All Points East Festival 2020

SomeoneListeningIn

3 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

Do you think this will sell out? Hyde Park was lacking but they sold out the O2 quite easily.

Almost certainly not. Great lineup but not as commercially oriented as the other days and the main acts were touring last year.

Free tickets to Massive Attack beckons...

• Upvote 1

I'm not exactly blown out of the water with this one and for me at least its the weakest headliner so far. I would think that Tame Impala & Kraftwerk will be better sellers. Massive Attack seem a bit niche to me. They have also probably alienated some of their own fan base by refusing to go on last year at Mad Cool.

I'm glad they are on this day as I have already made plans for that day but if I had not this would certainly be one to hold out for freebies for. I saw Young Fathers a few years ago at Metronome Festival. They are well worth seeing and not to be missed if you go.

1 hour ago, Dales said:

I'm not exactly blown out of the water with this one and for me at least its the weakest headliner so far. I would think that Tame Impala & Kraftwerk will be better sellers. Massive Attack seem a bit niche to me. They have also probably alienated some of their own fan base by refusing to go on last year at Mad Cool.

I'm glad they are on this day as I have already made plans for that day but if I had not this would certainly be one to hold out for freebies for. I saw Young Fathers a few years ago at Metronome Festival. They are well worth seeing and not to be missed if you go.

Massive Attack niche? The band who played the O2 arena last year?

One of the most important bands of the last 30 years with several classic albums and enormously influential. Have also been very successful touring.

And they've played around 1,000 gigs but because of 1 gig, you think some people at one Spanish festival once will be put off coming to APE? Plus we only heard one side of the story..

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, DR OK said:

Royal Blood doing This is Tomorrow on the 22nd. Must be well in with a shot for doing this as their southern gig unless they're doing Boardmasters and Y Not (e.g. foals UK festival tour last year)

Sat 30th or 31st 

They're doing Y Not if the hints are to be believed.

51 minutes ago, xxialac said:

One of the most important bands of the last 30 years with several classic albums and enormously influential. Have also been very successful touring.

And they've played around 1,000 gigs but because of 1 gig, you think some people at one Spanish festival once will be put off coming to APE? Plus we only heard one side of the story..

And by all accounts Mad Cool are a very unprofessional outfit. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I don't disagree with them being an important and influential group and they have a devoted following. However, what they do not have is a general appeal to the mass public. Even before, we get more headliners at APE or other London outdoor gigs/events my opinion and it is only my opinion. Is that, I would rather spend my money on GNR, Tame Impala, Kwaftwerk, The 1975 or Pearl Jam. I am sure that list will increase as more events get announced. I also bet that most people could name alternative gigs that they would prefer over this Massive Attack headline show.

I think the problem on this forum and forums in general is that its easy to interpret our own likes and dislikes with what makes sense as a business. Bottom line this is a business.

I like massive attack and have a lot of 12" vinyl by them. However, I can separate my liking for them from what I think of them as a choice of headliner. I just don't think they are the best choice for a day ticket festival in a crowded market. I bet there are more people waiting for The 1975 Finsbury Park tickets to go on sale then this. 

Bottom line if I was not already doing something on that day, there is no way I would buy a ticket and I like Massive Attack! 

35 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

And by all accounts Mad Cool are a very unprofessional outfit. 

So I have heard but still poor to let Your Own Fans down as they would be the only people bothered by the decision. It's one thing to cancel because you are sick/late etc. But to cancel because of sound bleed from another stage. It's a festival, a group of their experience must know this happens on stages at festivals.

Toys and Pram come to mind and that's from some one who like them!

I talked to a friend this morning and told him about Massive Attack and first thing he said "There those P****** who refused to go on at that concert" He is not a fan and did not know much about them or even which concert, or which country" I know not to make the mistake of interpreting my own friends/work colleagues as being a typical cross section of the wider population but .........................

14 minutes ago, Dales said:

I don't disagree with them being an important and influential group and they have a devoted following. However, what they do not have is a general appeal to the mass public. Even before, we get more headliners at APE or other London outdoor gigs/events my opinion and it is only my opinion. Is that, I would rather spend my money on GNR, Tame Impala, Kwaftwerk, The 1975 or Pearl Jam. I am sure that list will increase as more events get announced. I also bet that most people could name alternative gigs that they would prefer over this Massive Attack headline show.

I think the problem on this forum and forums in general is that its easy to interpret our own likes and dislikes with what makes sense as a business. Bottom line this is a business.

I like massive attack and have a lot of 12" vinyl by them. However, I can separate my liking for them from what I think of them as a choice of headliner. I just don't think they are the best choice for a day ticket festival in a crowded market. I bet there are more people waiting for The 1975 Finsbury Park tickets to go on sale then this. 

Bottom line if I was not already doing something on that day, there is no way I would buy a ticket and I like Massive Attack! 

Fair enough and I hear you. Though still maintain that any act that plays the O2 cannot possibly be considered niche.

And do think that story is anecdotal. I don't believe UK people in general have written off a band because of 1 gig out of 1,000 (that didn't even take place in the UK). 

It's impossible to know who was in the right about Mad Cool. How do you know whether Mad Cool didn't give them a full reassurance that there wouldn't be sound bleed only to go back on their word? They are the artist and they can tell the festival what they want and then then the promoter can say whether they can meet that need or not. And they weren't playing to their die hard fans, they were playing to a festival with 200 acts.

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

And do think that story is anecdotal. I don't believe UK people in general have written off a band because of 1 gig out of 1,000 (that didn't even take place in the UK). 

It's impossible to know who was in the right about Mad Cool. How do you know whether Mad Cool didn't give them a full reassurance that there wouldn't be sound bleed only to go back on their word? They are the artist and they can tell the festival what they want and then then the promoter can say whether they can meet that need or not. And they weren't playing to their die hard fans, they were playing to a festival with 200 acts.

I agree and it may well be anecdotal, I was not there and so don't even know who drew what sized audiences etc. 

However, I still don think they will be a huge success story (Ticket Shifters) for APE with all the potential other events across London. I guess time will tell as once the festival is over we will hear from those who attended. I am sure they will put on a fine show, I just don't think they will be the most desirable ticket in London or even at APE.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DR OK said:

Royal Blood doing This is Tomorrow on the 22nd. Must be well in with a shot for doing this as their southern gig unless they're doing Boardmasters and Y Not (e.g. foals UK festival tour last year)

Sat 30th or 31st 

That would be a real solid booking. Fingers crossed they get announced and on a day I can go. Even, if it clashed with other commitments,  I may have to off load those tickets to go.

I think if they are active this summer which "This is Tomorrow" sort of confirms , they will be one of the most sort after acts.  Hopefully, they will play somewhere I attend. 

3 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Haha I was in the tent waiting for them to come on at Mad Cool! 

Anyway I'm so up for this, makes coming down for Tame Impala worthwhile. Although fully don't intend on buying tickets for either anytime soon... 

I hope that put on a great show and you have a blast. But agree, I would not rush to get tickets just yet.

Three down three to go. Who do we reckon?

Think Lana Del Rey is a cert. She’s about and seems a perfect fit for this festival.

For a heavier day Biffy and Royal Blood are both about - how about a super co-header with those two. Think that would probably sell out.

Arcade Fire been rumoured for ages but no sign of them touring? The National are about but they played here two years ago and BST last year - surely that’s too soon. The Strokes are also around. Could they put them on again after their sound problems last year.

If they want a dad/lad rock day could easily see someone like The Stereophonics doing it. Their stock still seems pretty high and would sell well with the right line up. 

Who do we reckon for the last three then?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John L said:

Three down three to go. Who do we reckon?

Think Lana Del Rey is a cert. She’s about and seems a perfect fit for this festival.

For a heavier day Biffy and Royal Blood are both about - how about a super co-header with those two. Think that would probably sell out.

Arcade Fire been rumoured for ages but no sign of them touring? The National are about but they played here two years ago and BST last year - surely that’s too soon. The Strokes are also around. Could they put them on again after their sound problems last year.

If they want a dad/lad rock day could easily see someone like The Stereophonics doing it. Their stock still seems pretty high and would sell well with the right line up. 

Who do we reckon for the last three then?

No chance for the National or The Strokes. Arcade Fire looking increasingly unlikely. Lana, agree looking likely. Stereophonics, eek.