All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

If Gorlliaz are back as it seems they are I could see them doing this. Unsure if it's been mentioned.

Gorillaz aren't back, Albarn has just knocked out a quick song for them.

He's touring his Icelandic waterfall project in May so there's zero chance of any Gorillaz live shows this summer.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Gorillaz aren't back, Albarn has just knocked out a quick song for them.

He's touring his Icelandic waterfall project in May so there's zero chance of any Gorillaz live shows this summer.

‘Song Machine is the newest concept from one of the most inventive bands around, with Gorillaz disrupting the paradigm all over again. In direct opposition to the usual traditional recording/single/album release cycle, the band again breaks convention in their own round the back door fashion with the spontaneous delivery of episodes throughout the year.’

Not just a one-off by the sounds of things, but can’t see them playing over the summer in any case.

Just now, stereodista said:

‘Song Machine is the newest concept from one of the most inventive bands around, with Gorillaz disrupting the paradigm all over again. In direct opposition to the usual traditional recording/single/album release cycle, the band again breaks convention in their own round the back door fashion with the spontaneous delivery of episodes throughout the year.’

Not just a one-off by the sounds of things, but can’t see them playing over the summer in any case.

The whole thing with Gorillaz is that Albarn can just collaborate with other artists as and when he feels like it. Sometimes with megastars, sometimes in studios but sometimes he can just knock something out on an iPad. This means he can release music through Gorillaz as and when he wants to.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The whole thing with Gorillaz is that Albarn can just collaborate with other artists as and when he feels like it. Sometimes with megastars, sometimes in studios but sometimes he can just knock something out on an iPad. This means he can release music through Gorillaz as and when he wants to.

Yep, I get that, thanks. 

Doesn’t sound like they’re building up to The Fall mk. II with this one, though. 

9 hours ago, Johndenis said:

I would back up @Dales here, I'm a genuinely big Massive Attack fan, but their heyday was literally 22 years ago.  The undercard to this one looks a bit weak.  Hats off to APE for assembling a bill that's cohesive and not just spewing acts on a poster, Sziget-style. But I think it could do with a few more acts similar to Young Fathers to bolster it.  As others have said I don't care about the profits of a major promoter or how many folk they ultimately get through the gates, but this existing line up wouldn't be quite enough to entice me to travel from Glasgow to London (unlike The National, Nick Cave and Strokes days which I have attended previously).  Same goes for the Kraftwerk and Tame Impala days when looked at in isolation.  It all looks like its spread a bit too thin.  I expect this would be less obvious if it was marketed more as a three day festival rather than a series of standalone gigs.

I'm not sure I buy the 'their heydey was 22 years ago' line. 

Couldn't you say that about any number of enormously popular acts on here - Pearl Jam, Pixies, Nine Inch Nails, Faith No More, Green Day, Rage Against The Machine?

I mean, Beethoven hasn't released any good stuff in 300 years and he's still shifting tickets.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, xxialac said:

I mean, Beethoven hasn't released any good stuff in 300 years and he's still shifting tickets.

Can anyone tell me where I can get cheap tickets for this 'Beethoven' act? I'm hearing a bit of a buzz about them.....

Course, they would do better if they called themselves The Beethoven.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I doubt there's any connection.
Isn't Ypisrock far smaller?

It is but last few years the national and spiritualized have done both and others around size of Jesus and Mary chain, Mogwai have done in previous years. Same with when it was field day, future islands, battles and ride.

but yes, you’re probably right

Edited by daviddaviddaviddavid

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

And are Supergrass ruled out for this on the basis they haven't sold out Alexandra Palace gigs?

They are playing a UK gig in the middle of May...

I think that along with their other announcements for festivals thats probably them out