who they might get if they need to fill 2 weekends still. I assume there is a long term.goal to establish this festival but it being relatively niche it's a small pool of acts of suitable size 

18 hours ago, xxialac said:

For all the criticism, they have three very solid days out. So far, so good. And you don't know how good/how well curated the remaining days are.

And of course they want to announce already. Something is obviously holding them back and there are a range of very valid reasons.

You are probably right and once they do announce it  will  be obvious what the issue was holding things up. I would be more convinced if it was just 1 or even 2 days as it could be an issue with one or two artists. However, to still have 3 days not released is frankly odd, it sort of suggests that there is something bigger going on. Anyway, we should know more soon goodor bad.

4 hours ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

Stereophonics have sold out their arena tour & have a number 1 album last year so still relevant but I do understand your point on letting a new headliner breakthrough 

8 hours ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

Agree with all your other points and they choose to play some crap festivals but please don't put the Manics in the same category as the Kooks etc . I agree the quality of their output has diminished a lot but they have written some of the greatest albums ever (e.g. Holy Bible) as well as classic songs (Motorcycle Emptiness, Design for Life) that last the test of time. And they're good live and plough through the hits. Manic Street Preachers double headliner with someone like Placebo would hardly be scraping the barrel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, xxialac said:

Agree with all your other points and they choose to play some crap festivals but please don't put the Manics in the same category as the Kooks etc . I agree the quality of their output has diminished a lot but they have written some of the greatest albums ever (e.g. Holy Bible) as well as classic songs (Motorcycle Emptiness, Design for Life) that last the test of time. And they're good live and plough through the hits. Manic Street Preachers double headliner with someone like Placebo would hardly be scraping the barrel.

100% agree. I'll be the first to admit they're probably not big enough to headline something like this but to say massive Attack are one of the most influential bands of the past 30 years and Manics aren't shows a lack of awareness about how influential they really were.

35 minutes ago, fingers_mark said:

And with, Christine and the Queens last year, even that proved to not be enough.

Well apparently The Prodigy were supposed to be playing Glastonbury before Keith’s death so the theory is that they slotted in above Christine, so was always a bit of a gamble on APE’s part having her headline. 

NIN were supposed to be doing this before Trent put the tour on hold right? So suppose that’s at least one act they’ve had to find a replacement for.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, fingers_mark said:

Acts for this venue capacity should be, at least, of the Other Stage Glastonbury headliner size.

To say they nicked the venue off Field Day, I don’t think that necessarily has to be the case. Anyone would realise they’d run out of names sharpish if they had six acts of Other Stage headline at a minimum every year.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

To say they nicked the venue off Field Day, I don’t think that necessarily has to be the case. Anyone would realise they’d run out of names sharpish if they had six acts of Other Stage headline at a minimum every year.

I think.with APE it's much more the bill as a whole rather than a big name headliner.  I'm still unsure who it could be now though. 

Of those announced so far I'm interested in Kraftwerk. Not really listened to much Tame Impala but appreciate their critical acclaim. Massive Attack I've seen too many times over the years. Good offers could get me to all 3 but none are having me reaching into my pockets 

30 minutes ago, foolee said:

Have Biffy been ruled out of this or are we thinking they’ll play their own shows?

I think they're the most likely headliner we have atm (not including the 2 bits of info that may or may not be headline slots). Saw they did another teaser this morning including the name (I think) for their new album so an announcement and subsequent shows have to be very imminent. They make sense for the 2nd Saturday too.

Edited by The Martini Police