All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

26 minutes ago, daviddaviddaviddavid said:

I think a lot of Americans are unaware of how much of a c**t he is. I know a few members of Broken Social Scene did something with him on that covers album and then publically said they didn't know when made aware.

Same with Billie Joe Armstrong 

I cant see any uk artist risking the backlash of supporting a racist in the UK or APE risking a shitstorm on someone unreliable and not a ticket seller.

38 minutes ago, oxygentleman said:

As Grumpyraver already stated that still doesn't affect why the show couldn't be announced now if she was playing. 

If they aim at people who are already going to see her this month, if makes sense to wait after the shows. Why would they buy a new ticket if they haven't seen the show yet? Then they might forgot about it. I would think regional dates are important too.

Edited by emmanuel

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Well if he can be booked for Wembley, then isn't that proof that he has a critical mass of supporters in 2020?

I don't agree with his views but I guess enough people do or can dissemble the personal views from the artist.

Hes very much not sold out any of his dates at all. Not even standing.

50 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

it’s interesting that they have made another big Twitter push today. Just announce the rest of the dates and people will make a decision. Until then they loosing punters to other festivals or holidays every day. 

Seen a few big London posters around as well for it. 

3 hours ago, daviddaviddaviddavid said:

I think a lot of Americans are unaware of how much of a c**t he is. I know a few members of Broken Social Scene did something with him on that covers album and then publically said they didn't know when made aware.

I know Interpol got slagged off a lot by UK/Ireland fans for booking a support slot of Morrissey's last US tour, and Brandon Flowers also got similar criticism of him when talking up The Smiths in an interview after their Glastonbury slot.

I'm aware it is possible to separate art from toxic artist, particularly as a lot has been made by Johnny Marr to try and detoxify them as a band. But then I'm equally aware that the festival would receive a lot of criticism from people for booking him, along with an associated and tedious counter backlash.

9 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Brandon Flowers also got similar criticism of him when talking up The Smiths in an interview after their Glastonbury slot.

Ironic really considering Flowers is a member of the LDS church, a religious organisation steeped in homophobic, racist and antisemitic views - & he willingly and directly contributes 10% of his income to this cause. Perhaps he should be criticised for that more so than liking a few tunes by the Smith's. 

In no way am I defending Morrissey's bigoted political views, but it does seem odd that the general masses pick and choose what to be outraged by.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

In no way am I defending Morrissey's bigoted political views, but it does seem odd that the general masses pick and choose what to be outraged by.

To be fair, I had no idea about BF but Morrissey went out of his way to make sure we all knew his views. I know ignorance is no excuse but if probably have done the same and only criticised him. 

If Biffy are on the album cycle (album drops in May) and they aren't playing any domestic festivals thus far (note no Scottish dates outside Big Weekend, which is as much promotional as anything else), it might suggest they're likely sizing up for an arena tour. They haven't played any since 2016 mind.

They've been getting new touring cabs for their amps recently too, so it sounds like they're getting ready to hit the road soon. And if they're investing in an arena production for the rest of the UK, they'd probably wanna get use out of it in London too, when they know they can fill Wembley or the o2.

So idk, I wouldn't call it impossible but not super likely, I'd guess.

Morrissey's views, as repugnant as some are, are not really that outside what a lot of people think. That it is affecting him booking shows seems sad, he's not done anything illegal. A lot of pearl clutching to be honest.

The lead singer of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is a self-confessed nonce and nobody seems to wet themselves when they headline festivals. 

• Downvote 9

20 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

Morrissey's views, as repugnant as some are, are not really that outside what a lot of people think. That it is affecting him booking shows seems sad, he's not done anything illegal. A lot of pearl clutching to be honest.

The lead singer of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is a self-confessed nonce and nobody seems to wet themselves when they headline festivals. 

You can't possibly be serious?  The man openly support For Britain and once said ""The word ['racist'] is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race—does this make everyone racist?".  He has a long history of making racist remarks.  I'm not sure how any of that is "not really outside of what a lot of people think"? 

Just now, WStoner said:

You can't possibly be serious?  The man openly support For Britain and once said ""The word ['racist'] is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race—does this make everyone racist?".  He has a long history of making racist remarks.  I'm not sure how any of that is "not really outside of what a lot of people think"? 

Most of the country is racist and/or willfully engages in the support or promotion of racist institutions and power structures. 

Most people on the political right and centre right are at heart ethnonationalists, as Morrissey is, so would support the statement from him that you quoted above.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, SalviaPlath said:

Most of the country is racist and/or willfully engages in the support or promotion of racist institutions and power structures. 

Most people on the political right and centre right are at heart ethnonationalists, as Morrissey is, so would support the statement from him that you quoted above.

Ah that makes it okay then

• Upvote 1