All Points East Festival 2020

5 hours ago, shaun Mulhern said:

So out of Tame Impala, Kraftwerk & Massive Attack who are you most looking forward to seeing or are you waiting for the next three headliners 

I probably won't be going to any of them (depends on other stuff) but... Tame Impala show is probably the most exciting one. They've got a new album coming out so should be a new production. Whereas Kraftwerk and Massive Attack will probably just be doing the same sets they always do...

7 hours ago, shaun Mulhern said:

So out of Tame Impala, Kraftwerk & Massive Attack who are you most looking forward to seeing or are you waiting for the next three headliners 

Kraftwerk are the only ones I've bought a ticket for. I've been trying to catch them and Iggy Pop for a while, so the double and decent under-card ticks a lot of boxes for me. I'd love to be at both of the others too, but not willing to drop that much money on potential cheap/free gigs at this point unless they're absolute must-sees.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I probably won't be going to any of them (depends on other stuff) but... Tame Impala show is probably the most exciting one. They've got a new album coming out so should be a new production. Whereas Kraftwerk and Massive Attack will probably just be doing the same sets they always do...

Massive Attack mix it up all the time. Their first gig is not until June - plenty of time to set up something special for these new headline shows. And they're seriously due a new album, wouldn't rule out new material.

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Massive Attack mix it up all the time. Their first gig is not until June - plenty of time to set up something special for these new headline shows. And they're seriously due a new album, wouldn't rule out new material.

Oh, I swear I read somewhere that it's going to be another Mezzanine set. Not necessarily a bad thing mind you

43 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Think someone speculated that it might be but it makes no sense to do Mezzanine sets again, which they were doing a year ago on a different tour.

Ah, it's because if you go on the APE site, the bio for Massive Attack says "An extraordinary collaboration connecting the dark, intense music and visual work of Robert Del Naja of Massive Attack with the thought-provoking vision of documentary filmmaker Adam Curtis."

Mezzanine is definitely "dark", and Adam Curtis did the visuals for the Mezzanine tour. I know they did it last year but it wouldn't be THAT odd to do it again, surely? One year doing it at their own shows, another year doing it at festivals

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Ah, it's because if you go on the APE site, the bio for Massive Attack says "An extraordinary collaboration connecting the dark, intense music and visual work of Robert Del Naja of Massive Attack with the thought-provoking vision of documentary filmmaker Adam Curtis."

Mezzanine is definitely "dark", and Adam Curtis did the visuals for the Mezzanine tour. I know they did it last year but it wouldn't be THAT odd to do it again, surely? One year doing it at their own shows, another year doing it at festivals

The exact same wording was used routinely 7 years ago (!) to describe one of their collabs and which had nothing to do with Mezzanine.

http://www.self-titledmag.com/massive-attack-co-founder-revisits-street-art-roots-with-limited-coffee-table-book/

I think it's just a lazy press release placeholder...

Fully expect Massive Attack to do something different and a greatest hits setis more likely than Mezzanine. Maybe they'll theme the visuals around the environment?

Don’t know if you can draw conclusions for APE, but Best Kept Secret communicated the following about the Massive Attack show: “This show will draw from the full gamut of Massive Attack’s extensive catalog, from iconic debut Blue Lines to Heligoland.”

19 hours ago, shaun Mulhern said:

Hoping to head down for Tame Impala and Massive Attack, but won't be getting tickets til much closer (whilst hoping for free/cheap ones). 

Relies on me convincing my mate to do Massive Attack though. He's on board for Tame, but I'm not sure I want to do one without the other. 

22 minutes ago, RaphPH said:

Just wild speculation here

Strokes have announced many many interspersed tour dates and festival dates - no UK date as of yet (heavily rumoured to be Reading fest) - could they be coming back to APE after the fiasco of last year? Here are their tour dates

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheStrokes/wiki/tour_dates

That seems sooo unlikely. 

"Hey mate, the Strokes are playing Vicky Park in May"

"Didn't they play there last year and the sound was terrible?"

"I think so"

"Yeah fuck that, I'm not wasting my money on a ticket"

32 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

That seems sooo unlikely. 

"Hey mate, the Strokes are playing Vicky Park in May"

"Didn't they play there last year and the sound was terrible?"

"I think so"

"Yeah fuck that, I'm not wasting my money on a ticket"

Yeah you'd imagine it would have to come with an apology and a promise of much improved sound. But then people would demand it for free if they bought a ticket last year following an acknowledgement. Can't see it. 

9 hours ago, RaphPH said:

Just wild speculation here

Strokes have announced many many interspersed tour dates and festival dates - no UK date as of yet (heavily rumoured to be Reading fest) - could they be coming back to APE after the fiasco of last year? Here are their tour dates

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheStrokes/wiki/tour_dates

Presumably the fact they did All Points last year makes them a likelier shout for Community at Finsbury Park, particularly as a number of acts you'd expect to play that event have already shown their hand and are playing elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Guy Honeymoon said:

Has there ever been a festival where an act has headlined 2 years in a row? (where that act hasn't organised the festival) 

Tbh I don’t think that matters as much with the London day festivals than it does with the likes of Glasto, I swear the London dance festivals have the same headliners ever year but I might just be ignorant. 

7 hours ago, charlierc said:

Presumably the fact they did All Points last year makes them a likelier shout for Community at Finsbury Park, particularly as a number of acts you'd expect to play that event have already shown their hand and are playing elsewhere.

The festival last headlined by The Kooks? Don't be expecting The Strokes to play that...