All Points East Festival 2020

6 hours ago, retromoz said:

could RATM do this?!? 

Asking for a friend....

Probably not. Especially given people are saying they're sticking to the US only due to the election.

That suggestion above of a Biffy/Royal Blood duo would be awesome. And typical of my scheduling luck if it gets announced for May 30th when I'm in Manchester to see The Killers.

6 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Tbh I'm thinking it might just be that Teenage Cancer Trust show at Royal Albert Hall

That would be a good fit. I know some Muse fans got hopeful the show is theirs because of Matt Bellamy saying they might do an RAH gig as one of their only 2020 shows, but if they're going to announce new music and accompanying live dates this week, that would be a good starting block for their return to the live arena.

5 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

What's this utter shite about playing the O2 and not being niche? Since fucking when? I get the sense folk don't know the meaning of the word. 

It's possible to be niche and fill stadiums, let alone arenas 

Tbf most stadium filling bands arguably have their own specific niche.

I hear that description a lot about Depeche Mode in all fairness - that thing about them being the world's biggest cult band surfaces a lot whenever it comes out they've sold out all kinds of outdoor stadiums across Europe.

1 hour ago, AAlex said:

I suppose The Strokes date was only after the cheap tickets as well... shouldnt be in any danger of missing out on Tame Impala by waiting a while then.

Strokes sold out in like March.

3 hours ago, sadimmock said:

None of us really know what APEs economic model is though. I would guess that a band like Massive Attack sell far more of the mega-margin VIP/hospitality packages than someone like Royal Blood would (solely due to age of the fans).

We also have no idea what promises have been made to sponsors/partners like Amex regarding demographics and how much money those deals are worth to the festival. 

They could even model the bar take based on likely audience composition etc...

I’m just guessing that actual ticket sales may be only one factor in how profitable the festival is when all is said and done. 

The thing is despite being a cheaper headliner they have to sell like 20k tickets or something before they turn any profit drinks included or whatever. A super vip package will make 5x more than a normal ticket but they still have to pay the acts their set fees. I reckon all things included compared to audience age and sponsors, variance in vip packages make up not a whole lot of the difference between the different days.

4 minutes ago, shaun Mulhern said:

Shot in the dark but what about MGMT headlining with good supports?

No chance they headline. I actually thought they might support Tame Impala (as they are elsewhere) but Glass Animals got that gig and MGMT are in Japan. Not impossible they're a sub for someone on weekend 2 but doesn't look likely.

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

MGMT would be an incredibly weak booking, is anyone remotely arsed by them these days?

I'd completely forgotten about them but they were ace at Mad Cool, well I thought so. 

Still would be a massively weak headliner but a lot of fun on the supporting bill. 

19 hours ago, AAlex said:

I suppose The Strokes date was only after the cheap tickets as well... shouldnt be in any danger of missing out on Tame Impala by waiting a while then.

18 hours ago, gfa said:

Strokes sold out in like March.

Yeah I thought The Strokes was the only one last year that didn't end up going to the cheap tickets promo.

14 minutes ago, JoeR said:

A curve ball - but Liam Gallagher announcement tomorrow & a big hole in his touring schedule around All Points East. Could be a dark fruits day with likes of Kasabian/Richard Ashcroft & Noels High Flying Birds in support? ;)

Yeah Noel Gallagher and Kasabian are going to support Liam Gallagher.....🤡🤡

16 minutes ago, JoeR said:

A curve ball - but Liam Gallagher announcement tomorrow & a big hole in his touring schedule around All Points East. Could be a dark fruits day with likes of Kasabian/Richard Ashcroft & Noels High Flying Birds in support? ;)

hugely unlikely he'll be playing shows for AEG this summer when he's already announced shows with Live Nation.

32 minutes ago, JoeR said:

A curve ball - but Liam Gallagher announcement tomorrow & a big hole in his touring schedule around All Points East. Could be a dark fruits day

Far to popular. Other than The Strokes/Catfish APE tend to have more "unique" acts as headliners .I will avoid the word "niche" as it will only get me in trouble 😄. With now 2.5 worth of headliners announced over the 3 editions, a pattern of what a likely APE headliner is and is not is and the sort of under card is starting to appear. A bit left field, alternative, unique etc but not "niche" 😊 or as one of my friends describes my taste in music "Weird S**t"

Based on previous headliners LG just does not look like APE material. Although, would not look out of place in a festival with The Strokes/Catfish.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:34 AM, xxialac said:

Massive Attack niche? The band who played the O2 arena last year?

One of the most important bands of the last 30 years with several classic albums and enormously influential. Have also been very successful touring.

And they've played around 1,000 gigs but because of 1 gig, you think some people at one Spanish festival once will be put off coming to APE? Plus we only heard one side of the story..

I would back up @Dales here, I'm a genuinely big Massive Attack fan, but their heyday was literally 22 years ago.  The undercard to this one looks a bit weak.  Hats off to APE for assembling a bill that's cohesive and not just spewing acts on a poster, Sziget-style. But I think it could do with a few more acts similar to Young Fathers to bolster it.  As others have said I don't care about the profits of a major promoter or how many folk they ultimately get through the gates, but this existing line up wouldn't be quite enough to entice me to travel from Glasgow to London (unlike The National, Nick Cave and Strokes days which I have attended previously).  Same goes for the Kraftwerk and Tame Impala days when looked at in isolation.  It all looks like its spread a bit too thin.  I expect this would be less obvious if it was marketed more as a three day festival rather than a series of standalone gigs.

• Like 1